New here, subchorionic hemorrhage?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jillybn32, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jillybn32

Jillybn32 Member

Hello ladies,

This is my first post here so forgive me as I figure this forum out. I am 9 weeks 6 days pregnant with twins via IVF (d/t PCOS). I am part of a PCOS support board, but as my pregnancy progresses I find more and more of my questions and worries are directly twin related rather than general pregnancy questions so I am thinking this community will be a good fit for me :)

Anyways, I am writing because all was going well until last night when I had fresh bleeding. It stopped, and is now brown spotting but scared the heck out of me. I went to my RE and she found a small subchorionic hemorrhage on the placenta near the cervix. She said it is between 5-8% of my placenta and she isn't too worried right now, but put me on rest for a week to see if it progresses or not. Of course I am super worried. Babies are growing right on track, kicking and punching all over the place! But, has anyone had experience with this? All I seem to find online is that it will either go away, stay the same throughout pregnancy with a higher risk of PTL or PPROM or cause a miscarriage (more rare).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. numbers6and7

numbers6and7 Member

I have experience with it, but Im no success story. BUT it's rare not to be a success.

Sub chorionic hemorraghes CAN reabsorb. I don't think I took my SCH as serious as I should have, and I have never admitted that to anyone. I'm saying it to you so that you may take it serious. Do your bedrest and make sure it's STRICT bedrest. SCH's are very common in IVF pregnancies, and what you read is right...losses are rare...but i fell in that 2% category unfortunately. What I have learned is that accupuncture will help it reabsorb ( per my RE). I too am pregnant with IVF twins ( twins with SCH were also IVF), and I IMMEDIATELY started accupuncture this time as to avoid SCH development, and I didnt have it at all this time.

I will be praying for you and the babies! You can do this...and you will!!!!

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS!!! We are glad you are here! I do not have experience with subchorionic hemorrhage but I hope you keep us posted on how you are doing!!

Congrats on your twin pregnancy! :wub:

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My twins are from IVF and we had a SCH. I started to bleed at 9 weeks. My RE was not too concerned with it and as a matter of a fact did not even tell me that it was a SCH she just told me that bleeding is not uncommon with IVF pregnancies and left it at that. I started to see my regular OB at 10 weeks and they did the ultrasound that diagnosed the SCH then. My OB told me why I was bleeding and told me that it would either go away or get worse and that there was nothing I could do to help it or hurt it. She did tell me not to stand more than 2 hours at a time and not to lift more than 2 pounds but that I could go back to work and basically carry on as normal. I started to notice that the more I was up and about, the more I bled and the brighter it was and the more I rested, the older and browner the blood looked so at 16 weeks I put myself on bed rest, and viola it stopped. I wish I had done that earlier but in my case everything turned out just fine. I carried my girls to 38 weeks and would have gone longer but we had a scheduled c section.

5. Jillybn32

Jillybn32 Member

Thank you ladies for the responses! I really appreciate the info.

Numbers - I am so sorry for your prior loss. When was your sch diagnosed? How long did you have it before the loss? Did it get bigger or stay the same before your loss? Was it a big sch or a small one? (sorry for all the questions!)

Lesley Anne - Thanks for the welcome! I am happy to be here and partake in the discussions :) It is so nice to have a website dedicated to twins.

Heather - Did your sch ever go away or did you have it until you delivered? Was yours large or small? I also noticed the more I was up the more I bled. I am on bedrest now, but still having brown spotting. I'm hoping it goes away over this week, my RE said if it doesn't I may be on rest longer than a week. 38 weeks is so impressive!

6. Jillybn32

Jillybn32 Member

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I had a SCH with my twin pregnancy (also IVF) but my RE was never overly concerned about it. They found it before I had any bleeding and warned me about it. Then one morning I had a gush and went straight the clinic. I took it easy for a day or two after that, but the doctors never seemed too worried. I think it was pretty small too. (But I don't remember the placement.) I did spot off and on for about a month, but never had another gush.

8. numbers6and7

numbers6and7 Member

When was your sch diagnosed? Mine was diagnosed at 7 weeks, when I started bleeding

How long did you have it before the loss? I had it 7 weeks til my loss...it never went away for me. Once again though, I didn't think it was as serious as it was, so I wasn't as vigilant with my bedrest as i should have been. Im not really blaming myself (anymore that is..), but in hindsight, I can see where I could have done more, kwim? Doc said modified bedrest...i should have done strict I believe.

Did it get bigger or stay the same before your loss? It pretty much stayed the same for me.

Was it a big sch or a small one? Mine was not small or big...I guess it was medium I would say. It wasn't big enough to make the doc put me on strict and total bedrest, but it wasn't small enough fo rthem not to be concerned either.

I want to remind you, for every horror story like mine, there are thousands and thousands of success stories! You WILL be one of them!!!!

9. Jillybn32

Jillybn32 Member

Thanks numbers. I do realize it is rare to lose a pregnancy, and honestly, hearing you WILL do it does make me feel better. Thanks for sharing more details with me about your experience.

Gina - Thanks also for sharing your story. I'm glad you had a good outcome, and I hope for the same!

10. FormerNoCalGirl

FormerNoCalGirl Well-Known Member

I also had a subchornic hemmorage with my pregnancy. I was about 6 weeks when I was standing in the kitchen and just started gushing blood. I bawled all night and thought for sure I had lost the babies. I went in the next day to see that they were still there and they were - it was truly a miracle in my eyes. I took a few days off work and just laid down on the couch. I continued to spot brown for at least the following 3 weeks, maybe even a little bit more. I didn't have sex during that time - Dr's orders - and didn't do any heavy lifting, etc. Once the spotting stopped I resumed my normal activity. I'll be 21 weeks on Friday and so far everything is looking totally normal. So please be assured that you can go on to have a normal pregnancy after a SCH. I would just recommend taking it is as easy as you can for a little while - if for nothing more than for mental peace of mind.

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Mine was small. And once I stopped bleeding, the OB never mentioned it again so I guess it went away? I am glad you are on bed rest ( I hate to be glad you are on bed rest but it is the only thing that helped me!) I hope it goes away with the week of bed rest!! but even after this week I would not lift anything nor would I stand/ walk for very long. Use one of those motorized wheelchairs if you go to Target etc..... Yeah, no one expected us to go to 38 weeks but these little boogers are still very attached to me LOL!! I swear had they not taken them ( scheduled c section) , I would still be pregnant with them 4 YEARS later LOL!!!! The week before they were born my cervix was dialted to a 1 and the day they were born not at all! I had gone backwards!! And after all of the contractions I had been having I just KNEW I was like a 7 or something!!!

12. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I also had a SCH at about 6 weeks 3 days. Just 3 days after we found out we were having twins I began to bleed. Went straight to the Dr where they did an U/S and found 2 babies with 2 perfect heartbeats! My OB never put me on any kind of rest for this, in fact the only thing he said was that I may notice it start to go away then get "red" again then go away. That is exactly what happened and we went on to have an uncomplicated pregnancy with 2 healthy deliveries! Good luck! Congrats!

13. Jillybn32

Jillybn32 Member

Thanks FormerNoCalGirl and momof6 for also sharing your stories! I'm glad to hear your twins are safely here/are safely still cooking!

I am just hanging out on bedrest, day 5. Most of my spotting is gone but I still get a tiny tiny bit of brown, mostly in the am. I noticed I'm also having an off and on right sided pain near my bikini line, and I'm wondering if that is round ligament pain? I know 10 1/2 weeks is a little early to feel it, but with twins, it seems like you feel and progress faster than singletons. Of course I also worried it has something to do with the sch but my doctor said it was probably fine as long as no bleeding with it. I go in for an u/s Monday to re-evaluate it so hoping for good news. Will keep you posted!