Personal question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by momof6, Jul 28, 2010.

1. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

We are 18 weeks tomorrow and up till now have enjoyed an active love making life. My Dr. has alluded to the fact that he will "take it away" :) but has not said when or anything. Is there a specific cut off date? or is it all situational? Sorry for being so personal!

2. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

i know for us... it was immediately upon finding out it was twins at 7 weeks since i was having bleeding issues from the start and because my daughter came at 36 weeks to the day... although i was more than happy to oblige because i really didn't have a sex drive at all and it really didn't appeal to me

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

it's usually situational - so if you have unexplained bleeding, or signs of PTL, those sorts of things, your doc will likely prescribe pelvic rest. some very conservative doctors will recommend pelvic rest for all twin pregnancies, start to finish. i know some couples who have had sex right up until babies were born (at, or close to, term). i would just ask your doc at your next appointment what he usually does so you're clear.

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I would ask, too. I had no restrictions and had sex the night before my c/s at 37.1 weeks. I figured it was going to be a long wait after that! :laughing:

5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I am 36wks and haven't ever been put on any type of restriction. I wish my doctor would put me on pelvic rest. lol

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had pelvic rest due to bleeding in the beginning, then again around 30 weeks due to a shortened cervix. Ask your doc at your next appointment just to be safe.

7. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

no restrictions here either (for any of my pregnancies)

8. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I was put on full pelvic rest for a few weeks in the middle of my pregnancy because I had placenta previa. It's funny, but Valentine's Day fell during that time and the nurse actually called to remind me. :FIFblush: Once that resolved, all restrictions were lifted for the rest of my pregnancy.

9. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

Don't have any restrictions so far, but I don't feel like it either.

I know of a friend who almost lost her sons at around 18 weeks after ML. Then she had PTL issues so the doctor told her to stop.

My OB says it's ok as long as there aren't complications, but do use a condom as the semen contains some kind of chemicals that may trigger labor.

10. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

I am almost 36 weeks...no restrictions on that at all!! YAY! My hubby is thankful. Although, I tend to put some restrictions on it-haha :)

11. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

no restrictions here. we had sex a couple of days before the girls were born at 37 weeks. did he give you any reason as to why he was going to limit your "activity'?

12. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

We had no restriction at all, but toward the end I was so huge I felt uncomfortable so I didn't feel like it anyway.

13. jenpoe

jenpoe Well-Known Member

No restrictions for me, and I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow. I have been having sex at least daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day, for the last couple weeks. lol

14. PinkDiamonds

I am curious, how do u ladies find a comfortable position with the huge bump? We've given up cause my belly keeps getting in the way (as much as his lol)

15. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my twin pregnancy the doctor told me to stop at 34 weeks b/c I was 1 cm dilated, and I think it was just a recommendation b/c it might be uncomfortable. I don't think I was ever told I had to stop, it just became uncomfortable after I got so big.

16. PrincessHippie

PrincessHippie Active Member

Sex has become pretty uncomfortable for me, shortness of breath and way less stamina. But without it, I miss that intimacy and closeness with DH.

Since you asked.....umm, totally TMI, from behind or DH stands at the edge of the bed and I stay laying down on my back. But even these positions are getting more and more uncomfortable.

17. PinkDiamonds

We've tried that and it's really uncomfortable, and DH has to be really gentle which he thinks is pointless lol. We try to make up for the lack of sex by just cuddling up in bed together and (mostly him) giving massages.

I'm more worried about whether the sex will trigger PTL or not.

18. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

About positions- I found that laying on my side, a leg up with DH on his knees was pretty easy to maintain & about as comfortable as I was going to get. Why am I :FIFblush: ing about this??? I have 2 kids... the jig is up!

19. jenpoe

jenpoe Well-Known Member

For a while I did the on my side with one leg up thing, but that's less comfortable now. At this point, I put a pillow under my belly to keep it from shaking or bouncing or whatever while we're at it, and go "doggy style" lol. Also do the on the edge of the bed with him standing, which works best for me if I have a couple pillows to prop up my upper half. And when I have the energy for it, I get on top. I just can't lean in to kiss him like I used to :p

It's a matter of trial and error, but I believe there are books that talk about this kind of thing too!