My fFn test came back positive today. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by pretty girl, Apr 20, 2015.

1. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

My fFn test came back positive today. I'm not sure how I feel about this..

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What did your doctor say?

3. pretty girl

That it came back positive. And to keep my weekly appt. That was pretty much it. This Dr that did it was a tool

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Keep us posted!! :)

5. pretty girl

I will. I'm having contractions but not anything consistent or that's doing anything

6. lharrison1

How many weeks are you? 

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It sounds like it's time to take it easy. Your body is preparing for birth and that's not ideal right now.

8. pretty girl

30+5. I'm already on modified bed rest. I don't really have the luxury of doing nothing but sitting. I'm not out running marathons or climbing Everest or anything crazy

9. lharrison1

I went on complete home bed rest (except to use the bathroom and shower) at 31 weeks.  It was a long 4 weeks...lol

10. pretty girl

gag me with a spoon that sounds awful.

11. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

So, you are already on modified bed rest, have a positive FFN result, and have been having lots of contractions (regular or not)?  Girl, STAY OFF YOUR FEET!  I know you have a little one at home and lots of other responsibilities, but you really do need to find a way to rest as much as you can.  Have your SO prepare or buy meals for you, rent some movies to watch with your LO, bag snacks while you are laying on the couch... Bed rest is tough and having someone do everything for you is tough, but at least try to do it for the next week until you see your doctor again!  I agree with Michelle... sounds like your body is getting ready and you don't want that quite yet!

Here is my story.  I had a positive FFN test result at 30+6 weeks, left work and went home on bed rest, had lots of irregular, painless contractions until *poof* they weren't painless anymore, went into labor at 31+4 weeks, admitted for hospital bed rest on a magnesium drip (awful), and delivered anyway at 31+6 weeks.  That was followed by 21 days of the emotional roller coaster ride that is the NICU, plus all the complications and concerns associated with a premature birth for the babies' first year and on!

So, putting yourself on a more strict bed rest may sound awful, but avoiding a preterm birth is well worth it!  Take it easy and I will be thinking of you!!  Please keep us posted!

2 people like this.
  12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

^^^^  I couldn't agree more with this post!  You know what is worse than bedrest?! Leaving your babies in the NICU after you get discharged from the hospital.  I was on modified bedrest from 24-30 weeks, then hospitalized because they couldn't stop my labor (spent the night in L&D on a stretcher in case the babies were coming at any minute, on mag sulfate).  Got discharged and then was on strict bedrest like Lesley (I was allowed to go to the bathroom and take one 10 minute shower a day) until my girls were born at 34 weeks.  It was hard and uncomfortable and I hated relying on everyone to help me, but my girls were born small and early but with mature lungs and only had to stay in the hospital 2 weeks. Hang in there!!!

2 people like this.
  13. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I went on bedrest at home due to PTL at 20 weeks and made it to full term babies. Those 17 weeks were hard even though I did not have a little one at home (but my mom underwent several surgeries at the time and my parents could really have used my help but we all agreed that the babies were my first priority), and it was so worth it: Both babies went home with me, DD was small and weak for a full-term baby and at a little under 2.5kg would not have been allowed home as a premature baby.

DH left me a tray by the bedside with snacks and drinks every morning, I worked lying on my left side and crotched baby blankets like mad to feel marginally productive. Basically I got up to use the bathroom, take a shower and for my doctor's appointments.

You can do it!

14. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did bed rest from 28 weeks to 37 weeks. I had cervical shortening that stopped due to bed rest. & you are totally right. It was soul draining and a bit depressing. I also worked on my left side on a computer. My babies were born 37w5d, had no NICU time and I brought both home with me.

From what I understand at this stage every day you keep them in equals 3 days they'd spend in the NICU.

Please talk with your doctor about the steroid shots. If you do end up delivering early they can make a huge difference.

15. pretty girl

I have an appt on Monday so I will ask about it then. They didn't seem worried because my cervix isn't (or wasn't) doing anything

16. lharrison1

I agree with the steroid shot-mine were 4 weeks early but thankfully no NICU time-I think bed rest and that shot helped!! 
    Please talk to your doctor-they may not seem worried but they also may assume you are resting more than you actually are. 
    If you are this early and go into labor they may put you on hospital bed rest-and personally that was HELL for the 3 days I had to do it-I begged and cried to go home and had to promise I wouldnt get out of bed.  *hugs*

17. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Try and get as much rest as you can.  

18. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I had a negative ftn test and the boys were born within the week. If I remember correctly a negative is more predictive. Only 1% of those with a negative result go into labor and deliver within one or two weeks of the test. Positive results are actually less predictive. You can have a positive and go on to deliver at full term. A positive results puts you at higher risk but it is not as useful as a negative result. Rest as much as possible and talk to your doctor. Drink plenty of water. Watch for signs of preterm labor and get to the hospital as soon as you can if you even think you might be starting labor. Are you getting stress tests?

I had a week stay at 28 weeks including steroid shots and magnesium drip. I had already been on bedrest previously and went home on strict bed rest with meds for contractions. Made it to almost 33 weeks. The boys spent 3 weeks in the NICU. One had to have two rounds of surfactant and CPAP. Both came home on heart monitors. You would never know it now at age 6.

19. pretty girl

At this point no stress tests. But I'm seeing a new dr today so we'll see what they say

20. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that while bed rest is difficult (and I did not have another child at home like you do) so is having babies in the NICU and another child at home.

21. pretty girl

so stress tests start in less than two weeks. No shots for the lungs as of right now but the new dr wanted to call the peri team. I'm for sure switching to this new dr. My old one was starting to irritate me

22. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Thinking of you!  Hope all is well!

23. pretty girl

still pregnant. Having contractions about every 12-15 mins for the last 2 days. I have a drs appt on tuesday to be checked to see if anything is happening

24. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update!  Hope today goes well!  :)

25. pretty girl

Just an nst today. Dr didn't want to see me cause I was seen on Friday for other things

26. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How did it go?  How are you feeling? :hug:

27. pretty girl

It went well. I just had an NST because I saw the dr on 5/1. The NST didn't pick up ANY contractions but as soon as she unhooked me I know I was having them.

I just feel pregnant. Not bad over all.

1 person likes this.