my baby has a diaper rash

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by foppa2102, Aug 5, 2008.

1. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

i switched elena to alimentum last week for her silent reflux issues and it's helping tremendously with that, she's eating a lot more and goes through most meals without screaming. however, it's making her have a ton of stools, and i called the pedi and the nurse said that's totally normal with alimentum. but all of these stools and all of the wiping has led to a diaper rash. the nurse said to wash out the wipes and clean her bottom with the washed out wipes and antibacterial soap, and to use the sensi-care cream that we got from the nicu, and of course to change her diaper more frequently. are there any other tried and true diaper rash cures that you all know of? how long does it generally take one to clear up? once they've got one, is it a really hard battle to get it cleared up and prevent another one? it's weird because i made a post last week about how often you all use diaper cream, cuz i hadn't really had to use it yet, but now i'm definitely going through it and i guess i'll be using it all the time now to help prevent this in the future. thoughts?
    amy

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

We have been battling diaper rashes over here too. I found that triple paste has worked best for us out of all the OTC creams. We also do a lot of "Nakey" time and let them air out. HTH!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls would get extreme diaper rash and I have to agree with Kyrstyn that letting their little bums air out worked great for us. Buttpaste seemed to work best for my girlies.

4. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Aquaphor worked GREAT for my girls bums....:)

5. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

My Dr wanted my boys to be on that but I tasted it and it was so gross and it is super expensive. Did she have a problem taking it and did you find somewhere it's cheaper??

As for diaper rash I've always loved Burt's Bees diaper cream

6. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

7. amyjoy3

amyjoy3 Well-Known Member

We used A&D and lots of time without a diaper on. Air is really the only thing that's going to help. I put them on a blanket with a diper or towel undeneath for about 10 minutes a day 2 or 3 times a day.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

When its nasty I use the A and D with a Vaseline coating.

9. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Sounds strange but this worked for us:

Swipe her bottom first with Mylanta (generic will work), then follow with Aquaphor. My niece's ped told her about this and it worked for her son and both of mine.

Good Luck!

10. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

I use A and D ointment. I also use a different type of wipe. My babies are breastfed, and so they had a lot of stools when they first came home and the wipes were too harsh. Their bottoms looked burnt from the wipes. Now I buy either Lansinoh or the Target brand cleansing cloths (compared to Lansinoh). They are in a purple package. They have lanolin in them and within a few changes, my babies bottoms were much better! It's the only thing I will use on them now. The best pricing that I have found is at Target, and their brand really is as good as the name brand, cheaper, and you get more for less money!

11. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

My DS had the worse diaper rash months ago and these are few tricks I learned here on TS and through our dr's.

I make my own wipes with baby oil and aveeno oatmeal wash
    We only use wipes on poopy diapers
    We make sure they are completely dry before re-diapering (even using the new diaper as a fan to speed up the process)
    We use A&D or just plain vaseline
    We also used cornstarch for powder for relief and keeping them dry
    Vaseline after each diaper change will help with wiping on the next diaper change
    Like pp said leaving the diaper off for as long as possible for air to get in is the best

PS my DD has silent reflux and is also on alimentum and there is only one size and it is pretty much one price (give or take a few bucks) everywhere. If you have any questions or venting about reflux PM me!

12. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

My doctor wrote a rx for a formulation he has compounded at the pharmacy. Its called butt creme. I'll be glad to send you his information and you could contact him if you would like. We tried everthing and this was the only thing that worked. It was gone after using the creme about 4 days. send me a message if you want his info. you may be able to buy it directly from the pharmacy?? not sure. they compound it there.

13. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tamaras @ Aug 6 2008, 01:20 AM) [snapback]916240[/snapback]
    Aquaphor worked GREAT for my girls bums.... :)

I agree!! I also use Arbonne diaper rash cream.. he had a really bad rash, and it cleared in a day.

14. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Lots of air time. My sitter actually suggested putting them in dresses and taking them outside. This way they can go sans-diaper and be covered, but if they pee-pee its ok because its outside.

15. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

A & D w/vas. coating and time to air out. I have heard from several people lately that California baby products work really well and quickly for really bad diaper rashes. My mom ordered it for me the last time Lucas had one but we haven't had to try it yet. She got it online but I think Buy Buy Baby sells it too.

16. Joanna Smolko

Joanna Smolko Well-Known Member

My pediatrician suggested using a little antifungal creme (lotrimin) mixed in with desitin, for yeast-based [long lasting, blistery] diaper rash. The desitin by itself or even the Bordeaux's butt creme just didn't cut it.

I was wary at first, but it really does work.

Plus lots of naked time. My DD seems especially prone to the diaper rash, so we'll set her on a folded towel to sit and play for a couple hours, and then just throw the towel right in the wash.

My pediatrician suggested using a little antifungal creme (lotrimin) mixed in with desitin, for yeast-based [long lasting, blistery] diaper rash. The desitin by itself or even the Bordeaux's butt creme just didn't cut it.

I was wary at first, but it really does work.

Plus lots of naked time. My DD seems especially prone to the diaper rash, so we'll set her on a folded towel to sit and play for a couple hours, and then just throw the towel right in the wash.