preparing for babies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by christinam, Jun 12, 2010.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I am 29.5 weeks with di/di twin girls and am already starting to get things ready. We've had the cribs set up for a couple weeks. I washed the all the baby clothes today and will do the bedding tomorrow. I packed my bag today too. I am going to install the car seats on Wednesday. The doctor scheduled me for a c/s for 37wk just to have me on the books. He said if both babies were head down they would just induce me that week instead. I feel weird getting everything done already but at the same time that's only like 50 something days away! I might not even make it to 37wks! I have already had three babies and with my last I was 3cms at 37wks. I just feel odd doing all this already.

2. samantha83

samantha83 Well-Known Member

I am 16 weeks tomorrow. I am with you all the way. I plan on getting things ready as soon as I possibly can! I don't want to wait till the last minute and have my DH and family being the ones who get to decorate the room. I only have one other child and when she was born we traveled a lot. So this will be my first time to have nursery and I want to be the one who decides where everything is going to go.

3. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I would say do it while you feel like doing it! I had my guys at 36 weeks and I know I wouldn't have felt like doing too much past that point, so I'm glad we were pretty much done. It's also nice if you're a control freak like me :laughing: because doing it now means it gets done like you want!

Laura

4. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I think you are doing it all at a perfect time!! Maybe even a little late for my comfort level. I am a little over 22 weeks and pretty much have it all done. Cribs set up, bedding washed and in place, clothing washed, diapers purchased, bottles sterilized, etc, etc. Still need to order a glider and paint a dresser I am wanting to spuce up. My bag is packed and I have my DD's overnight bag packed in case if she needs to go off to Mi Mi's or Nana's :laughing: I am planning to have DH install carseats around 27 weeks or so. My DD was born at 29 weeks to the day and I want to be prepared, GOd forbid, if we have another early delivery. In addition, I am already HUGE and uncomfy, and I cannot imagine waiting another month to do it all. While a delivery at this point would be tragic, I wanna be ready (thinking bedrest at some point) I think you are doing it all right!

5. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

We had the cribs, glider, and changing table together around 25 weeks as well as a few smaller things purchased (some blankets, a few sheets and toys to put in crib while we wait), also had seats and stroller purchased but still in box. I had also picked up some swings and stuff from Craigslist that I had found cheap. Had my shower at 28 weeks so that's when we ended up with a lot of clothes and odds and ends like soaps, wipes, wash clothes, etc. Since the shower we have picked up more things and are now pretty much fully stocked EXCEPT for on what we probably need the most- diapers! We have ONE pack of diapers and 24 clothes that we want to try out before buying more because they are so expensive. Diapers are readily available though and I have a hard time stocking up not knowing what kind will fit best or we will like best, how big they will be, etc. And we want to use mainly cloth once they grow into them and stick with disposables for when we're out and need convenience and don't want to carry dirty cloths around.

I do still need to get a hospital bag together. I will probably work on that Monday or Tuesday.

6. chatongris

chatongris Well-Known Member

we have nothing ready and i am starting to freak. by all means, go ahead and get ready

7. christinam

Thanks ladies! You all make me feel better. I can be a bit OCD at times and feel the need to get everything done now. I do have some Pampers stocked but once I go through those I want to cloth diaper the babies. I already have a stash of cloth. I just need to buya few new covers but I do that when I am ready to start using them so I can get the right size. I got the rest of my hospital bag packed last night and am working on the bedding today. It feels good to check things off my list!

8. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

Yep, I spent yesterday washing all the clothes/blankets/sheets/mattress pads/swaddles/boppy covers/etc...I'm still not done. I got through three loads. Going up to our family cabin for the day today- probably for the last time for a few months anyway. Will have to finish up laundry tomorrow.

Have fun with the preparations!!

9. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I only wish I had done it sooner! I felt the same way as you, but ended up in the hospital from 20 weeks until 32 weeks when the babies were born. I never did get to set up their room. My husband and mom did it while I was in the hospital. I appreciated all their help of course, but missed out on doing that for myself :)

10. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

I think you are right on time for getting things done early! I ended up in the hospital with high blood pressure at 31w3d and I was soooo glad that 95% of the stuff was done at home as we faced the possibility of delivering early (we were able to get it under control and I am scheduled to deliver Friday at 36 weeks!). There is so much unknown about the end of a twin pregnancy - bed rest, pre-term labor, early delivery, sheer exhaustion, time and energy to shop for whatever else you need and a million other things, get stuff done in the second trimester if you can!

11. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I had met a woman who had her kids at 26 weeks so I made sure I was ready by 26 weeks. It was great because you can get so uncomfortable near the end it is nice not to worry about stuff. Let me add to your list..

batteries for everything - I have a basket full of various sizes.

charge up your camera & video camera

LEARN NOW how to use your video camera instead of last minute.

find a good photographer. In the end it will not be the outfits, the swings, .... it will be the pictures. Just like your wedding it is the photos that last.

Write a list "in order of importance" who to call -- phone numbers -- and buy a phone card for the hospital.

Start to write your birth story now. I purchased a journal and wrote things like foods I craved, things I worried about, I took it to the hospital and wrote how the birth went (c-section).

Start to fill out your baby books now. I had my mom write in them too so I had her writing. Know which photos you will need to have to put in there.

Stock up on plums, pear juice, prune juice, Colace -- stool softeners take them to the hospital and start the next day.

Enjoy some nights out with your dh. Seriously I hardly get out any more !!

Heather

12. christinam

This will be baby 4 & 5 for me. I charged my camera and packed the charger with my hospital bag. I have 7 weeks left for that charge the camera has now will be fine. My husband isn't the best with the digital cameras so I will get him one of those little instant cameras just in case! I am a picture nut so I want to make sure we have lots of pictures! I usually carry a notebook with tons of phone numbers in it. Last time when I had my third daughter I didn't even use it. I ended up just going down my address book in my phone and making calls. I also packed my second cell phone charger so I could have my phone the whole time. I bought those awesome twin baby books. I was just thinking last night I need to get on top of filling them out as best as I could. I need to talk to my mother-in-law about the family tree. I want to update all the kid's books with the family tree info. It's blank for my husbands side.

I do need to stock up on batteries. Once I buy bouncers/swings I will see what size they take and go and stock. The kid's toys are always running out so I need to stock the AA and AAA too.

13. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

It is definitely not too early! I was sailing right along with no problems until about 28 weeks - then BAM! Bedrest! I was totally not expecting it since I had had no problems until then! I did not have anything done, so I had to have people come over and help me - wash clothes, clean the house, make food, install car seats, etc. When I went on bedrest, I packed my bag and left it in the car - our hospital is 35 mins away...I had u/s twice a week after that, and my doc sent me right to the hospital after my 34 1/2 week visit. It was nice to know my bag was already with me!

I say go ahead and get things ready! It is exciting and fun and will help you in the long run especially towards the end when you get uncomfortable!

Hope all goes well for you!