Picky eaters or just a phase?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by waitingfortwins, Mar 31, 2014.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Hi my twins are 14 months and lately they have been refusing previously liked food like cheese or broccoli. I've been playing with the presentation of their foods and it seems to have thrown them off. I used to shred the cheese now I give them cubes. I used it bake sweet potatoes and give it to them like a mash now I pre cut and roast and they won't eat it.

Should I always present foods the same way or always mix it up? I used to biol their veggies now I steam and I guess they don't like their veggies since steaming retains a lot of the flavour.

I've also noticed that they no longer enjoy meat. Before they would eat any type now not any or not much. Is this common in toddlers? My husband thinks I'm not giving them toddler friendly foods like chicken fingers and tater tots or Mac n cheese but I don't eat much processed foods so I don't buy it or make foods like that.

Typically I make pasta sauce with meat and macaroni, mild taco meat and Mexican rice, I roast a pot roast and roast root veggies, hamburger patties, fried tomatoes. I sneak veggies in the pasta sauce or rice but I'm finding it hard to introduce any new foods like zucchini, cucumber, red peppers, lettuce or green leaf veggies.
    Any tips on introducing new vegetables?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say keep doing what you're doing. Kids need to try things an insane number of times before they decide whether they like it or not, and I think it's best to just keep encouraging them to try things every time. If they don't eat for a meal, they'll eat at the next one.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Jen. Your toddlers sound par for the course. I think the worst thing you could do at this point is start serving them only what they'll eat - I made that mistake with my twins and it only further narrowed their palate which essentially turned a picky eater situation into a situation where my girls will only eat a handful of foods. Now we're working slowly but surely to expand their palate. I found the blog It's Not About Nutrition to be extremely helpful in how I think about food and what I actually want to teach my kids about food. For example, hiding veggies in sauce is fine but it won't teach your children to eat vegetables. For them to learn to eat vegetables, they need to be served vegetables. :) I've also just chosen to take a lot of deep breaths about the whole situation - every single person I know, including myself, was a picky eater as a child but has gone on to enjoy a wide variety of healthy foods as an adult. I think ultimately the solution is time and opportunity.

4. waitingfortwins

I agree with what you said miss bossy. I know as adults my children will hopefully be more adventurous in their eating. Up I do find it frustrating when I end up throwing away 75% of their food in the trash. I don't always give them foods or meals they like. Also they don't like the same foods. One loves eggs and the other despises them but if I'm serving eggs I'll always put them on his plate even though I know he won't touch them.

I think my biggest thing is finding meals that incorporate good food that they will like. I'm. to opposed to making chicken fingers or hash rowns it's just not going to be everyday or even every week.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's so hard when they do this!

I try to remember that 1 year olds do NOT eat as much as they used to as babies. As babies they need to double or triple their birth weight. As 1 year olds they only need to gain somewhere around 3 pounds in the whole year. So, biologically they have to slow down. 

What I've done with my picky now-2 year old (who totally wasn't a picky baby!) is to put something I know she generally likes on the plate and a few things that she may or may not eat as well. Yogurt is my failsafe and it often accompanies other foods that we're eating for a meal. She also really likes strong flavors and will eat fajiita chicken, Indian food, Greek food, etc. Saturday her favorite food at a potluck was a buffalo chicken dip I wouldn't try!

6. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

My 19 month olds go through phases. Just keep offering, they will eat!!

1 person likes this.
  7. waitingfortwins

Thanks everyone for your input! I will keep offering new foods and accompany them with well liked foods. I just have to be patient!