Occasional thumb sucking

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SMax, Oct 1, 2009.

1. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

For the last week or so, DD has been sucking her thumb a few times a day. This is a completely new habit that we have never seen before. She does use a binky, but only for naps (unless DH gives it to her while he is changing her diaper or getting her into PJs before bed). We have a wonderful nanny who is less liberal with the pacifiers than we are...we often give them in the car and sometimes the stroller, but I am pretty sure she limits binkies to naptime.

The thumb sucking shows up when DD is kind of zoning...staring out the window, riding in the car, etc.

So....what would you do in this situation? Would you allow her to have the binky more often?? I am terrified of having a thumb-sucker as my childhood friend went through so much "torture" before she finally quit sucking her thumb. She was having major palate issues, so they bound her hands at night, painted her thumb with nasty tasting stuff, etc.

Also, there is potential molar teething going on...(and I say "potential" because I SWEAR they have been teething for the last THREE months with nothing to show for it!!!). Maybe this is just a passing phase while her mouth is hurting?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks :)

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls never took to soothers & have been big time thumb suckers since they were about 4 months old. :unknw: i don't really worry about it. they usually only do it when they're tired or zoning, like you mentioned, or if they're really upset about something & trying to calm down. i figure they'll outgrow it before it's a problem and if they don't, then we'll deal with it at that point.

3. anicakes

anicakes Well-Known Member

Lena will do the exact same thing! I'm not worried about it at all...I notice she does it enough to comfort herself and that's it. I was a thumb sucker as a child, and got off of it, so I'm sure she will too.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's possible that teething could be one of the culprits. My DS will chew on his finger hard core when he is teething and he will not take anything else to help him out. Once he is settled and the teeth don't bother him, he won't do it.
    It takes those molars a long time to come in, so you might not be far off with teething for a three months!

5. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

I second what Nancy says. DD was doing this last night and I do know she has teeth coming in. She and DS do this EVERYTIME they have teeth coming. GL...and I wouldn't worry at all!

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My DD became more of a thumb sucker once the pacifiers were completely gone (which was at 12 months).
    At her 18 month check-up (after noticing this increased thumb sucking) I asked the doctor if it would be better to give her back the pacifier or let her suck her thumb. She said for no reason should I give back the pacifier if Ive been able to get rid of them. Thumb sucking is a self-soothing thing that some kids do and almost all will outgrow between the ages of 2-4.
    I sure hope shes right!

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Most kids do stop sucking their thumbs on their own before age 5. My uncle who is a dentist actually told me he would rather have a kid suck their thumb than use a pacifier. Mostly because, if you have them actively engaged with their hands, they can't suck their thumbs, whereas they can suck on a pacifier 24/7 without interruption if you let them. Also, it is harder for them to try and speak with a thumb in their mouths whereas kid try to speak around a pacifier, and that can cause speech issues. I would say to leave her alone, the less of a big deal you make of it, the easier it will be for her to stop when it is time.