new to forum, 21 weeks with mono di twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by carriebeth37, Mar 30, 2012.

1. carriebeth37

carriebeth37 Member

hello,
    after my millionth melt-down of this pregnancy, i decided to look for other people who have been pregnant with twins to get advice. i feel like i can't relate to any of my friends or family because their pregnancies were singletons. i have been waiting for a second trimester energy boost and expecting to feel great, and i just feel lousy and uncomfortable and worried all the time. i work from home and i can't even sit at my desk anymore without pain. seems like i only feel comfortable when i'm lying down or sitting in the recliner..just lots of pain in the top of my belly and in my back. so i guess this is normal for a twin pregnancy, right? this is not in my head?

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

First of all welcome to TS, we're glad you are here!! And congratulations on your twin pregnancy!!

My twin pregnancy was much more uncomfortable then my singleton, that's for sure! I think most of what you are saying sounds normal but it cant hurt to mention your pain to your OB just to be sure.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to TS. It is normal to have some pain in a twin pregnancy but I would mention it to your OB when you see him/her next.

4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome to TS - you've come to the right place!

I had a lot of pain and being uncomfortable from early on. I couldn't sit, lie down or stand, nothing was pain free! I bought a hip/belly strap, which helped a lot in taking the strain off, perhaps a physiotherapist might help with this? And of course as Tamara and Lesley have mentioned, mention to your ob at your next visit.

5. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

Hi carriebeth, this is my 3rd pregnancy (mono-di twins also) and so much more uncomfortable than my 2 previous singleton pregnancies. I agree, people just don't relate when they haven't experienced it. I really don't like all the 'just be positive' and 'I'm so jealous, I wish I had twins' when at times it feels more like an illness than a pregnancy!!! But I have found reading the info and experiences on here very reassuring for my worries and has helped me feel a bit less alone!!! I agree with everybody else check all your worrying pains, it may be normal but it's best to have someone keeping an eye on these things. Good luck with everything.

6. carriebeth37

carriebeth37 Member

Thanks everyone! I have mentioned to my dr that i've been in a lot of pain. They took blood to check my gall bladder and the test did not indicate there was anything wrong. I talked her into scheduling an ultrasound for my gall bladder as well but now i feel like i'm just being overzealous because i'm in denial about how miserable a twin pregnancy really is and that pain is normal.
    I can relate with efaith - i'm generally annoyed with a friend who keeps telling me how jealous she is of me for having twins and how exciting and wonderful it is. I know i will love these babies so much, but i'm sad that i'm not enjoying my pregnancy at all. I had hoped to find some joy in it but so far i'm just miserable. Actually, i had two really good days in the past few weeks - i wish i could get those back again.
    Thanks again for the support. I really needed it today.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I hated being pregnant, both with my singleton and with my twins. It just wasn't fun for me with being sick all the time, and then the anxiety of wondering about every little pain. I will say though, once the girls were here and I had them in my arms I was overjoyed, but the process of getting to that point was just overwhelming. I just never enjoyed the whole pregnancy bit...highly overrated IMO. Anyway, one thing that was a HUGE help to the pain I had (especially in my back and hips) was a maternity belt. I wore that thing religiously! And I really tried to give myself some "me" time to unwind and just relax. It will be over before you know it!!

Congratulations!!

8. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations! I had a MISERABLE twin pregnancy, so much harder than my singleton one, which wasn't really hard at all. I also had a lot of varying aches and pains, in the 2nd tri it was mainly my back and then in the third my hips got really bad and it was painful to walk. Plus lots of stretching pain on my sides. And the intense tiredness lasted the entire pregnancy, I think I had a 3 week break during my 4th month but that was it. For me it was just the type of thing where I had to count down to the end and just get through it. You can do it!! Good luck!