Reasons your Dr. pulled you out of work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Specky, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm just looking for reasons dr's pull people out of work, other than PTL.

My dr. asked me at my last appt (26wks 5days-uterus measuring 36wks-and i've only gained 24lbs so far, but i'm tall, I figure I have more room) if I had talked with my supervisor about going to work part time at some point. I scoffed at him, cause at the time I felt great...now at almost 28wks...ugh...by the end of the day I am soooo tired and my belly hurts...I really can't believe how my energy has sapped...but I feel guilty if I would need to work part time or not at all. I think I'm still a few weeks away from that, but now I'm realizing that this is a true possibility.

Do dr's pull you out of work just because your tired and sore??

Any thoughts, suggestions to ease the guilt...i also should add...i just started this position about 4wks ago, and it's in the birthing pavillion...I figured they would be much more understanding...i don't think they are...

Thanks everyone!

Wooo hooo I've made it this far! (who knew?!)

reb

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I reduced my hours at 28 weeks because I was tired and sore. I reduced them more at 30, and then was pulled out at 34 because I had started showing signs of pre-e. My doctor said she couldn't write a note until there was a medical necessity to do so. Without that note, I wouldn't have received my maternity leave pay, so I had to stick it out, and it was hard. I can feel your pain. :hug:

3. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I was about 22 weeks or so and I was having severe chest/rib pains because of the amount of stress work was putting on me. It is so not worth it if work wears you out. Your main job is to cook those babies. So they wouldn't understand you having to cut work back at a birthing center? Odd but I do remember right before I went out of work one of the dr's refused to do it because she said dr's get pg and work on their feet all day so I could do it too! A week later I was in the L & D ward with more pains and getting a note to leave work until delivery!

4. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

There are a lot of doctors, including mine, that take mom's of multiples out of work around 28 weeks simply because they are carrying more than one baby. I had zero complications at 28 weeks when I left work. I felt great for awhile, but by 32 weeks I was glad to be out and now at 36 weeks I can't even move around on my own! The reason I was told that my doctor takes mom's of twins out at 28 weeks is to reduce the stress of work to help prevent PTL, even if you aren't showing any signs of it. So, do not feel guilty for thinking you need to stop/slow down work. It can only help your babies in the long run. I really believe being out of work has helped me last this long.

5. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

I'm still working 40 hrs/wk on my feet (surgery) at almost 27wks. My OB has asked at every appt how I'm doing as we knew it was only a matter of time before my hours were dropped. Last week I started having more BH and tightening while at work (and at home if I'm really active) so my OB and I decided that in a week (Sept 29th) I'll be dropping down to 30hrs a week and go from there.

I'm hoping to make it to 32 wks at the reduced hours and then if need be I'll stop work all together till after maternity leave.

We just want to keep these babies in there as long as possible and to hopefully avoid bedrest.

6. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

My doctor said it depends on how I am. She said every time i come in she will asess me and determine if I should keep going or not.
    My next appt with her I will be about 28 weeks which is in about a week and I am doing fine. I work 40 hours but my job isnt stressful, I can sit a lot, and I have no pain and my cervix and fluids are good. At 30 weeks I will see her again, then at 32......I hope to go to 36. Unless of course I have them before then.

A lady at my moms work however ha sa doctor who does the auto 28 week thing. Plus it probably also depends on the stress at home-how many other young kids you have, etc...my dd is 6 so I dont have stress and tons to do at home.

7. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I was put on bed rest around 30 weeks for massive swelling in my legs. The plan was to work from home so I could stay off my feet for a week to allow the swelling to resolve. I ended up in the hospital with PTL the day before my appointment to see if I could go back to work. At that point, I stopped working from home and went on short-term disability until the twins were born.

8. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I am a SAHM, But my DR would have pulled me out at 26-29 weeks just because i was carrying twins. No other reason. I didnt have PTL at all and i carried until 38 weeks.

9. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I had a very cool doctor who told me that the babies were the number one priority and if needed, there were ways he could word a medical excuse to cause no doubts that I needed a leave of absence or reduced duties. He kind of left it up to me on when I thought I should start cutting back. But I had a job (asst. director of food services for a university so a lot of setting up caterings, on your feet preparing food, running heavy carts around, etc.) that took a toll on me and at around 26 weeks I told my doc that at the end of my workdays I would get this tightening feeling all over my tummy, and feel tired and worn out, and he said, AH, those are BHs and I think you should leave work, I agreed. I did desk work for awhile but I was still called to do things I really shouldn't have been doing and finally went on leave around 28 weeks. As my doc put it, you have your entire life to work but only these few months to do the best you can to grow these little lives.

10. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you read any of my dilemna from last week (what a dilemna it was and I'm SO glad it's over) but the DR wrote me out at my 26 week appointment because of my complaints basically. I can't really drive anymore (not safely...stomach too big and I'm too short) and I've been having those horrible dizzy spells and exhaustion. I was just done and didn't want to go anymore if I didn't have to. Amazingly my disability company approved me on the not able to drive reason. My DR didn't want to add the dizziness on the paperwork because he thought it wasn't that important. It was a stressful week. SO glad it turned out good and is over. Anyway - I feel for you. In the last week I can tell my energy has just been zapped. Even laying on the couch most of the day I am exhausted. I went to a wedding (an all day/evening event) on Saturday and I'm still recovering. Yesterday I couldn't even get off the couch I just ached and was so tired. I would do what is most comfortable for you (of course follow your DRs advice) and I'd have a talk with your supervisor to find out what their view is and give them a heads up. You would think they would realize with you being pregnant with twins you're most likely going to go out early. Good luck and get some rest!!! :)