Not quite getting sippy cups and bottles at 10 months....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by desolation_anonymous, Sep 12, 2009.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

OUr little ones get holding bottles, but they don't get that they have to be lying down or tilt the bottle up, so we have to position them. They are 10 months. When did yours catch on to this (having to tilt th ebottle/sippy cup up?)

They are trying to hold sippy cups, but same thing, they don't get that they have to tilt them up.

I'm looking for similar stories, stories, and ideas to help them 'get' it.

Thanks!

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ours get the tilting thing... not sure when that happened, but I think before 10 months... but they don't get the straw sippies yet... I wish they would... sometimes the straw ones seem nicer.... I wonder if you could start with those?

3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

:unknw: Same problem here! I gave up and put a podee in their bottle. I wish i knew how to teach them.

4. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

just keep giving them the chance. every baby learns in his or her own time. our guys didn't get tipping until about 11 months and the one day it just clicked. and they just figured out straw sippies last weekend. now they're better at straws than the other kind of cup.

just keep offering the sippy and help them hold it tipped up so they can get a drink. the concept will click at some point.

my boys still don't hold their own bottles but since we're approaching a year and starting to wean we don't want to teach that skill.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think mine were close to a year before they got the whole tilting thing. Just keep giving it to them & demonstrating every so often, they'll get it!

6. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

My two can't tilt their head back either, so we went straight to straws. Worked perfectly, once they got the hang of it! Now we're on bottles in the AM and right before bed, but straw cups the rest of the day.

7. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your stories and suggestions :D

So, those of you that use straw sippy cups, what ones do your family use/like?

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with keep having them hold the bottles and sippies, also demonstrating it to them. DH and I did this with ours and they did get it. I'm a huge fan of the straw cups and really like the Munchkin Straw Cups.