PLEASE recommend an art easel

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinzmom2b, Oct 11, 2007.

1. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I'm looking for one of those stand-up art easels for the girls for CHristmas. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a ton...maybe $50-$60 at the most. I want one that has paper on one side and chalk board on the other side. I would like a pretty sturdy one so they can both use it at once.

2. jeanliz

jeanliz Well-Known Member

Do you have a Costco near you? Just last night I saw a really nice one there for a little more than $50. I think they just got them there recently. It was made of nice wood and looked super sturdy. It was seriously the nicest easel I've ever seen.

3. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

I just saw one in my glorious IKEA catalog for 19 bucks! And it may not even be made in China so you have good odds on it being Lead Free :icon_biggrin:

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Appymomma @ Oct 11 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]445532[/snapback]
    I just saw one in my glorious IKEA catalog for 19 bucks! And it may not even be made in China so you have good odds on it being Lead Free :icon_biggrin:

I got mine at Ikea.. We spent less than 50 all together for the easle, paper, chalk, markers, buckets to hold the markers/crayons/chalk...
    Hailey Loves it!!!!

5. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

We have the Little Tykes Double Easel that costs $49.99 on their site. My kids love it. Aside from them climbing through the sides, it has been great.

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jeanliz @ Oct 11 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]445527[/snapback]
    Do you have a Costco near you? Just last night I saw a really nice one there for a little more than $50. I think they just got them there recently. It was made of nice wood and looked super sturdy. It was seriously the nicest easel I've ever seen.

You know, DH was just there the other day and said he saw one. I forgot about that until I read your post. I will have to go back and check it out..we've already gotten a few things for CHristmas there...but their stuff changes so often!

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We have the Step2 Easel for 2 and mine love it :) It's easy to wipe clean too!

8. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We have the Melissa & Doug easel, and while I love it now, I found it kind of a pain to put together. It has a white erase board on one side, a chalkboard on the other, and a roll of paper that you can use on either side.

9. ohiomom

ohiomom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinzmom2b @ Oct 11 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]445724[/snapback]
    You know, DH was just there the other day and said he saw one. I forgot about that until I read your post. I will have to go back and check it out..we've already gotten a few things for CHristmas there...but their stuff changes so often!

YES Check Costco!! I told Erik they had one there that I'm thinking about for the kids for Christmas!

10. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

During back-to-school season Toys R Us had a Crayola brand easel with magnetic whiteboard on one side, chalkboard on the other, and with clips on both sides for paper. It also came with a bunch of magnetic numbers and letters. It was $39.99 I think. Ayway, it has been a HUGE hit!

Here is the link on the TRU website: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2323094

I see people complaining in the comments that the bins fall off, but I think they must not have them snapped all the way in, because my girls tug on them all the time and can't pull them off. I have also not had any problems with the chalkboard that some people complain about; maybe it's the brand of chalk they're using? So far putting up paper and using crayons has been more of a hit than the whiteboard and chalkboard anyway.

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

12. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

We have the Little Tykes one as well. My parents bought it for my older son when he was 3 or 4, so I guess we've had it 6 years or so. I even came in the plyroom the other day to find the twins standing on either side of the tray looking out the window..... so I guess after 6 years, ans my wrecking crew.... it's pretty sturdy!!

13. Babytimes2

Babytimes2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ange2k25 @ Oct 12 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]447437[/snapback]
    We found this one at Sam's Club:
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....amp;item=370444

The clubs are closing them out at $23 each. We got the last one at my club but there were more in stock at another club in the area.

This is the one we saw at Sam's and we really liked it. We didn't get it that day, but I need to run back and check to see if they are closing them out here.

14. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BettiePage @ Oct 12 2007, 05:29 AM) [snapback]446931[/snapback]
    During back-to-school season Toys R Us had a Crayola brand easel with magnetic whiteboard on one side, chalkboard on the other, and with clips on both sides for paper. It also came with a bunch of magnetic numbers and letters. It was $39.99 I think. Ayway, it has been a HUGE hit!

Here is the link on the TRU website: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2323094

I see people complaining in the comments that the bins fall off, but I think they must not have them snapped all the way in, because my girls tug on them all the time and can't pull them off. I have also not had any problems with the chalkboard that some people complain about; maybe it's the brand of chalk they're using? So far putting up paper and using crayons has been more of a hit than the whiteboard and chalkboard anyway.

We have this one too. The girls got it for their b-day. When I first set it up (very easy to set up, btw!) the bins kept falling off and I was getting sooo irritated, but then my DP snapped them in all the way and they haven't come off since. I don't think the people that left reviews about the bins falling off are snapping them in all the way. I TOTALLY recommend this easel, very easy to clean, functional, easy to store, and best of all affordable!!