Night weaning

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Twinrific, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did you night wean or continue to feed on demand until your LO's weaned themselves? If you did night wean, what age? And why?

I'm only breastfeeding one (I'm a twin, not a mommy of twins ;) ) I never thought I'd breastfeed so long but it really is working out well for both Evan and I. We had some obstacles but we've handled them all and I'm proud I stuck it out throughout his NICU stay, plugged ducts, biting, a nursing strike and LOTS of critisizing and opposition (even from some friends and family.) BUT he is healthy and happy so I'm happy.

I've been feeding him on demand since birth and I co-sleep with him. Everything is going well as I've said. He does still wake up several times at night to nurse. Since we co-sleep it is not much of a hassle because I fall asleep quickly again. It would be nice to get uninterupted sleep again though but I'm not sure I want to mess with a good thing. Hence my question: did you nightwean? How did it go and how did you do it?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did night wean the girls quite early on (6-7 months) which involved a fair bit of CIO. If I had it to do over again, I would choose differently.

Emmett is still nursing at night. I've been considering night weaning him but like you am not terribly interested in messing with a good thing. ;) I also trust that he will do it eventually on his own. As I'm currently getting adequate rest I'm not terribly motivated to "force" him off the boob at night.

All that being said, Dr. Jay Gordon has some great tips for night weaning co-sleeping toddlers. You can check it out here: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

1 person likes this.
  3. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks Rachel. That is exactly where I am at. Whether the inconvenience of interrupted sleep is enough for me to actually try and wean him at night.

I'm saving the link however for if I end up deciding to night-wean. Thank you!

(Knowing me I'll still be going back and forth about this by the time he actually ends up self weaning :lol:)

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I tried to night wean my daughter twice and both times failed. She actually woke MORE often. She is almost one and she wakes at least 2 times to nurse and I am OK with that. With my other singleton son, I night weaned when he weaned himself... easy peasy.