Money saving tips for diapers and formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by happyfor2, Jan 16, 2008.

1. happyfor2

happyfor2 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious what everyone else does to help save on the cost of diapers and formulas. I try to clip coupons and search my area for the cheapest prices but just wondering if there is something I'm missing. We use Similac formula and I rarely get a coupon for this. Any ideas here can I find Similac coupons?

Thanks!

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

The best way to save money on diapers is to go with cloth. You can spend a few hundred bucks on dipes and you're all set for good!

3. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

We use Similac as well. I purchased a Sam's Club membership and it was the best $40 I ever spent. They sell the 36 ounce cans for 27.99 where i live, vs. 26.99 for the 25 ounces cans anywhere else. Also, did you sign up for Similac Welcome Additions, they send out coupons and if you call and say you joined but haven't gotten a coupon in awhile they will send you some.

For diapers we started buying from diapers.com They are reasonably priced and if you spend more than $50 it's free shipping. Alhtough we haven't had to buy many diapers b/c we received over 1,000 at our baby shower and my sister gave us a huge gift card for Christmas, I don't know what we'll do when we run out!!

4. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

I know someone that works for a university around here and they can get diapers and wipes at close to cost. For huggies- instead of 22 cents a diaper (newborn size) we can get them for 11 cents a diaper!

Coupons and sales are the only thing I can think of for savings.

We don't use formula so I'm no help there.

5. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

We're EBF so I can't help with the formula, but for diapers I use diapers.com. We compared them to the Sams Club prices and they were pretty much the same. You also get 10% off your first order, free shipping, and a 5% credit for every order. We buy two large cases & the huge box of wipes on the 1st of every month and spend about $90, AND it is delivered right to my door. It would probably be even cheaper if we didn't get the Pampers brand.

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Formula tips: Ask you pediatrician for free formula. When my kids were born, I received two cases of Enfamil from my ped through their rep. Also ask you ped for coupons to help offset the cost. I did this too and received about 15 rebate checks in the mail a few days later, courtesy of my ped. Call Similac and tell them you have twins and ask if they can send you some additional coupons. Sign up (if you haven't already) with their mommy club (not sure what their is called) to get the rebate checks and sign friends and family up too. I tried this and never had much luck but it is worth a shot. You could also sign up with Enfamil and Good Start and when you get rebate checks from them try and trade them for Similac. My kids were on Good Start formula and I always seem to get Enfamil coupons from local stores in my area. I posted my Enfamil coupons on Craigslist and asked to trade for Good Start coupons and always had good luck with that.

Diaper tips: A few months ago in one of my Parenting magazine I found a little article about a web-site called babycheakskate.blogspot.com. I love this web-site and have saved so much money by using her tips. It is a daily blog by a lady from Atlanta. Once a week she post diaper and formula deals and every day she has some money saving tip/sale that she writes about. I would recommend it. Again clip coupons and buy when they are on sale. She recommends never paying more than the following per diaper: Size N: 15-16 cents/diaper. Size 1: 13-15 cents/diaper. Size 2: 16 cents/diaper. Size 3: 20 cents/diaper. Size 4: 23 cents/diaper. Size 5: 25 cents/diaper. Size 6: 30 cents/diaper. I only buy diapers when I can get them for these prices or less and have saved a lot of money that way and I don't have to run around all the time. I just stocked up a Target yesterday (Pampers and Huggies are on sale this week for $8/jumbo) and won't have to buy diapers for 2 or 3 months. Ask you friends and family to keep their eyes out for diaper coupons too. I have about 10 people clipping coupons for me.

My husband laughs at me, but I have become addicted at trying to find ways to save money on baby stuff and I was never like that before the kids were born. I figure 50 cents here and a dollar there add up when you are talking about buying for two babies. It has become a lhobby for me and I get so excited when i get a good deal. Good Luck.

7. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

webpage addy that u linked didn't work - do u have another one?

Diaper tips: A few months ago in one of my Parenting magazine I found a little article about a web-site called babycheakskate.blogspot.com. I love this web-site and have saved so much money by using her tips. It is a daily blog by a lady from Atlanta. Once a week she post diaper and formula deals and every day she has some money saving tip/sale that she writes about. I would recommend it. Again clip coupons and buy when they are on sale. She recommends never paying more than the following per diaper: Size N: 15-16 cents/diaper. Size 1: 13-15 cents/diaper. Size 2: 16 cents/diaper. Size 3: 20 cents/diaper. Size 4: 23 cents/diaper. Size 5: 25 cents/diaper. Size 6: 30 cents/diaper. I only buy diapers when I can get them for these prices or less and have saved a lot of money that way and I don't have to run around all the time. I just stocked up a Target yesterday (Pampers and Huggies are on sale this week for $8/jumbo) and won't have to buy diapers for 2 or 3 months. Ask you friends and family to keep their eyes out for diaper coupons too. I have about 10 people clipping coupons for me.

My husband laughs at me, but I have become addicted at trying to find ways to save money on baby stuff and I was never like that before the kids were born. I figure 50 cents here and a dollar there add up when you are talking about buying for two babies. It has become a lhobby for me and I get so excited when i get a good deal. Good Luck.
    [/quote]

8. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bigeyes @ Jan 16 2008, 12:19 PM) [snapback]575011[/snapback]
    webpage addy that u linked didn't work - do u have another one?

I think it's supposed to be www.babycheapskate.blogspot.com

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Costco, Costco, and Costco.

I buy my diapers, wipes there now, and bought their brand formula once my girls were off the Neosure.

10. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I'm saving a ton of money on formula by using walmart's brand. I was afraid to do this thinking I was skimping on my babies nutritional needs, but I compared the labels to Enfamil (what I normally use) and word for word, the ingredients are identical. I checked with my pediatrician and he said go for it. The savings is over 50%. They can do this apparently because they don't have an advertising budget to pay for. I think Target has a formula that mimicks similac. I also save on diapers by using store brands. So far they've worked really well- either target or walmart's brand- no leaks or issues with diaper rashes... good luck!

11. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Babies4Susan @ Jan 16 2008, 11:24 AM) [snapback]575025[/snapback]
    Costco, Costco, and Costco.

I buy my diapers, wipes there now, and bought their brand formula once my girls were off the Neosure.

This is exactly what we do!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

I also use Baby Cheapskate's website to keep an eye on sales, but we buy our diapers, wipes and formula at Costco.

13. ssbard

ssbard Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jenn G @ Jan 16 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]575036[/snapback]
    I'm saving a ton of money on formula by using walmart's brand. I was afraid to do this thinking I was skimping on my babies nutritional needs, but I compared the labels to Enfamil (what I normally use) and word for word, the ingredients are identical. I checked with my pediatrician and he said go for it. The savings is over 50%. They can do this apparently because they don't have an advertising budget to pay for. I think Target has a formula that mimicks similac. I also save on diapers by using store brands. So far they've worked really well- either target or walmart's brand- no leaks or issues with diaper rashes... good luck!

We use Parents Choice formula too. Our pedi said its virtually the same and the difference is they aren't spending the money on advertising and trying to get doctors to recommend their product. Mine love it and it is soooo much cheaper!

14. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

We use the Wal-mart formula as well. Also Wal-mart sends us 2 coupons for $3 off each month.

We but our diapers at costco and I spend about $10 a week on diapers and about $26 a week on formula. :)

15. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

Like others have metioned, we buy at Diapers.com every month. It's free shipping. 10% off first order and that 5% cash back that you can use within the next 3 months. I know someone already mentioned all these details. I love them! No more hauling huge cases of diapers and formula around the store and then back home. They have other things too like toiletries, pacis, bottles and bottle accesories, etc. I love them :)

16. ejiran

ejiran Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tammy Fine @ Jan 16 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]575421[/snapback]
    We use the Wal-mart formula as well. Also Wal-mart sends us 2 coupons for $3 off each month.

We but our diapers at costco and I spend about $10 a week on diapers and about $26 a week on formula. :)

We are using the Walmart brand of formula as well. Where do you get coupons? We are going through 3 cans a week.

17. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My girls were on half formula/half breastmilk and I managed to make our free formula samples last until about 6 months old. The way I switched them between different types of formulas was by replacing one ounce of their old formula with one ounce of new formula each day. This allowed them to get used to the new taste without them even noticing.

When I ran out of free formula, I used the Costco brand. It was $17.99 for the big can while the Similac and Enfamili were $27.99. One of the easiest ways to save money on formula is to buy generic.

With diapers, I bought at Costco or Babies R Us. The Babies R Us brand Supreme diapers were a very good buy when they were on sale and I used a 30% off coupon that they sent every month or so to those on their mailing list. At 1 year old, I switched to cloth and that saved way, way more money. It's only $600 for enough one-size cloth diapers and inserts to last all the way to potty-training. Cloth diapers now come in versions that look just like disposables, compete with velcro closures, so they're very easy to use.

18. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2babies2tummies @ Jan 16 2008, 08:29 PM) [snapback]575900[/snapback]
    We are using the Walmart brand of formula as well. Where do you get coupons? We are going through 3 cans a week.

Here is the # to call. You will need to call them every 30 days and
    ask them for a coupon. (800) 485-9918

Make sure you specify Wal-mart. Also, if you tell them you have twins, you will need to send them a photocopy of their birth certificates to prove it and they will send you 2 a month.

it is not a lot, but every little bit helps. If you did it from birth to 12 months you would save $72. Also get your friends to sign up. :)

19. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

For me, the most savings we found is Sam's club Market brand formula and diapers. For formula, it's equivalent to Similac or Enfamil. You can get a 3 lb can for $19.99. Also their Market brand diapers are super cheap and we've never had a problem with them the cost is about $26. My sister and SIL both like them better than the Huggies. We also like the White Cloud Dipers you can get at Walmart...they're made by the same company as the Sam's Market brand. Parent's Choice is good for the formula. You can save almost half. The diapers are pretty good but I think they run small.

20. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I'm pumping bm exclusively for now, but will buy a large can of formula from Sam's Club (off brand just as good as mainstream brands) when I'm done. Right now we cloth diaper to save money. We use disposables when out in public.

21. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I buy my diapers at a BJs (a whoelsale club like Sam's Club). I buy pampers because I have not had alot of luck with off brands but I can buy them in bulk which helps alot. I also signed up with pampers to get coupons....and BJs also gives out coupons for diapers. For formula I buy Target brand formula. It's 1/2 the price of Enfamil and has the exact same ingredients. I like Target because I can get run and get it quickly if needed since Target is everywhere. All formulas have to be FDA approved so no matter which you chose it has to meet certain standards before it can be sold.

22. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

We also use Parents' CHoice formula. We've used it with all 3 of our girls. Saves SO much $$! Also, we have found that Luvs or White Cloud brand diapers have worked the best for us with our twins after they were about 4 mos & started sleeping on their tummies. We used to be diehard Pampers fans though. And yes, COUPONS!!!

23. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

800-410-9629 is the parents choice number i have.

My pedi gives me about 15 cans every visit ( right now they go monthly for RSV shots) so that helps. Also CVS takes ANY of my coupons... Pedi gives me 3.00 coupons for Enfamil (suppose to be the next step but CVS accepts them for the regular too) so i use them for the small cans that you mix with water. I buy 2-5 everytime i got there and also use other coupons i get. The other day 4 cans cost me 2.46... :)
    Also again sign up for enfamil and similac... go to their websites and if you call enfamil they will send you two cases of formula... Call them it is never too late...
    diapers again i do CVS and use coupons and pay very little... i just stay stocked up and buy weekly...

24. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that all of you are receiving coupons...I used Similac - signed up for Welcome Additions, signed my mother up for Welcome Additions, called them and told them I was having twins and faxed copies of their birth certificates.....

......and never received a single stinking coupon - EVER!

25. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

WOW amy i would have been livid... I got tons of coupons and i am getting ready to call them AGAIN to tell them that i am not receiving the items that they stated i would... I call Enfamil here and there and they send me more coupons too... I figure it is my way to get help since qaulifying for anything is next to impossible with a two income family...

26. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Jan 17 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]576718[/snapback]
    I'm amazed that all of you are receiving coupons...I used Similac - signed up for Welcome Additions, signed my mother up for Welcome Additions, called them and told them I was having twins and faxed copies of their birth certificates.....

Me too with Enfamil. I gave up, but I'll probably start getting coup's after the girls turn 1 and I don't need them anymore. If I do, I'll definitely pass them along here. But really how annoying... thankfully DH and I can afford it and I buy bulk at BJ's so its not that bad.

To the OP, I also buy pampers at BJ's when I have coupons. Their biggest box of size 3 (198 diapers) is very reasonably priced with coupons and lasts a couple weeks.

27. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Jan 17 2008, 04:44 PM) [snapback]576718[/snapback]

WE DIDN'T GET COUPONS EITHER. I signed up everywhere and even used the formula coupons (which i thought would lead to more). the only coupons we seemed to get were for Good Start. We do get pampers and huggies occasionally, but not nearly enough for how much we buy.

Costco wipes are great - but i try to keep Huggies wipes for messy buts....and use the costco ones for everyone else.

28. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

Mine are on Similac too and we rarely get coupons. I got initially $5 worth of coupons through Welcome Additions and then another $5 of coupons a few months later with a survey. When I spend close to $100 a week on formula, a $5 coupon every 3 months is laughable. Seriously, why do they bother? I also sent them an email to see if they a special "multiples" program and they don't. Although they did send an extra $8 worth of coupons in the mail for contacting them and asking.

A lot of people mentioned ordering diapers online, but the Web site's prices were higher than my local Target, Wal-mart and grocery store. Is there some other perk to ordering online other than price?

29. tiggerlm26

tiggerlm26 Active Member

formula is regulated by the FDA so all brands are exaclty the same ingredents for the same types of formula. We are still on Neosure and there is no generic equivelent but we get all our formula from ebay.

Diapers - we buy when target has the $5 gift card and when Toys R Us has the $10 coupon when you buy two packages of diapers. They also take manufactures coupons in conjuction with the gift card offers. Another diaper tip, keeps babies in the smallest size possible, the smaller the size the more diapers in a package so the price per diaper is cheeper.

30. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

COSTCO, COSTCO, COSTCO. For formula, diapers and wipes. On occasion at a store with a coupon if it is a good deal.

We tried diapers.com, but found costco to be cheaper for us.

31. MYSTICH

MYSTICH Well-Known Member

diapers contact manufacture for coupons every month sign up for their mailings. If you ever see one thing wrong complain and they will send coupons, when you use as many diapers as we do you are going to see flaws every once in a while. Make sure when you have good experiences with wipes diapers bath products contact them also they will send coupons too. Watch Target they clearance diapers out a lot and watch their coupon generator you can use their coupons with manufacture coupons double savings they have Luvs right now. They have had bogo luvs in the past. A great site with all kinds of deals plus baby ones and they have the coupon thing for target too. http://www.afullcup.com/upload/target/ http://www.luvs.com/en_US/images/BearHugSt...bcoupon_jan.pdf
    For formula we use WIC income guidelines for our family is anything under 87,000 so we qualify which is good we are using Neosure pretty spendy. I would recommend checking if any of your families qualify it saves a lot of money
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/default.htm
    the income guidelines on this site are the 2-5 age group
    The income guidelines are higher for children under 2 and pregnant women for mn for sure
    http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/wic/...hbts/ex5/5a.pdf and probably is the same in other states.

otherwise A lot of doctor offices can give samples. Or contact reps too. Carnation good start if you contact them and let them know you have twins they will send you two cans and contact them once a month they will send you more coupons.
    Parent choice:To receive the valuable coupons on a continuing basis, you must either
    e-mail every thirty days or call their toll-free consumer information line
    at 1-800-410-9629 every thirty days.
    Similac welcome addition club http://welcomeaddition.com/
    Enfamil https://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/ConsumerReg...dConsentInfo.do

make sure you are using home address not po boxes with the formula ones

With a lot of companies if you just contact them they will send coupons not just baby stuff check this site out they have great topics too like this one http://www.bigbigforums.com/grocery-shoppi...ml#post95770249
    hope this helps :)