pregnant and my twins just turned 2 - - needing encouragement!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by wvtwinmama, Jun 18, 2014.

1. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I haven't been on here for a while, but boy do I need you!  So, my sweet perfect twins just turned two last week, and my husband and I have been talking about how it has gotten so much easier and we love our little family and it is such a fun age.  And then I found out at a regular doctor appt this week that I'm pregnant (long story short, they asked when my last period was, which made me realize I was late even though I couldn't remember when my last period was, and two pink lines showed up pronto when I peed on a stick).  We hadn't decided yet if we would try for a third - - it took us a year of trying and a round of clomid to get our twins.  While we're really really happy, of course, I'm also pretty nervous.  I had a really rough pregnancy with my twins, including 4 months of bed rest due to preterm labor concerns (they came at 39 weeks and 1 day and were huge!), and I also had a painful pelvic separation after their birth.  Plus, I was a crazy lady for a few weeks after they were born, weepy and anxious and exhausted.  Please tell me that it is totally likely that this pregnancy will be easier (I'm *assuming* at this point there is only one in there; I'll go back to my doctor for an ultrasound next week) and that I'll be able to handle it even with twin toddlers.  And please tell me that caring for one infant at a time will be easier.  I love my twins so much and I hate to think I'll be taking time and attention away from them, but I was from a huge family and I know a sibling will be a real gift to them as well.  I'm also still nursing them, and wondering if I should wean.  Thanks all!

-Amy

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For me, one baby was night and day easier than two - even when that one baby came with two toddlers! ;) I did find I was more tired through the pregnancy - chasing two toddlers while pregnant is exhausting. I rounded up as much support as I could for the PP period, including hiring an amazing PP doula and had a blissful transition. I pretty much stayed in bed for two weeks after Emmett was born. The first time I left my house was for Emmett's two week PP check with my midwives (the earlier check ups were home visits from my midwives). It's seriously all a rosy glowing memory for me. :)

As for weaning, it's totally up to you! You don't "need" to wean unless you want to. Some women find their nipples become quite sensitive and so breastfeeding becomes uncomfortable. Your twins may wean themselves as well - milk volume usually decreases quite a bit and at some point during your pregnancy you'll begin making colostrum again rather than mature milk and not all toddlers are super keen on that. If you do continue breastfeeding, it's totally possible and doable to nurse all 3 once baby arrives. It's really just about what you prefer and what works best for your family.

Last, but not least, congratulations!! :D

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh my gosh, how exiting. My 3rd was not planned and found at a regular doc appointment, too. (I was in denial).

The pregnancy: So much easier! Yes, the boys were and are crazy, but we played a lot of games where I laid down and they ran around/jumped on the bed. I had no complications, barely any extra monitoring...it was just so easy and I loved that aspect.

The labor: I can't recommend Hypnobabies enough for helping me work through my extreme fear of labor and birth. My baby was born with little to no pain (ok, crowning for literally a second was painful). I had a minor complication, but was and am just fine. I had to rest and take iron supplements. The resting was just fine in my book!

3RD baby: Unbelievably easier. Exponentially easier. She's a good baby, but honestly I was prepared for normal newborn behavior and it hadn't between that long since my boys so it felt pretty natural.

Rachel has addressed the nursing aspect very well-do what works for you and your twins/new baby.

Congratulations again!

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your little "surprise!!"  Our third was also a surprise and send me in to a bit of a panic.  My twins were born early and I had many concerns with my next pregnancy but it was blissfully uneventful.  It was tougher in the fact that I could not rest as much since I still had to take care of the twins, but it was manageable.  I also had the postpartum crazies after the twins but they were not a problem with my other children.  Caring for one newborn is so much easier than twins... like, nearly effortless after the initial transition period.  I got very weepy with guilt before the birth of each of my singletons over the fact that my time was going to be divided even more and that there was going to be a "new" baby; I am pretty sure those thoughts are normal!

Congratulations again!  You can do this!  Keep us posted on the ultrasound :)

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

First of all - congratulations!

I had a very active and uneventful pregnancy with our third one after a twin pregnancy that included PTL and bedrest from week 20 to week 37 (they were born full-term in the end). It was a totally different experience, very enjoyable and easy despite my advanced age, working and caring for the twins.

Our baby is barely 5 weeks old, but so far caring for one baby is so relaxed compared to twinfants even though he started having pretty bad colics after about 2 weeks especially at night. I babywear him a lot to have my hands free for the twins and I am learning that nursing  does not have to mean sitting down, but that is ok. But I will add that our twins are pre-schoolers, so they are more independent and helpful than toddlers would probably be.

6. wvtwinmama

Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.  I'm just so worried about how I would handle bed rest this time around, given a different job and two toddlers to care for.  But I'm trying to stay hopeful that the terrible irritable uterus problems I had last time were because of carrying twins.  I'll keep everyone posted on next week's ultrasound.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Most likely it was the twin pregnancy. I had an irritable uterus with my twins and nothing with my singleton. Also, a recent study has shown that bed rest statistically does not improve outcomes for singletons and may cause harm so if you were faced with a doc recommending bed rest you could do some research and decide if you did want to do it or not.

8. wvtwinmama

Hi all,

Back from my ultrasound, and there is just one baby in there and we saw a heartbeat!  The heart rate measured a bit on the slower side, 102 bpm, but it looks like I'm just exactly 6 weeks.  My dr told me not to worry, so I'm trying to trust him instead of "Dr. Google".  Anyway, I'll go back to see him in 3 weeks.  Feeling nervous but excited!

-Amy

9. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your pregnancy, wvtwinmama!  I also just found out I am pregnant with #3, though it is still very early.  My twin girls are also two, and my husband and I wanted to try for one more.  The last six months or so with the girls have been great, and I was a little sad at the thought of not going through that again.  We still had one frozen embryo from the IVF cycles I did with the twins, so we thought that would be a good opportunity.  I'm thrilled to be pregnant, but also nervous; I'm very happy to read that one is much easier than two!  Of course, now I keep thinking about the sleeplessness, night feedings, bottles, daycare viruses that seem to be much worse in the first year (at least in our experience), being sick for a month straight, etc.  Oh, well - it will all work out somehow! 

10. wvtwinmama

Hi JenNH!  That's so exciting!  I'm happy to have a pregnancy buddy.  How are things going?  I'm about 10.5 weeks now, and cruising along.  I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks where the heartbeat was great, and was happy to see that.  I do apparently have a subchorionic bleed, but they said it was getting smaller and I haven't had any bleeding yet (thank goodness!)  I go back at 13 weeks.  It is strange to have a full 4 weeks in between appointments; with the twins I think I was in the doctors office every week, lol!  Anyway, I hope you're well.

11. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Thanks, wvtwinmama.  I was really excited, but I had my first ultrasound last week and the embryo could not be verified.  I should have been a little over six weeks and the US showed me at less than six weeks.  So there is a good chance that the embryo stopped developing, though I won't know for sure until my follow-up US on Thursday.  I'm pretty nervous and trying not to read too much into my nausea this morning - my dr said that the placenta and sac could continue to grow for a while even if the fetus is no longer viable.  I did have a little bleeding several weeks ago, but nothing since.  I guess I'm assuming the embryo stopped developing so I don't get my hopes up and get disappointed again on Thursday.  It is tough, but I am trying to count my blessings including my two wonderful daughters.

12. wvtwinmama

Hi Jen.  I'm sorry that's going on right now; I would be anxious too.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome.  Keep us posted.  I also know what you mean, though, about counting your blessings.  I feel so incredibly lucky and blessed to have my fantastic little twins.  Of course I want this pregnancy to go well and I've worried some since I'm a worrier by nature, but I also know I already have the best kiddos ever.  I'm sure your sweet girls are a comfort in your anxiety.  Sending good thoughts your way.

13. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Amy - it is much appreciated.  Unfortunately, the ultrasound today showed no change from last week, so it's definitive that the fetus stopped developing.  I'm pretty sad as this was likely our last best chance to conceive, but we'll keep trying on our own and see what happens.  Good luck with your pregnancy - I hope everything goes smoothly.

14. wvtwinmama

Thanks for updating us, Jen.  I am truly sorry for your loss.  Sending you peace and faith, and lots of best wishes that your next pregnancy is soon and smooth.

15. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss!  You and your family are in my thoughts.

16. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

So I am back, and much sooner than I thought (if at all!).  After 4 rounds of IVF to become pregnant with our daughters and the miscarriage this summer from the frozen embryo transfer, I because spontaneously pregnant just recently.  I'm only six weeks along, but we had an ultrasound this morning and everything looks good.  The doc told me there just a 10% chance of miscarriage at this point, so I'm crossing my fingers.  Even though I've already decided we will need new carseats for the girls to fit all three in a row and have started to calculate how much money we will be paying for three kids in daycare and when we may need a new house, I really am trying not to get too far ahead.  :)

17. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Ha, congratulations for your pregnancy!!! As someone who had IVF I am impressed by your strength to be able to do 4 rounds, and I am so happy to see that in spite of it all, this time it happened naturally. I hope I don't sound cheesy, but it seems like a miracle to me :).

Good luck to you and your family.

Monica

18. wvtwinmama

Jen that's such great news!!! I'm so excited for you. Keep us posted!!

19. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!  Almost eight weeks now and no problems so far.  Still crossing my fingers.  How is your pregnancy going, Amy?

20. wvtwinmama

It's going well, Jen - - thanks for asking! 32 weeks on Monday. I have to say that it's been *much* easier so far than my twin pregnancy (knock on wood). Though I suspect the last few weeks will be tough regardless of how many you're carrying! 8 weeks is awesome progress. Keep us posted!!!

21. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Amy - you must have given birth by now!  I hope everything went well!

I am 18 weeks and we found out yesterday that we are having a boy.  We're thrilled, and everything on the ultrasound looked normal, so that was also good to hear.