outdoor toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bridgeport, May 7, 2008.

1. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

We did pretty well selling a bunch of stuff on consignment and we decided now that the boys are finally walking and ready to play outside, we're spending the money on outdoor toys. We're planning to get a regular swingset next summer, so for this summer we're just going with some smaller toys that they'll be able to use right away, even if they won't last them for more than a year or two.

We have not a single outdoor toy right now, and here is what I'm thinking of buying, along with my questions! I just can't seem to be able to make the final decision on these things.

Little Tikes Castle Climb and Slide - any reviews on this? I first planned on the Step 2 Kangaroo Climber, but then we played with one in the doctor's office, and the boys kept falling back off of the landing behind the slide. I want something that they can use with only one parent to supervise, so that one parent can't be constantly holding them up on the landing!

Step 2 Teeter Totter - this one they'll probably need assistance on right now so it'll be a two-parent toy, but I'm hoping this one will be useful for a few more years so it'll be worth it.

Little Tikes Cozy Coupes (actually we're thinking a police car and fire truck, but it's the same thing) - my big questions here are how early your kids got into these, and whether they work well on grass. Again, the one parent supervision thing makes me nervous using them on the driveway or sidewalk so close to the street, so I'd love to know if they're useful on grass too.

Step 2 water wheel table - I first thought sand/water, but I know they would eat the sand still. So we're planning a sand box for next summer, and just the water table for this summer.

I'd love your input on my ideas and other suggestions. Thank you!!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting these questions!!! We are at the same point as you... researching toys for outside. My sitter has one cozy coupe and the girls like to play with it. They don't quite get the concept yet, but they play with it in their own way. I'm trolling craigslist for a second. We are also going to get a little pool for them along with some climbing toys. I'll be interested to see what others recommend.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My DD's are almost a year older than your duo, and are having some trouble getting that Step 2 teeter totter going. I'd recommend the Little Tikes one that looks like an alligator, I think. There is one at school and they can work that one much better, and just one can sit on it and use it too.

My neighbor has the the Little Tikes Castle Climb and Slide for her one year old. She loves it and so does my duo.

I think a water table is great. I am thinking of getting one too. We have a sand table and they loved it last year and this year.

We have a playhouse/slide/swing combo - got it last summer.

4. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

We've had a Cozy Coupe for about 3 months. They work ok on grass but mine like to sit in it and push it too. I am about to buy a second since they fight over it.

We also have a free-standing Little Tikes Slide which they've been able to do for about 6 months now.

Then we have something similar to the Kangaroo climber. It's perfect for their age.

And also a water only table which they loved last year... have not put it out this year yet. I am not keen on sand (in our yard).

Whatever you get, they'll grow into it!

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

We have a Little Tikes slide and log cabin that they love. Right now they are really into the ride-on toys and bikes. We have a sand/water table that we just use for water that they like also. We are getting the teeter totter that you mentioned for their bday!

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Re: the Step 2 Kangaroo Climber (which is the only one we have of what you listed): We did have a problem with them falling off the landing at first (they started using it at 15 months). However, by 18 months they could handle it no problem. In the meantime, it wasn't that hard for one parent to supervise (as long as you're not trying to multitask), because there's only room for one of them on the landing anyway.

They don't really use all the "climbing" aspects of it, even now. Mostly they like to go through the door (and slam it behind them :rolleyes: ) and go down the slide, or sometimes up the slide. I think later this summer they might finally figure out that they can climb on TOP of the walls.

We opted not to get Cozy Coupes or anything similar, because there's no paved surface for them to ride on. They do have tricycles, which they also started using at 15 months, but if you're considering that, get ones with push bars! Even at 2.5, Sarah still wants to be pushed. Neither of them can pedal, but Amy is pretty happy doing it Flintstone-style.

I think they would love a playhouse, but they're too expensive for one of any decent size.

ETA: Re: the water wheel table, if you want to spend the money on something else, you can make a pretty fun water play area with stuff you probably already have. We have a big rectangular basin (like the kind you'd soak dirty laundry in) and an assortment of old sippy cups and plastic flowerpots. The flowerpots are especially fun because they have holes in the bottom. Last summer (ages 18-22 months or so), the girls loved to just crouch around the thing and pour water from one cup to another, or play with the hose.

7. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ May 7 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]761096[/snapback]
    the girls loved to just crouch around the thing and pour water from one cup to another, or play with the hose.

Like how ours love filling up cups in the bath and them dumping them outside of the tub on the bathroom floor! :)

Seriously, thanks much for the input!

8. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

last summer when ours where just crawling and starting to stand we got them a play house and it was such a HIT!!!
    they still love it and they are so easy to resell when you are finished with them
    that would be number one on my list.
    mine also love
    water table
    coupe
    easel with chalk board and chalk
    8 in 1
    play lawn mower

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

RE: The Kangaroo Climber- we got it as a 1st birthday and yes it was a while before they could get 'up' the ledge- but them they learned to grab the holes in the floor and haul up! They STILL use it so we have a lot more milage out of it (verus the swing/slide- which is too small now, a friend has it and they are way to big)

RE: water/sand table. We got on on craigslist. They love it last summer and we have yet to get it out this year. BUt that said, they loved a small 1 ring pool from Walmart with 2" of water just as much! Toss in some tupperware and plastic toys and they were happy for a long time!

RE: crazy Coupe- again we got one on Craigslist and we only have one. They just figured it out and do fight over it, but oh well.

RE: teetertotter- they LOVE it, we have the older alligator style and they have worked it just fine since about 18 months (when we got it- garage sale).

I would look for some sit/ride ons that you can take outside. We have a small plastic 4 wheeled trike thing that they have used for over 1 1/2 years...and it was an indoor toy, now outdoor.

A pop-up tent is also a big hit here- easy to fold up and put away when we are done.

They enjoy mini watering cans, a small sandbox, bubble lawn mower, and a large free standing little tikes slide we have. We have a small playhouse step 2 house that is a big hit...the shutters are SO much fun to open/close!

I would definately look into resale/garage/craigslist....all of our stuff is in good condition and we bought most of it used and saved a lot too!

KC

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Look on Freecycle and Craigslist! We got a playhouse off of Freecycle that would have been $150 at least new. Sure, it's a little beat up, but they don't care. We also got a Little Tikes climber/slide for $40 - also about $150 new. I did buy the sand and water table new, because I was in a real hurry to get it. I got the Step 2 Naturally Playful one. When the weather is warm, it's an all-water table. When the weather is cool, I put rice in it. I did sand and water once, and that was enough for me. It was just a huge mess.
    I never did get around to getting Cozy Coupes, I don't know why, I just didn't. They also love sidewalk chalk, play with this daily now, we also did "paint the sidewalk" with water, toy gardening things, buckets to collect stuff, you get the idea.

11. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

We have the Little Tikes Castle Swing/Slide set. The slide is still pretty popular but DS outgrew the swing very quickly. We bought it for him at 18 months and I think in retrospect I might have gotten the Kangaroo climber instead as it will last just a little longer.

We have a sand box which is very popular but we got that for his second birthday. Our other really popular outdoor toy is sidewalk chalk as others have mentioned.

12. HT

HT Well-Known Member

My twins are 13 months and have just started walking in the last month or so.

Playhouse - They absolutely love my older DD's playhouse - going in and out the door, peeking through the windows and playing with the little windchime my DH hung in the window.

Castle Slide and Swing - They received this for their b-day and like it, however they aren't very good at getting on it and I worry when they do get on the platform. It was perfect for in our house though for the last couple months of winter and we spent many hours swinging and sliding. They absolutely love to swing on my mom's swingset though, therefore my older DD is finally getting a swingset for her b-day next month.

Kangeroo Climber - My older DD got this for her 1st b-day and it scared us to death! She was an awesome climber, but almost stepped off the ledge too many times. My DH brought home some huge pieces of thick foam which we shoved under the ledge until she figured it out.

Cozy Coupe - We have one that my sister gave to us. Both twins love it, however they scream when their turn is over so I don't enjoy getting it out. Pushing 2 at the same time to go for a walk is impossible too. Instead we have one of the 2-seater plastic wagons that has seats with seatbelts. They love it and I love it - both can ride at the same time and I don't have to worry about them climbing out.

Sand/Water Table - my older DD received one for her 1st b-day. We started using it with just water and she really liked it. We added sand several months later when she stopped putting things in her mouth. However, it wasn't long before I caught her climbing into the table to sit in the water and she quickly outgrew the sand part because she wanted more room to build plus wanted to put her feet in the sand. My recommendation is a plastic sandbox and a small inflatable wading pool. My twins are already using my older DD's sandbox and I haven't caught them putting any in their mouths so far.

Riding toys - we have tons of small riding toys and the twins like sitting on those.

Picnic Table - I actually got ours out last week and gave the twins lunch at it for the 1st time. They really seemed to like it and sat there the whole time.

13. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

We have the Kangaroo Climber. They didn't really get it last year, but this year - TONS of fun - slamming the door, up and down the slide, etc. I like it and it sat outside all winter without any fading/damage!

Fisher Price swing that you hang from a tree. An all-time favorite.

FP Bubble Mower if the grass is short, you can push it, but if it's too long, it just won't go.

Cozy Coupe. It's best on a hard surface or short grass if it's pushed from the outside.

Sand/Water table. I think we got one from Little Tikes. I think it's flimsy. We put rice in it and DS just pushed the whole thing over. There was some water in it from a heavy rain and I can see that will need to be done when it's much warmer out and they aren't wearing clothes. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2987084

Play tunnels are great now. They collapse and you can bring them inside if needed. They do blow around if it's windy, though!

14. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

Kangaroo climber - huge hit here ever since they were 1 and our now 1 year old loves it as well. It really didn't take ours long to be more careful so they wouldn't fall off the landing but we had that problem as well for a bit. They still play with it now though as it's the only climber we have inside.

Teeter totter - we have the step2 one and they LOVE it now. Last summer they played with it off and on but for their age, I would almost hold off spending money on that one until next year when they'll get more use out of it. It was harder for me to supervise them on that one when they wanted to play as one was always falling off while I was grabbing the other :)

Cozy coupe - our boys loved those and our now 1 year old adores to crawl in and out of it. We have the firetruck one and it's a huge hit. Even our neighbor's 5 year old plays with it still.

Wagon - HUGE hit and was their favorite thing to do that first summer when they were just over 1. They just loved going to walks and it was nice for me to get out and about a bit.

Motorcycle Step2 ride on is a huge hit here but I know they were a little older when they started to get the hang of it.

We bought some clearance ride ons from Toys R us when they had their big clearance sales and just kept a few outside. Brought them in from the rain so the noises and lights stayed working but they loved to play on those and scoot around outside. I know they are typically inside toys but our boys dragged them outside so much we just left certain ones out there.

Other than that, we have a small plastic bat and some wiffle balls and plenty of different sizes of bouncy balls and they mostly would just kick those around for hours :)

Oh yeah - we kept our water table on the deck and they love it! Even now, all 3 of them fight over it daily and we keep the sand in the sandbox in the backyard. We just do water on both sides of the table (we have the step2 one.)

Good luck!!!
    Jen