Once they were cruising how long until they started taking steps?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sara26, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

One of my girls has just started to cruise in the last two weeks or so. Over the last two days she's really started moving fast, and she's started cruising going forward holding onto two different pieces of furniture, like the couch and the coffee table, so she's walking forward instead of shuffling to the side along one piece of furniture. She's also starting to stand for a few seconds on her own. I'm just curious how quickly other people's kids moved from cruising well to walking. My girls have done everything soooooo late that I'm going crazy waiting for at least one of them to start walking!

TIA :)

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine did this at totally different ages (Amy walked at 11.5 months and Sarah at 14), but in both cases, it was at least a month from cruising to walking. However, once they were freestanding, it was only a week, at most, before they were taking steps -- then another couple of weeks before they started walking across the room. Hopefully you're almost there! :)

3. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

It took a good solid month of cruising for us before they took more than a few steps. Jack has been about a week behind Paul the whole time. Paul has been walking fairly well for about 2 weeks- right about on his birthday! It is kinda crazy having them walk and try and climb on everything!!!!
    best of luck!!!
    Lanie

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Both of mine started cruising around 11.5 months and then walked at 13 months. My oldest DD was cruising at 7 months and walked at 9 months. They are getting there. :)

5. li li

li li Well-Known Member

my sister - who has 7 children - said that if a child of hers has done something later, they tend to go through the stages quicker. certainly for us this has been the case. maia was cruising at around 9 months, standing at 11 months and took her first steps on her first birthday. tal only started cruising at 11 months, but stood as well sometime during the month and also took her first steps on her first birthday. 5 weeks later there're both still learning to walk, but now only spend around 40% of the time crawling. your little one sounds like she's doing everything much more rapidly now she's started. enjoy!

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Lily cruised for about 3 months before she started regularly walking, and Grace has been cruising for about 1.5 months now, but no official walking yet.

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We started cruising in late January and didn't start walking until April! I do have cautious kids, though.

8. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Mine were very early to start and we went through a long sequence. They did this thing where they walked along walls with a hand touching (although not really grabbing onto anything) for weeks. Anyway, they started cruising at 7.25 months, cruising with steps between objects at 8, wall & single finger hold walking at 9, then FINALLY walking unassisted for more than a couple of steps at 10.75. That's a whopping 3.25 months of "almost walking". By their first birthday, they were starting to take it up a notch by walking backward (really shocked a lot of our guests).

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

It was different for both of them. I think Bea started cruising at 9 month and walked right at 11 months. Ainsley OTOH, has(had) a gross motor delay, and didn't cruise until 14 months (I think?) and walked just before 19 months.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Probably won't be long!! We were 16 and 17 mos or 17 and 18 (brain freeze!) mos.....

11. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

I will let you know if it ever happens, they have been cruising FOREVER! They are just very stubborn and won't walk. It has been like 4 months of cruising. My oldest cruised for like a week or 2 and was off running after that.

Cari

12. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

My girls started cruising at 9 months, and took steps at 10.5. They started really walking at 11.5 months.