Positive Discipline for Preschoolers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Jul 2, 2011.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I am finding that TO dont always work for DD and so need some different strategies, and I was wondering if anyone has read this book and would recommend it? or better yet has used it?

2. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I just signed up for Positive Parenting Solutions my Amy McCready. Its an online course and you have life time access.What I love about it is several times a week you can call in and personally ask her questions. Doing time outs only invites a power struggle. Shes offering a 2weeks free trial right now. Might want to check it out!

3. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

I read it and I love it, I think it should be used on all kids...no matter how hard or easy they are to discipline, all kids are "wired" differently, you discipline and raise both of your twins (usually;) the exact same way, but their reactions and actions and emotions are totally different.

so the positive disciplining helps and guides, I love it.

I also use the science of parenting by margot sunderland.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Parenting-Margot-Sunderland/dp/0756618800

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I just ordered the Positive Discipline book. Not the preschoolers one. Mine are almost 5 and 7 and I was worried that it would be too young for them.

5. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

you will love it!

i think the whole positive discipline approach is the best! i haven't actually read the preschoolers one yet, but i've read 3-4 others, and do my best to follow them. here's a little synopsis of it that i wrote for my local twin momma's group:
    the approach is based on understanding that all of children's behavior comes from their desire to belong and feel significant. they just do some really "interesting" things to achieve this! once we can understand where they are coming from, it helps us in our approach to their behavior—which should always include a blending of kindness and firmness. what i like about positive discipline is it's non-punitive--punishing children for their behavior does not eliminate it (especially over time--even though it might work in the moment). an underlying theme of pos discipline is that you can't help children do better by making them feel worse. i have seen this to be VERY true w/my little ones--both of whom respond very negatively when i raise my voice or my "temperature rises." through what i've learned i'm working on keeping my own cool to help my guys stay calm (finding that changing my own behavior is often the key to helping them change theirs). and finally, i am constantly looking for ways to help my guys feel important. here's what i try to do as much as possible to achieve this:

--give them choices all day long (especially about things that don't really matter to me)

--give them lots of affection (no brainer--but sometimes we forgot to make time)

--give them lots of responsibility

--give them lots of encouragement

(the first letters of these spell out “care”—isn’t that cool?).

life has changed a lot around here since my guys became toddlers. but i'm sure that things are much better than they would have been if i hadn't happened upon this really groovy approach to making a difference in our families:).

best of luck!

~~jl