Oversharing?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

DS used to be extremely shy, but it's been a complete turn since he got in Kindergarten. He's almost TOO friendly. Examples - he'll see a woman holding a Olaf plush and he'll start talking to her about how his sister has one, or he'll start talking about his Skylander collection to a random instructor at the gym. I'm a bit worried about what he must be telling his teacher about us!

I mean, he's very sweet and sensitive, and the only kid I know who says hello to all his friends' moms, but really, most people really couldn't care less about his Skylanders.

Is it normal? What do I do about it? I just can't help feeling a bit embarassed for him sometimes, even if he's totally oblivious to what's going on (but will get very upset even if even tell him to wait to talk because you're talking or something).

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Of course it's normal. They have to learn social cues, and they will. No, most people don't like skylanders, but most people do like gregarious, friendly kids. Nurture that and let his peers help him figure out conversational cues.

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

i hope its normal!!! one of my little men is just like this... not only does he say "hi" to his friends moms... he hugs them and will find something to complement them on.... i only get embarrassed because i think people must think he is attention starved at home... if he says "hi" and someone says "hi" back... well the flood gates open... the poor UPS guy now knows to give himself a few extra min to talk to my dude when he does his delivery... and is now use to his hugs  :blush: i have now caught myself even saying to my teenage sons friends as he tackles them at the door "Sorry, he's a hugger"  :pardon:

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Totally normal!  My kids are very outgoing which is so strange since DH and I are not... it took some getting used to that they will strike up a conversation with anyone, but now I really like it.  Meara will tell anyone who will listen about the mars rovers, or the rover that just landed on that comet, or anything else space related.  Ana is starting to become more reserved and aware about social cues, but will still strike up conversations with people.  So they will learn social cues and I find that most people are super friendly toward outgoing kids :)

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

LOL yes it's probably because I'm so shy that it's so odd to me. DD isn't that way at all.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my kids do this ALL the time. They overshare about everything and are overly friendly, to the point of turning off some other kids.  I'm trying to help them learn to tone it down a bit because they seem clueless about it on their own, but so far, I don't think they get that yet.

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

One of my kids is still like this at 9.  With my husband being in the military and gone a lot of the time, I have to really drill into his head that he can't tell people his dad isn't home.  

8. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

it is 100% normal! My kids love to tell anyone and everyone ANYthing they can think of. 
    When you're around if you feel like it's something he shouldn't share then let him know.  Otherwise, I think a lot of people understand that kids like to talk and share what pops into their heads

I sure hope they understand :p