Not talking

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Idttwinboys22310, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

So my little guys just turned 2 yesterday. And they still aren't talking. They communicate with each other & get their point across to everyone around (family & friends of the family). Now realistically I'm not worried....I have an older child who is 7 who didn't really have much to say until he was 3 to 3 1/2. They have hit all the other milestones for their age group. They understand simple commands like "go get your shoes & coat" or "it's time to take a bath". They are very social make eye contact, show sympathy for one another, have awesome little personalities. They recognize shapes, colors & body parts. They stack blocks & play with trucks & of course have their favorite toys & bedtime "lovies" i call them. I've done some research about twin boys taking the longest to hit milestones at most things. Also that if there is an older sibling sometimes it takes longer for them to talk...So what I think I'm asking is for support. This must have happened to someone else out there right? Any stories..any insight would be helpful. Also note their 2 year old check up is coming up soon & I will be speaking with a doctor about this issue just in case. Thank in advance for any insight would be very much appreciated! Us twin mommas got to stick together!

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys had maybe 10 words between them at their second birthday. Like yours, they hit all their milestones and there are no concerns about autism or anything like that, but talking was frustrating! I took them to speech therapy a few times last summer and that had little effect. And then one day it just clicked.. they had a huge word explosion, then came sentences and their language is developing fast and furiously. It's amazing when I think about where we were just 6 months ago. They chat all day long now! So I would have them evaluated if you're worried and maybe you can get some useful suggestions from your ped or a speech therapist, but I would expect that language is just going to come to them when they're ready.

3. bethst

bethst Active Member

My Girls are like your boys.. hit all of the milestones except for the talking. My ID girls will be 2.5 in April and they are Just now starting to talk. They are also making up for lost time with the talking. I was really worried when they turned 2 and could still only blabble.. my 2 older singletons could hold a "normal" conversation at this age. Be patient and try not to worry (yes, I know that it is easier said then done) but it should come. My ped said you just have to be patient, that they will talk when they are good and ready, and when they are ready they will have lots to tell you:) I hope this helps, and you can always talk to their doc..

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Are they very physically adept? Sabrina wasn't at all (probably in part from her low vision), Sydney was! She worked very hard to keep up with her older siblings and mostly succeeded. She could do stairs earlier than any child I've ever seen, for instance. Sabrina talked and Sydney grunted. It drove me nuts. But our pedi said it's very common that kids tend toward one or the other at first, being verbal or physical. There are some who do both, of course, but it's more the norm to develop one type of skillset first.

And I agree that having older kids can make a difference. I had to get on Sage all the time with Trey. She was constantly speaking for him. It became a common mantra in our house, "When you become Trey, you can answer for him." He was like your oldest, and didn't speak very much til after 3 1/2, and even then had to work at explaining things or using details until after 4 (but then he's dyslexic and that seems to go together with that, from research I've done). And the older kids did that some with Sydney, too.

Have you tried using any signs? There are books and videos to learn signs to use with babies. I've heard that signing can actually help verbal abilities. We did it some with all of our kids. It was especially nice in that 2nd year when they really knew what they wanted, but maybe weren't able to communicate it very well... it lowered the temper tantrums quite a lot. We did it the most with Adam, because my DH was taking sign classes at the college during that time. With my older kids, it was mostly just me. But then DH really did a lot with Adam and when he was 18 months, he easily had 100 signs. He was also my most verbal kid, talked before he was a year old and in complete paragraphs by 2. But that may just be coincidental, and not causal.