Quad-helix expander

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by my2boys, May 17, 2007.

1. my2boys

my2boys Well-Known Member

The boys had their 6 month dentist check up and the dentist told me that Brendon is developing a cross bite. The dentist wants to install a quad-helix expander in Brendons mouth. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this done to their kids. Brendon has a lot of speech issues and I was really concerned as to what this would do to his speech. Brendon is also very whinny and presistant and I am just imagining a major ordeal with this new thing in his mouth. I have talked to both of his speech therapist and they were both surprised that he wanted to do this at such a young age. They both agree that if that's what needs to be done that we should just go ahead and get it over with. It cost 625.00 up front and then our insurance would reimburse us half. So, anyone out there with experience, how did it go, was it worth it?

2. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

Ok if its the same thing they want to do to my daughters he's WAaaaY to young? My oldest is 10 and has a crossbite. She has to have an expander. Ask the orthodontist if he has to wear a retainer afterwards to keep it in place. If he does then he's too young. From what we were told after she has the expander she has to wear a retainer because young bones shift and grow. So in order to keep it in place she'll need the retainer. At 8 they tried to get us to get it done but she would of been wearing a retainer for a very long time. Now at 10 its a much shorter period. If he can wear it without the use of a retainer afterward then I'd say go for it because you'll be saving him from more problems later. We just knew my dd would #1 be miserable with a retainer that long and #2 she'd break it or lose it.