people touching the girls

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by birdsong00, Mar 27, 2010.

1. birdsong00

birdsong00 Well-Known Member

So we are finally getting out with the girls. They are 8 months old now 6 months adjusted we've been locked up all winter to avoid RSV, Flu, H1N1 and anything else going around. We have been walking around the neighborhood with no problems. We took them to Sams club in the middle of the week because we figured most people would be at work and the girls did great. Yesterday we decided to take them for a quick trip to the grocery store we went to Albersons because it is less busy.... I did not know we would cause such a commotion everyone wanted to stop and stare and of course ask lots of questions!! yes they are identical yes we stay very busy yes I am nursing?? wow!!

but we actually had to people stop and reach into the stroller to touch them OMG!! I broke out into a sweat I was shocked Thank God they did not touch their hands.... the girls always have their hands in their mouth but REALLY I was shocked it happened so quick I didn't know what to say we knew one person the other was a complete stranger I know I have to let them be kids but it has been such a rough road. I wanted to disinfect the girls as soon as we got in the car but poor sofia has sensitive skin so I didn't want to use a wipe... we just took them a bath as soon as we got home

do I just need to lighten up?? :pardon:

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I would say no... they are your kids and strangers touching mine freaked me out too! especially when they are so young. I take it, that it happened so quick that you didn't have time to react... sorry! I do think it gets better as they get older, I think people aren't quite so enthralled by twins... I hated all the questions!

good for you for getting out!

3. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I do not think you are over reacting either. I remember taking my boys to have their bilirubin done and actually moving the stroller because one lady who stopped to look at them looked like she might try to touch them. I have a 3 year old and I am still surprised at how much attention I can attract with my boys.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think you are over reacting. However, I didn't have the problem of people coming and trying to touch them. Why? Because I *NEVER* look at people as I am walking in the stores, malls, restaurants, etc. Now that they are older-well-they are walking, etc and they get their own attention! LOL! But back then-I looked straight ahead, or down, and kept walking!

But no one EVER tried to touch them. Ever. Maybe it's because I live in the Northeast! :laughing: I do think there are some signs you can get. I found this:Don't Touch. Maybe people will get the hint? Not sure if anyone here ever used one, but I think it's a good idea!

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

The NICU gave us some great little signs to hang on the carrier arm which says "Please wash your hands before touching mine." I feel sure those signs stopped LOTS of people from touching them, and we also got a lot of compliments on it too (people wishing they had such signs when their babies were younger). Synagis sent us a second set of those signs, which we didn't need so I gave to a twin mom friend. Did you not get any signs like that?

We were driving back from the in-laws a couple of months ago and Colin had a hissy fit in the car, so we pulled off the interstate to get him out and let him calm down. We just so happened to stop in Podunkville (not hard to do in southwest Virginia, LOL) and we went inside to this little mom and pops Exxon. Some ladies were enamored with the boys as soon as we walked in. I had to pee really bad (TMI I know) so handed DH the second baby to hold, and come to find out one of those back country women kissed one of our boys on his head while DH was holding them....WTH?? But I don't blame DH for not saying something. No need to make a ruckus. We really wanted to get out of Deliverance-ville in one piece, LOL. But yes, it really is amazing what strangers will do with your kids.

As for the attention, it really is something. Though my DH eats it up. When we go to the mall or on the walking trail anytime somebody asks or comments about the boys he just eats it up and beams like the proud daddy that he is :) All is good if they don't touch the babies!

6. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I am normally not a germ freak, but the h1n1 scare had hit when the boys were quite small. My dd has asthma so I had kept her home from school as well and the germ freak has finally evolved lol We were at the grocery store last night, the first time the boys can actually sit in the cart like big boys and not in their infant carriers. I have the cart cover too lol but an older lady let the boys hold her fingers. It took EVERYTHING in me not to freak out. She looked at me and said.. oh they won't let go, I kind of laughed and "freed her from their grip" I don't get why ppl want to touch them. I do get why ppl like twins, but that also bugs me when my girls are asking me why everyone loves their brothers :(

My tip to you would be to keep the shade of the carrier as far down as possible. I found less ppl "disturbed" them when they were like that! Good luck!

7. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

A while ago, I was at the mall with my twins and a woman came up to me and was asking me about them. She then proceeded to touch each of their hands, hold their hands, rub their hands,etc. and the whole time I was restraining myself from whipping out the hand sanitizer. With everything going on with the flu and H1N1 and all the different winter viruses, I just don't understand how someone would think it's ok to rub their germy hands all over a baby's hands!!!! Now, don't get me wrong I have 2 older school aged children so I'm sure my babies get exposed to germs from them and that is pretty much inevitable. I just find it more invasive when strangers feel the need to touch them!!!!!

Shannon

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

It's just downright rude to walk up to a stranger and touch them--adult OR child. We hope to be getting out soon and I will have zero tolerance for any strangers touching my kids and I wouldn't hesitate to say "they're preemies, we have to be careful." The only place I've taken them so far has been the doctor and many people have looked, smiled, and commented on how small they were, but no one has tried to touch. And when my mom takes them on walks, the neighbors all look and admire, but don't try to touch. I agree it could be a regional thing cause New Englanders just aren't all that touchy feely (Shannon's encounter excluded). :bubble:

9. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

My boys are also 8 months old and about 5.5 months adjusted. We received those "Please wash your hands before touching mine" signs from the NICU and used them up until about 2 months ago. We figured they were a lot safer. Even though we had the signs people still touched them! Probably not as many as if we didn't have the signs. I can't tell you how many times dirty little kids have touched my kids before I even had the chance to tell them no! I will actually pull out a wipe right then and there and wipe their hands down because I don't know where the heck anyone else's hands have been and my boys like to eat their hands! Most of the time I'm able to stop people, but sometimes they're just so quick. It's really annoying.

However, I was grocery shopping one day and this mom was like "my son wanted to ask you a question" (he was probably 3 or so) and I said ok and the little boy said "are those twins?" and I told him yes they were.. He was like "Aww they are so cute! Is it ok for me to touch them on their heads? I won't touch their hands, I know it's not good" And I was almost amazed. He was so sweet and well mannered. I told him he could and he super gently "petted" both of my boys heads (they proceeded to laugh and smile) and he said thank you afterwards. It was really cute.

On another note, I can't stand how many people stop us, stare at us, etc. Some days it's okay, other days it's like everyone wants to talk and stare.

10. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

When I had the twins they were 36 weeks and little. My one daughter needed to be on a high dose of steroids and therefore her immune system was low. I HATED when people touched them. Here are somethings I found that worked.

1. I bought the sign and hung it up.

2. Avoid eye contact and walk fast.

3. Especially avoid the 45 -50 age since often they are not yet grandmas and forget what it was like to have kids. If you make the slightest look in their direction they are onto you. RUN !!

4. I bought a double stroller cover which was blue with white mesh. Yes they will still attempt to "peek" in. It has block out panels too when they are sleeping -- YEs someone still tried to peek in aged 45ish.

5. Use the stroller, when people approach you turn it away from them. Put your body towards them instead.

6. If you Know the person and don't want to be rude. Get down infront and use your body to block them from getting too close. They get their head in there and all you need to do is put your head right next to theirs. Keep getting closer and closer and they will get the hint.

7. Yeah I would often just hold their hands and then wipe them -- when dealing with people I knew.

8. Eat garlic and onions ? Or dress up like a crazy person ? hehe

I had a singleton after that and only had ONE incident of excessive touching. This woman was ALL over my child. She LOVED kids.

When they get to a certain age, they lick everything, touch everything. And every exposure builds up their immune system. The increased incidences of allergies are attributed to access usuage of anti-bacterial and cleaners. Plus those cleaners MAY be doing more harm than good. You are only a few months away from them licking the floor. Yeah they get sick and it sucks but my kids get so much from daycare (or later on from school) and they get over it quicker now.

Heather

11. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

My second child qualified for Synagis shots for both his first and second RSV season and I was a FREAK about germs. We were under house arrest during the season, but when we ventured out his first April (he was 8 months old), I kept him covered with a mosquito net (he was still in his infant seat). They make sizes to cover the infant carrier and strollers, depending on how your girls travel. The physical barrier kept lots of hands out. We had the sign, too, which many people do notice. I purchased mine at Babies R Us - they always seem to be on one of those free-standing short racks in the middle of the stroller display.

12. birdsong00

Thank for the link I bought 2 this morning

13. birdsong00

haha I do think it makes a differance that we live in west Texas I am from the midwest and people are just not that eager to talk to strangers

14. birdsong00

Thank you all for the great tips and the reassurance that I was not over reacting!! After 3 months on bedrest and 64 days in the NICU I think I'm entitled to be a little over protective!!I think I'm going to have to be a little less friendly. I have to admit it just feels so good to be out and to have some adult interaction

15. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I agree about the lack of eye contact thing. I've noticed a huge difference when I am friendly (which is a lot since I am going nuts at home by myself!) and not. I also think a please don't touch sign is appropriate in your situation - I would be protective too. You can always give them a big appologetic smile and say, "I'm sorry but my girls have fragile immune systems so our doctor wants us to be really careful".