Need opinions please......

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jrg9171, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

My twins will be 1 year in November. My plan was to put them in Mothers Day Out for two days a week after the Christmas break. However I'm being told that there may not be a spot for them if I don't enroll them for the beginning of the school year. They will be 10 months old & I'm kind of balking at this. I don't work but my 2 teens are involved with school activities so I have during school hours to get anything done and with the babies, it's virtually impossible. I feel so selfish for even considering putting them in a program at all when I have the privilege of being able to be home with them. I don't know what to do and DH is no help about it. If anything gets done around the house its me who does it and I haven't even been able to spring cleaning like I seriously need to. I have rooms to clean out so the twins can have a play room, a garage to clean out so I can park in there and not have to get them out in bad weather, just so much to do. I guess I just need to hear that I'm making the right decision, or not. I have cried and cried over the guilt of it and feel like I am doing the babies a horrible injustice, even when my friends all tell me that they will love it. Not sure if it's the prospect of separation anxiety or what........... Sorry to vent and thank you for listening.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: If it were me, I would do it. In the scheme of things, it's only a 3 month difference. We don't have MDO here, or anything similar for that matter. I think my kids need something like that! I would have thought about sending them for sure. It's really hard to get anything done with two little ones to chase after! I feel your pain, as do many of us! You will enjoy the break, as will they! They will have a great time building new friendships and bonds with others. Plus, it will get them used to settings where mommy/daddy aren't around.

I say do it! You were going to in January, so why not in September? Mommy guilt will get you every time. Do it. They will love it! And you will be able to accomplish what you need to without infants underfoot!

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I would do it, too. Don't feel guilty at all! I have help 3 days a week (a friend of my SIL), even when I'm not taking classes, like this summer. It makes me a happier Mommy to be able to do my errands and other things I need to do, and that is good for everyone.

4. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

How about getting a babysitter a day or so a week, which will allow you to get some things done, without the long term commitment of MDO ? Just a suggestion if its making you feel bad.
    I totally understand how you feel, I just cant get anything done with my 17 month olds. Yesterday I spend two hours cleaning floors and within 30 mins of the girls waking from their naps it was back to looking a mess...but at least its clean for awhile :)

5. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I worked for several years in the baby room at a mothers day out program. right up until I had the twins infact. You have ZERO reason to feel bad. its 6 hours a week! would you balk at going to dinner and a movie with dh once a week and getting a sitter? Same thing. It helps them learn to deal with other people, they get a break from their every day life and you get a chance to do things you need to get done. I had every intention of going back with my twins after they were born and the only reason I didn't was the fact that mine were born at 34 weeks with very weak lungs so I didn't want to risk RSV. we did go september and they ahd a good time.

6. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your input. I have prayed about it and slept on it and I do feel better about the decision today. My mother told me that it would definitely be harder on me than them. I was a SAHM for 16 years, 7 of them with no kids until the twins came and you don't realize how much that little bit of "me" time is needed to just keep the sanity. I have a plan, projects and goals, I've started extreme couponing as well, so I'm trying to look at the time without the twins as my job and to try to be as productive as I can. That way I can dedicate 100% of the time while they are here to them and not feel like I'm having to pass them off to DH or one of the teenagers to try to get something done then.