Painting belly or belly cast

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Haydie, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

So I was curious if I wanted to paint my belly like an easter egg what type paint do you use? I have seen women do this before. I think it would be cute as this is my last pregnancy and something fun and crafty for the boys.

2nd thing my husband really wants to do a cast of my belly. Where do you find those materials. I see or hear of people doing it all the time?

2. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

I saw the casting kits at a local baby store. It was more of a boutique type place that sells cloth diapers, organic clothes, that type of thin. Maybe check around at independent baby boutique places in your area. I also bet you could find one of the kits online.

3. I actually have done several belly casts. It is very easy to do. Stay away from the kits, they are horribly overpriced and won't give you enough materials to do a twin belly. Go to you local Michael's or other craft store. They will have plaster gauze. Get 3 of the 9 inch rolls (you may not need that much, but I used just over 2 on my last singleton belly, so you might need it). Then get plastic sheets to go over EVERYTHING, couch, floor...anything the plaster might come in contact with. Cut the plaster into strips about 18ish inches long and cut the strips in half so they are only 4 1/2 inches wide. Groom your nether regions (so the hairs don't get caught in the plaster..ouch!) and slather yourself in petroleum jelly. Have DH wet the strips and just start putting them all over your belly and breasts, switching directions for the layers to give it more stability (up and down for one layer, across for the next, and so on). You need to have 4-5 layers of plaster when you are done, try and smooth out the final layer as much as possible so you will have less sanding to do later. Then you have to sit there for at least 30 min, but longer if possible (yeah, right) to let it dry. Have DH take the cast and lay it on something to hold the shape, some say use a balloon, but I use a beach ball blown up to however much it needs to be. Then let it sit until it is totally dry, might take as long as a week. When you are ready to paint it, just use your imagination and/or scour the internet for ideas. Hope this helps!!

4. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member