Registration fees

Discussion in 'General' started by rissakaye, Aug 7, 2010.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly, I don't mind the school supply list. Ours is quite reasonable. If I only bought the list, I have spent maybe $15 tops per kid. But I stock up at the sales so I have extra for the school year and for when the kids need it at home.

What really bothers me is the registration fees. What are those even for? Where does that money go? Ours is $75 per child that is just labeled registration. And then an additional $25 per child for computer lab fees. I know the district right next to us is only $35 total per child, so ours is feeling pretty steep at the moment.

So, what are your fees? And can anybody tell me where that money goes?

Marissa

2. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Is this a public school? We (I work at one) don't have fees at all, and a very modest supply list.
    The church pre-school the girls attended had a registration fee. I think they used it for supplies and materials, and so they could start off with money to operate. The only thing that bothered me was that while tuition was discounted for 2nd child, registration fee wasn't. I'm thinking it was around $50 each, but it's been a while.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

At the kids old preschool, the registration fee was $75 per kid. At their new one it's a $60 family :rolleyes: registration. :pardon: I really don't know why they ask for it. I personally think it's ridiculous.

4. rissakaye

Yes, it a regular public school. Every school I've ever seen has had registration fees, growing up in Kentucky or here in Kansas in our area. I've just always wondered where that money went too. Especially when neighboring districts have less than 1/2 the fee we do.

Marissa

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Our public schools don't have registration fees. I've never heard of public schools with registration fees in the states we have lived in either (WA, FL)

6. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a registration fee. Ick.

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

No registration fees here. We don't have the book rental/deposits either that I've seen others post about. I guess I can't complain.

8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our public schools don't have registration fees. The preschool did.

9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

At the high school, our general registration fees are $20 per child but then each class has its own fees and/or lab fees. I usually end up writing checks to the high school totaling somewhere between $150 - $200, depending upon the courses the boys have that semester. Then we pay new registration fees for the second semester after Christmas, minus the $20 general registration fee.

In elementary school, I think the registration fee was something like $35 per child. I can't remember.

It definitely adds up especially when you add in the cost of the school supplies yet. I just went to Target and spent $140. :eek:

10. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

No registration fees for us either. The elementary school the girls attend hired a full-time computer and spanish teacher on their own, and those salaries, along the a computer tech, are paid for by the parents. I think computer fees are $110/per kid/per year and spanish fees are $95/per kid/per year. The rest is being subed by the PTA.

11. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I had never heard of public schools having fee's until recently. I don't believe the schools in my area have fee's but we are still a ways away from that.

What happens if some kids can't pay the fee's? How does that work?

12. rissakaye

I'm not sure what happens if someone won't pay the fee. If a child qualifies for free or reduced lunches, all fees are automatically waved.

Here are the fees I know about-
    registration fee- $75
    technology fee- $25
    all day kinder fee- around $2500 per child
    bus fee if closer than 2.5 miles- capped at $150 per household
    there are 3% fees if you pay online for the fees

From talking to people, I know there are alot more fees when they are older. Music fee for band is $100ish. There are activity fees for all the sports and activities.

Marissa

13. Mama_Kim

If you qualify for reduced or free lunches, fees are waived. I don't know what happens if you don't pay your registration fees otherwise. I'm sure you don't get kicked out for not paying though! :lol: They might hold back your child's report cards/grades because our elementary school used to do that if you owed library fines or had overdue books at the end of the year but I really don't know. I guess you're just considered a deadbeat if you don't pay! ;) :rofl:

14. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

No registration fee or supply list here.

15. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a registration fee for public school! That just seems bizarre to me! The only time I've heard of anything resembling that is if full day kindergarten is optional, some districts charge for it, like daycare.

16. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No registration fees at public schools here in MD. I had never heard of them until someone on here told me she had to pay one and I was shocked.

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

dang...some of those fees are as much as college lab/activity fees! as far as I know I don't think our public schools have fees - or they didn't when I was in school...guess I'll find out next year before K

18. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Are your registration fees the same thing as your book rental fees? We have to pay 47.00/year for book rental for Kindergarten and the all day Kinder fee is 125.00/month. I just noticed that there aren't any book rental fees listed and thought maybe that was what your registration fees were.

19. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

No fees here, I'm in OK.

20. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

We have have no fees for our public schools here. My dh thinks that we have no fees though because we have high property taxes and a lot of that goes to our schools. But not sure why we have no fees, our school also supplies all items for school too.

21. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

No registration fees for public school here either - there are fees for extracurriculars and I think there were some workbook fees in elem and lab/workbook fees in HS. We do get a school supply list. For K it wasn't that bad. I haven't bought it yet so maybe I shouldn't say that yet. :laughing: Were walkers here but I don't think there is a bus fee, I think they have extended out the walking zone though.

Now for preschool the $50 registration fee is per child, no family discount. There is a 30% discount for a third child on monthly tuition but NO discount for two.:angry:

22. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, I've never heard of "registration" fees. I know when Lauren started middle school they were having a "fee" for PTO which I believe was $30 per family. And now at high school the PTO fee is $15/family but it is optional. Hum.... :huh: :pardon:

23. debid

debid Well-Known Member

It's illegal in TN to require fees to be paid for any public school classes taken for grades or credit. Period. They can ask/request/beg, but they cannot require and cannot refuse access if you do not pay. That said, I'm fine with paying the $15/kid that is requested because I believe the money is helpful and our property taxes are very low. I'm also donating items to the classroom that they are requesting because I believe those items contribute to a happier learning environment (parties are great!)

There have been a number of incidents of deceptive wording being used to get additional funds from parents. The schools are supposed to provide notice that payment is not required when they send any sort of notice requesting a fee for something. Obviously, extracurricular activities would have required fees and they are allowed to assess fees for damages/lost books/etc. But field trips during school hours? Free to participate. AND, the supply lists are optional too. You could send your child to school with nothing at all from the list and the school would provide any required materials for them using donations. Obviously, if everyone did that, it would greatly impact the school's budget and they would have to cut back in other areas.

I'm wondering with all of you who say your school requires fees for this and that, are you also being informed that the fees are recommended and needed... but not required for participation?

24. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We're in MS and I've never heard of registration fees at a public school. When I was in high school we had to pay fees for art and things like that. The district I work in is considered high poverty so I don't see them trying to get money out of anybody. (We're a little over 80% free/reduced lunch.) I have also never heard of book rental fees until reading this thread and the supplies thread. We do charge for lost/damaged books.

25. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Book rental for the girls is $87.75 each

Here is what it is per grade...

Kindergarten (Alt-day) $ 65.50
    Full day Kindergarten $ 88.75
    Grade 1 $103.50
    Grade 2 $ 88.25
    Grade 3 $ 90.50
    Grade 4 $ 93.00
    Grade 5 $ 92.25
    HA (High Ability) K/1 $ 78.75
    HA 2 $ 87.75
    HA 3 $ 87.75
    HA 4 $ 92.25
    HA 5 $ 97.75
    Middle School
    Grade 6 $159.00
    Grade 7 $148.00
    Grade 8 $149.70

High school varies depending on registered class.

26. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

Book & Materials Fee

*Part Time Pre-K.………………………………….……..$34.00

*Full Time Kindergarten..................................................... $67.00

*Part Time Kindergarten.................................................... $34.00

*Grades 1 through 4........................................................... $67.00

*Grades 5 through 8........................................................... $78.00

*Grades 9 through 12.........................................................$175.00
    THE ABOVE FEES ARE LIMITED TO $250 PER FAMILY. YOU MAY PAY THE FAMILY FEES AT ANY SCHOOL.

Grades 4 through 12.(Student Assignment Books)...........$6.00

Drivers Education.............................................................. $50.00

P.E. Uniform ……………............…$15.00 grades 5 though 12

FFA Membership Dues…………...…....….............…….$10.00

Music Fees (paid at registration)

Band Fee Grade 5 ...........................................$26.00

Band Fees Grade 6..........................................$26.00

Band/Choir Fee Grades 6 through 8......$26.00 (pay one only)

Athletic (paid at time of activity)

Middle School........................................................$55.00 per sport

High School............................................................$66.00 per sport
    Cafeteria Prices
    Elementary School (K-4) .............Secondary Schools (5-12)

Breakfast - Regular-$1.25...................Breakfast-Regular-$1.50

Breakfast - Reduced-$0.30.................Breakfast-Reduced-$0.30

Class A Lunch - Regular-$1.75.... Class A Lunch-Regular-$2.00

Class A Lunch - Reduced-$0.40.Class A Lunch-Reduced-$0.40

Class A Lunch - Adult-$2.50.............Class A Lunch-Adult-$2.50

The school district will distribute application forms and instructions at the time of registration for those wishing to apply for free or reduced price meals.

Athletic Admission Prices (non-tournament)

High School - Adult...............................................................$4.00

High School - Student...........................................................$3.00

Middle School - Adult...........................................................$4.00

Middle School - Student...................................................... $3.00

27. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, I have never heard of a book rental fee either. :huh:

28. Kathlene

Kathlene Well-Known Member

Those book fees are just crazy. Isn't that what our taxes supposedly pay for. Our reg. fee's are 14.00 for the lower grades and 35.00 for higher grades. These fees are not optional here in SC. I just had to sign a promisary note saying when I would pay the 14.00 reg fee when I reg one of my daughters. This fee is required every year here, even if you do qualify for free lunch. If you don't pay it they will not give you your report card or allow you to register the next year until it is paid. Also no grades or transcripts will be given if all fees, over due fines, whatnots are not paid in full.

29. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We don't have any type of registration or book fees here. We do pay for any extra curricular activities and field trips.

30. Mama_Kim

No, it is never mentioned. Only for those who qualify for free or reduced lunch is there ever any mention of not requiring payment for registration fees. And the school supplies list? Well, I know the teachers would be picking up the tab for my children if I didn't send the supplies in and our teachers don't make that much to begin with! So, not an option, even if it is an option.

One thing about TN is our property taxes are low and we have no state income tax so school budgets are tight, hence the registration fees and expensive supply lists. Yes, our sales tax is high but now with the tax free weekends (like this one) prior to school starting at least we don't have to pay sales tax on school supplies.

Now book rental fees? I'd never heard of a school district charging to rent textbooks. Hmmm.

31. Code

Code Well-Known Member

We had book rental fees of $40 a class in year 12 so it came out around $200 for the year :hush: Registration fee was around $40 also. plus we had high cost for each class we took. One off the top of my head was around $300 for 3 semesters out of 4 semesters as year 12 is only 3 semesters (6months).

ETA : This was a public school.

32. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

No fees but I have seen in the high school that some classes have fees instead of supply list such as science might need $5 and then regular supplies

33. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

No fees or book rentals in Florida public schools.

34. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. I thought that was the point of taxes . . . never heard of book rental fees either. Our property tax was $130 last year. Then again, OK is not known for its stellar school systems.

35. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Never heard of school fees ..that's crazy!! In mississippi and NV we have no fees and only small supply lists.