No more selling and buying used baby items

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Fran27, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I don't know about the US, but in Canada things that are safety items (ie. carseats, cribs) are approved by CSA (Canadian Standards Association) and (in the case of carseats) Transport Canada. Which means they are labeled as such, including the date of manufacture. So, if you buy a new item, make sure it has that label and don't take it off. If you buy a used item, look for that label, then go to the gov't website (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/child-enfant/index-eng.php) and confirm that the item still meets todays requirements (it tells you if stuff manufactured before a certain date is not ok).

With this new US law, the manufacture date on the label will tell you if the item has been tested or not. I also wonder if it will permit certification of manufactured goods so long as all the components have been tested (meaning you small business people just have to ensure you buy materials that have been tested, not do the testing yourself).

It's pretty much impossible to buy anything (new) made with lead in the US or Canada, it's when you directly import raw or manufactured items from overseas that you have to worry.

2. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

3. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Thanks for this post. I hadn't heard anything about this new 'law', until I read this. I am gonna go to my local baby consignment shop and see if they've heard of it. That seems really wierd, and it would definitely put a lot of people out of business.

4. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ok that's MUCH better. I just hope none of the stuff I have to buy has lead...

I wonder if we will see huge sales because of it now... retailers trying to sell their stock so they dont have to test it... could be interesting.