Recommendations on Toddler Tracking Device

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Sep 26, 2010.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys are 2 1/2 and one is a roamer. We went camping over the weekend and they were in the car watching a dvd. The 8 year old we were with decided to undo their car seat straps because they were fussing and open the car door to let them out without telling us. :shok:

Needless to say, Josh went roaming and we spent a good 5 minutes in pure panic mode. It was at night and with the help of the other campers he was found near the bathrooms. :eek:

I've been doing some research on the toddler tracking devices and was wondering if they are worth the money (betweeen $25-50). I've seen some good and bad reviews. I'm not looking for a gps tracking system but something I can attach to their coat and if they get away from us I can push a button and it will emit a high pitch.

I pray I will never have to use it, but after this weekend I want to prepar myself just in case it ever happens again.

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I thought about doing something like that with my fearless runners. I looked at the cute bear type and it's cute but it only goes to 150 ft. For the same money, you can get this thing that goes to 300 ft. Not as cute but my kids run fast so that's where I was leaning when I realized that I'd have to clip it somewhere and would likely find a pile of clothes rather than toddlers since they were as fond of undressing as they were of running off.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Wow! I didn't even know that they made something like that. The girls at the rink always joke with me about getting a dog training collar and putting it around the wrist so I can keep track of my little ones. (Of course, it's all in fun!) But after loosing one twin this weekend at the rink, I'd definitely look into a real safe alternative!!! Thanks for the info. Both of my twins run.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I would just say you got your freebie (as I read in "The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers" -- God gives everyone one freebie). Kids roam, and you learned that an 8yo is not a trustworthy babysitter. Just like I learned that the Denver Children's Museum is bigger than I thought it was, after it took us 15 minutes to find Amy one time. Or the mom whose kid walked straight out of a bookstore (where I was working) and towards a busy street, and when I ran out, grabbed him, and hauled him back, she still thought he was right behind her in the children's section.

Anyway, it happens, but I think companies like that are mostly preying on fear. Unless you have a zillion toddlers to keep track of on a regular basis, I can't believe it is truly necessary.

5. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

What a scare that must have been! I'm glad it turned out ok.

I'm not familiar with those tracking items but if you find one with good reviews...one way to look at the it is...the $50 will seem like very little cost if you ever need it.

When the girls are older and have a cell phone, I wouldn't mind having the ability to track them in an emergency.