Powerwheels

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stephanie M, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Our twins will turn 3 in July. We are considering getting the kids powerwheels for their 3rd birthday. We have a small one seater now that my DD is good at driving; however, DS is horrible. What do you think about the idea? When did your child(ren) get powerwheels?

2. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Never!! I want my children to pedal bikes and trikes and get tired outside not drive! Plus they take up a lot of storage space.

Cindy

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

My kids see them and say "Mom, we should get one of those!" But I am actually with Cindy on this. I want them to WORK for movement and not just have it happen. I feared that they wouldn't learn to pedal etc....but now, it's more of a space and $$ issue and I still want them to use their muscles.

That's not to say that the kids that have them don't ever ride bikes etc., because I know they do!!! It's my own little freakout thing! :D

4. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

My kids have them. We got them last summer, so they were 3.5. I got one used on Craigslist last year for $25, and the other free on Freecycle. We don't use them everyday, and they still use their tricycles and big kids bikes and play on the swingset, etc so they get plenty of exercise. We store them in the shed and yes, they definitely take up alot of room! We survived most of last summer fairly well with just one, since the 12 volt power wheels are 2 seaters mine were pretty good about taking turns or giving "rides" to each other. My kids love them, and it's just something different to do every few days when we're playing outside.

5. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

My boys have one and they have had since the summer before they turned 2. My parents found a link new one at a yard sale for pretty cheap. The drove it for the first time when they were 2.5. We live at the end of a court so we turned the wheel all the way and the car just drove in circles. By the end of the summer they were pretty good at it. We bring it out a couple times a week for them but they prefer to ride their bikes and play on their climber usually. Riding the powerwheels for them is like a treat!

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't have Powerwheels here either, however, our next door neighbors do and both my 3 year old can drive them by themselves, the 2 seater kind.

7. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My boys have one. We actually got it for them for Christmas shortly after they turned 2 :spy: I wouldn't have thought of it if they hadn't driven their cousin's Barbie Jeep at Thanksgiving and gone completely bonkers over it. At first, they just drove in a circle. We took them to a neighborhood under construction on a weekend and let them drive on streets where there would be no cars. They were doing great after one guided session. And no, the Powerwheels didn't take the place of running around/climbing/using trikes/etc. It comes out of the garage on occasion and they drive until they want to do something else; no different than any other toy. If you want to do it, get it!

8. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

My boys are getting the big 2 seater jeep hurricane for their 4th birthday this weekend. They have little motorcycles (like big wheels) and bikes to ride also, but this looks like fun and it's something I can do by myself outside -- without help. They are good at taking turns so we chose the one big one over 2 smaller ones. Can't imagine chasing them going in 2 different directions in those things if we had 2. We will continue to ride bikes and motorcycles for excercies too.

Mendy

9. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

My two oldest got them when they were 2 and 3. They werent the kind you sit inside though, they were the four wheeler kind that you sit on and have your legs on either side. My daughter had the red/orange Dora one.
    Anyway, my DD's didnt go as fast as my DS, so she ended up riding on the back of his more than she actually rode her own. I guess if you get the same ones that do the same things, they will do great.

10. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

My mom bought my kids some for her house last summer at a yard sale. They weren't very good with them last year - just a lot of stop and start. But, they are getting better with them this year. Since we don't have sidewalks, they can't ride bikes or scooters or their cars here. So, they only do it over my moms. They still ride their bikes more often than they play with the cars. But, they do have a blast with the cars.

11. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

We bought ours from our neighbor, so it was affordable (but does take up a lot of space) when the boys were young, only because my neighbor wanted it out of her garage They starting "driving" it at maybe 18 months. Now that they are 2.5, they are really driving it. My boys love it!! As other have said, it does not replace running, biking, or any other physical activity. They have been using it for about a year now and are getting good at it.

It actually gives me an opportunity to get a good walk in, since they only like to use it in the fast gear. One of them likes to drive and the other likes to be the passenger, so it works out well.

Something that I want to get them for their birthday is the plasma cars. They are easy enough to manipulate at a young age, and it looks like you can get many years out of those, so they are well worth the investment.

Happy Shopping!!