Question for 1, 2 yr old twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twoboys3, Nov 23, 2006.

1. twoboys3

twoboys3 Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have the question of all times... Does it get easier when there that age? Do you look back at the first year and think oh what a rough year or do you look back and think man was that easy compared to now?

Another question are your twins sharing a room or seperate?

Thanks Misty

2. twoboys3

twoboys3 Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have the question of all times... Does it get easier when there that age? Do you look back at the first year and think oh what a rough year or do you look back and think man was that easy compared to now?

Another question are your twins sharing a room or seperate?

Thanks Misty

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I think the first 6 mo. of that first year were the hardest. Now, I think it's just a different set of issues you face. For instance, they are mobile and into everything, it takes 10 X's more time to get anyone ready b/c you have to chase the down to get coats, hats, mitten, sock/shoes on and then they rip them off by the time you get to the other one. They are frustrated due to lack of communication skills which can result in some hot tempers. But, everyday gets better too with what they're learning and what you learn to do with them. I'd say it's difficult some days, but nothing compared to those first 6 mo.

Oh, and mine share a room with seperate cribs.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Hi Misty,
    There was a thread about it just a little while ago -- you might be able to find it in the archives.

So far, I think the first 4 months were the hardest. 5-9 months was pretty easy. Around 9-10 months they got much more mobile and it got more challenging, but still not "harder" in the sense of more unpleasant. Just more complicated, but also more fun. That's still the current trend -- every week is a little more complicated as they get more and more mobile and into everything, but also more fun. You couldn't pay me to go back to the first 4 months.

I have heard, though, that 12-18 months (or 14-20, or 11-15, or some variation) tends to be hard, then it gets better again after that.

Share a room, separate cribs.

5. batonchik

batonchik Member

hey,
    definately the first 6 months were the hardest. My sister is expecting her second baby and just thinking about that age makes me question if I should have aqny more kids. zI think that for sure the older they get the easier it gets.

6. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Easier? Well, in some ways. However, we're at the age when they do not listen to anything you say (for example, "do not touch the radio") and you tell them no 100 times and they still do it but you really can't "punish" them cuz they really don't get it and they think it's just one big game. I'm at a loss with these boys. (This was our experience at Gramdma and Grandpa's non-childproofed home today [​IMG]).

As for sharing a room, they will be sharing one until they move out on their own. It would have been that way if they were singletons, too.

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Agreeing pretty much with the PP's. It's not harder really, just new challenges. You couldn't pay me to go back to the first months either. At least I sleep all night, there's a lot to be said for sleeping. It's not constant tending to babies like it was then.

The lack of communication (they can't talk and have no idea what I am saying most of the time) is probably the biggest source of frustration. I have the experience of saying "don't touch that" 100 times too with them just laughing and smiling and keep on doing it. The teething and whininess I could do without, but it comes and goes. I find keeping them on Tylenol helps, and constantly changing things (go out, different activity, etc)

8. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

for me (so far at least) there is nothing harder than that first year. My son didn't sleep thru the night until 6 months, and my daughter didn't until she was a year. Lack of sleep, especially good, solid, consistent sleep, makes everything so much harder in my book.

My twins are 2.5 or so now, and its just so much easier. yes, they have attitudes sometimes, and bicker sometimes, but they can walk where we are going, I don't have to haul a large bag with us every time we go out. I go out so much more than I did, and its just a ton easier.

There will always be difficulties (oh how I dread the teen years. I'm even concerned about the grade school years), but each age is also so special. And time really does fly. Even if it may not seem so now, this age will be over before you know it.

My twins did share a room for the first year and a half of their life, but then we switched them. my son now shares a room with his older brother, and his twin has her own room. I think that works out well. Katie should have been in her room all alone to begin with...she likes it that way. Andrew likes being with someone, so he's fine with his big brother.

9. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

We had an extremely difficult first year (preemies, reflux, weight gain issues etc.), and I can nearly bring myself to tears just thinking about it! For us, things gradually got better, and around 18 months they really improved. Things are somewhat easier right now, but more important than being easier, they are better - meaning a lot more enjoyable. Yes, there are new challenges that come with them growing up a little more, but they are little people now and it's so much fun to see their personalities develop and to watch them try to figure things out. So, things are definitely still hard in many ways, but a huge improvement. Hoping it will keep going in the right direction.

-Rachel

10. kelly79

kelly79 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I didnt think the first year was too difficult. It did take some adjusting and figuring out schedules, etc....but I guess we were lucky with the girls sleeping and eating fine. Now its harder (20mos) because its the definite defiance period...where they are constantly challenging you. Our girls pretty much had different rooms from 3 months on. They are totally different in sleeping needs.