Reglan for low supply?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof5, Jan 23, 2012.

1. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

So, Emma is 3 weeks old now. I have been nursing and pumping every 3 hours and still have low supply. After talking to a LC I called my OB and she prescribed Reglan. Any info you have on it or experience with it? Thanks!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I never used it so I cannot help you out there. Have you had issues before with past kids?

3. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just talk with your dr regarding possible side effects. Reglan is also used to help babies stomachs empty faster. The side effects some kids have had is a ticking of sort that doesn't go away. One of the drs prescribed it for Mitchell after he was born and my ped talked me into taking him off of it bc of the side effects.
    I am not usually leary of drugs but this one did scare me a bit. There are other drugs out there to help with your supply...have you looked into any of them?

Here is some info on what I found

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Reglan has some very serious potential side effects, both for you and for your baby. Please talk to your doctor or research the side effects before you decide to use it. My Piper was prescribed Reglan while in the hospital (it can help a baby's stomach empty) but the NICU neonatologist advised we not use it due to the very real chance of an infant contracting tardive dyskinesia, a condition which include involuntary and repetitive movements of the body, even after the drugs is no longer taken. There's actually a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer of Reglan now.

The risk of tardive dyskinesia may be worth it if you need to increase your supply in order to continue breastfeeding... but for us, dealing with severe reflux, it wasn't. Sorry to be a downer - but please do some research before you make a choice.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Reglan worked very well to increase my supply, and my children are a-okay. I will tell you that I had some horrible anxiety attacks while taking it...I am not sure if it was the Reglan that caused them but I believe it is a side affect.

6. JMB

JMB Active Member

I used Reglan until I could get my shipment of domperidone from overseas. I think the domperidone worked better for me to help increase supply, but I'm not completely sure. Reglan did make me VERY sleepy...just what you need with newborn twins. Domperidone didn't have any side effects for me other than a grumbly tummy. Good luck!

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I took reglan for a few months and I had no side effects. I saw a modest increase in supply. Keep in mind that it will stimulate your body to make more but you still need to put baby to breast very often to send your body the right signals. Maybe try a nursing marathon where someone else watches your others and you just settle into bed with tv or a book, plenty of water and snacks, and nurse her whenever she's awake. Has the LC made sure she is latching well enough to drain your breast? Sometimes a poor latch or tongue tie can affect supply.