Reasons DR's take you out of work / Time frame

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by LMW1015, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

My Peri hasn't said a time that he will definitely take me off work. He's been taking things appointment by appointment. I am high risk for preterm labor due to my history but at my 18 week appointment my cervical length was 5 cm so he was very happy with that. Now I'm kind of scared for some silly reason that I'm going to be working forever. I'm not super uncomfortable yet but I have a lot of hip pain at night so I don't sleep well (so I'm really tired) and my back is starting to hurt more. Yesterday I went home early because I was in tears I was in so much pain (just back pain). Hopefully this won't be a daily thing but I really hurt. I spent the rest of the night laying on the couch. In your experience will they take you off work for reasons other than PTL? I'm very lucky that my company pays me 100% for the first 4 weeks off and then 70% off for the rest of the time plus maternity time so I'm not overly concerned about the pay. I'd like to try and make it to Aug. 28th because they will only do the salary continuation for 25 weeks a year and if I make it to 37 weeks then Aug. 28th gives me enough time to cover most of what I'll need. Anyway - what are reasons they take you off work and when have other people been taken off? Thanks!!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I know 28 weeks is a common time for doctors to take people off work. I had a great twin pregnancy and that would have driven me nuts, but my doctor was very laid back.

3. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

My doctor told me I could work until I felt like I needed to stop or until there was a medical reason to stop. I stopped at 29 weeks due to being put on bed rest. I was having like 8-10 contractions an hour and medications were not stopping it. I started having those around 24 weeks.

4. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I was able to finish out the school year and that was it. I'm on modified bedrest due to high bp and all that fun stuff. I was around 24 weeks I think when the doctor put me on modified bedrest.

5. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

My doctor is taking me out at 28 weeks (friday is my last day!!!). He takes all moms of twins out at 28 weeks. I have had no complications or signs of preterm labor. I think his theory is that you are at risk for ptl just because you are having twins and there is no use waiting until you are in ptl to take you out of work if the reduced stress of being out could prevent it.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My doctor told me I could work until I felt like I needed to stop or until there was a medical reason to stop.

This is pretty much what mine said too. She said my body would tell me when it was time.

I had originally planned to work full-time till 30 weeks and then part-time till 36 weeks. It turned out that my body could not handle working full-time past 26 weeks (everything just hurt), so I went part-time then. I made it 3 more weeks that way, then had an episode of PTL (not productive labor, just lots of contractions) and spent one night in the hospital. At that point my OB said no more work.

Anyway, it sounds like your body is telling you that it's almost time. Is there any way you can make working a bit more comfortable -- is there a place to lie down (I know, hah!) or at least put your feet up for 10 minutes every hour or so? Can you get some extra pillows for your desk chair? (That made a big difference for me.) If the pain is making it impossible for you to work, then it's time to stop or at least slow down.

7. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

My OB and I had a talk early on at 16 weeks because I have a 10 month old, a history of PTL, and am a floor nurse that works 12 hr shifts. She basically said that she foresaw bedrest in my future if nothing changed so we both decided that since I had a short term disability policy that I would leave work then and there. I have had no complications so far either. I don't think you should wait until your doc takes you off if you are getting uncomfortable. I am certain if you told them you wanted to stop they would have no problem filling out the paperwork for you. Listen to your body. I hope you are able to make it until your goal date though if that makes it easier and less stressful for your family. Good luck! :)

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My doctor took me out of work at 32 weeks. No real explaination for it, everything was going good. I didn't fight him on it because I was big and tired. :)

9. melissa1

melissa1 Well-Known Member

I talked to my ob when I was about 26 weeks because I was having a lot of leg pains and was afraid I was going to fall I put in two weeks and ended up leaving just before 28 weeks..My leg pain is gone now :p , but I am sooo tired all the time I just could not imagine working right now! If you feel like you should be off your body knows best!

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I was put on modified bedrest at 24 weeks because I was having contractions. Fortunately I was able to work from home.

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I ended up in the hospital for two days due to preterm labor at 31 weeks and they stopped it-and I got the steroid shot, I was sent home on bedrest and meds-therefore no more work. It worked...I delivered at 36 weeks. It was a long 5 weeks but worth it-my babies had no NICU time.
    I had planned to work up until delivery if I had no complications, and my doctor was fine with that.
    Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

12. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I was down to 1/2 days at 28 weeks after a Preterm labor scare. Then I was having so many braxton hicks I couldn't do it anymore and quit at 32 weeks totally. Had the girls at 36 weeks. It was a LONG boring 4 weeks!

13. Alli Baby

Alli Baby Well-Known Member

Bedrest at 23/24 weeks for me due to PTL. The babies came at 33 weeks.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. It stinks that you can't take pain meds while pg. I hope you make it long enough to get to your goal :)

14. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My MFM took me out of work and put me on bedrest at 30 weeks when for the first time in the pregnancy my Mono-Di boys showed a 20% weight discordance. I laid around until 35w 1d and after she did an amnio to check their lung maturity and found they had mature lungs - she delivered them via c-section. And happily, they arrived only 4oz apart - 5lb 11oz and 5lb 7oz!

Good luck!

15. brittany83

brittany83 Member

My doctor reduced my hours to 6/day at 28wks, because I was so tired and hurt alot. And reduced my hours to 4/day at 30wks for the same reason. I went into labor at 31+wks so he took me completely out of work then.

16. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

I am hoping, desperately-to make it to 32 weeks FT. I havent been at my job long so I dont get any benefits for them for Maternity leave-just normal state disability at 55%.
    Its gonna kill me for any amount of time but more than 2.5-3 months is just not feasable at all so i am scared.
    I am not working FT now, so that probably is helpful to my progress- and will start August 18th-so I need to make it to Nov 18th so I have 3 months of FT pay.
    I didnt have any issues with my dd, so i hope I will be okay. I am almost 18 weeks and feel fine-no pain and I havent been sick or anything. But you never know.....its scary.

17. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I was taken out of work at 18 weeks by the peri, but my cervix was only measuring a little over 2 (which we expected, because I have had a previous cervical surgery). So, I was put on bedrest at 18 weeks.

18. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for all of the replies!! They were all very helpful! I think I'll mention the back pain to my DR just so he's aware. I sit at a desk all day and I do have a back pillow and I have a stool to put my feet up on. It's just hard sitting here all day. I feel so much better laying down. I've been trying to get up and move around more during the day but it's difficult because we're in a "call center" environment and I basically get doc'd against when I'm not attached to the phone. It's no fun. I seem to do "ok" until the afternoon so maybe he can reduce my hours just a bit until the first of September so I can make it to my goal. We'll see how things go. :) Thanks again for all of the replies!! It's so helpful!

19. spiveyplustwins

spiveyplustwins Well-Known Member

I was put on Part-Time work around 31 weeks because I was having SO MANY braxton hicks at night from working all day. At 34 weeks I was put on bedrest due to preterm labor. My cervical length was long as well (6cm). At 34 weeks I was 4 cm dialated and my water broke at 35 1/2 weeks.

20. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I sat at a desk all day, too, with a foot stool and a comfy chair. I worked right up until I delivered, but if my job had involved anything physical or required me to be on my feet for any length of time, I would not have lasted as long as I did. The hardest part of my job was making it to my desk from the parking lot! Good luck!