MMR and autism

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by avenable, Aug 29, 2007.

1. avenable

avenable Member

I am a teacher in an elementary school, so I see and work with kids with autism all the time. The numbers keep going up every year and I've heard through professionals and nonprofessionals that there may be a link between the MMR shot and autism. Supposedly, the MIXTURE of the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines is what MAY cause autism, so some doctors actually separate the vaccinces and give them that way. I went yesterday to my girls' one year appointment, and they don't separate them in my office. My doctor didn't discount the theory that it may cause autism, in fact she said her own child will have her's separated. However, she said there is no SCIENTIFIC evidence to back up the connection between autism and the MMR. She said I could wait until their 15 month appointment to give them the shot or go somewhere where they separate them. A
    Any advice????
    What did you do???
    Amy

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I didn't know that they could be separated. I would go somewhere else to have the shots given. The fact that your dr would want her child to have separate vaccines, I would want that too. I've also "heard" that the vaccines MAY be reacting to drugs that mom's were given during birth. It's such a scary situation. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

3. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

My ped advised that it wasn't the combo MMR that was the problem, it was the thermisol in the shots that they originally thought created the link to autism. My Ped said that they no longer put that ingredient in the MMR vaccine AND that research is now showing it's more of a coincidence in the timing of the autism diagnosis than anything else. There is no scientific evidence backing the original theory of there being a link between the two.

I chose to vaccinate as scheduled by my Ped.

4. li li

li li Well-Known Member

This has been an enormous and controversial issue in Britain. As a result there was a large fall in the number of people having their children vaccinated with the MMR which means there've been more outbreaks of the illnesses. The main study linking autism and MMR (by Andrew Wakefield) has since been discredited and, as your doctor said, there is no scientific evidence linking the two. This is not to dispute the very evident rise in cases of Autism and it's unclear why this may be so. They've suggested and explore a range of possible causes such as mercury or other heavy metals (maybe mother's exposure during pregnancy), other chemicals in the vaccine as PP mentioned, even ultrasounds during pregnancy etc. I'm not sure the evidence-base for these.

Mainstream doctors in Britain are mostly against giving the vaccines separately as this delays immunisation. They argue that, until the child is immunised, they risk catching the illness. Mumps can cause sterility in boys; and measles can be really really nasty (causing brain damage etc years later). Obviously these effects are fortunately rare, but they do happen.

Obviously you have to be comfortable with whatever decision you make. In my view (and I'm not a doctor or anything), as I had daughters (with a much lower risk of autistic spectrum disorders) and no family history on either side of anything like autism, I chose to vaccinate on the usual timetable.

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Hi Stranger!

At the boys ped office, they do it at 15 months. I decided they wont be having the MMR shot at that time. I will think about giving it at their 2 year.

How else did their appointment go?

6. avenable

avenable Member

It went fine, they're both in the 50 th percentile and healthy, so that was great. I did not give them the vaccine- but my doctor said the latest I could do it is at their 15 month check up. I'm just a freak about that. If they are autistic, we can work with that, but I just don't want to ever second guess this. Jen E.'s doctor separated hers, and she won't even give her boy whole milk until 15 months. Anyways, maybe I'm just a worrywart. How are you?

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All of my children are fully vaxed according to our peds. schedule. I think it was 12 months they all got the MMR.

ETA:None of my children have ever had any reactions to any vax.

8. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

My pedi does the MMR at 12 months. I decided to delay ALL vaccines after 12 months until they are at least 2 years old. Luckily my pedi was supportive of this decision. I will reconsider at 2 years, but may delay up to age 3. Like you, I would rather not be second guessing myself later should a problem develop. I am comfortable with the risk factors of the delayed vaccines because my boys are at home the majority of the time. When we do move forward with the rest of the vaccines, I will be insisting on a separated MMR, given at different intervals of time.

9. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

According to my Dr the link was caused by the time frame it was given. Autism is noticed around a year which is when most of the MMR shots are given. We waited till 15 onths & have not had any problems.

10. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Well-Known Member

Mine are 16 months, I haven't given it yet. I have a gut feeling about these vaccines and I am worried about giving them... and not giving them. This is a very interesting website:

http://www.thinktwice.com/

Follow your instincts. Good luck with your decision.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I followed my instincts and chose to believe the studies that say there isn't any link. FWIW, DH is a scientist and asked some of his colleagues about it, and they all said the same thing. But I know you can find evidence either way, so it does just go back to following your instincts.

Our ped gives those shots at 18 months rather than 15, but I didn't ask why -- I didn't realize until afterwards that it was more common to give them at 15.

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Lindyloo @ Aug 29 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]385344[/snapback]
    Mine are 16 months, I haven't given it yet. I have a gut feeling about these vaccines and I am worried about giving them... and not giving them.

Follow your instincts. Good luck with your decision.

This is pretty much how I feel. I am trying to go with my gut feeling and also with what "should" be done. When we went in for our one year appt. I told the doc that I didn't want it now and that I wanted to seperate it. They don't offer it {at my docs office} seperate, but they totally took my feelings into consideration and said we will delay it until two. I want them vaccinated but not now, and I was happy that they didn't give me a hard time. Personally, I think they shouldn't, they are MY kids. It's tough knowing what to do. Good luck!

13. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I've chosen to delay all vaccinations until after the age of 2 but recently I've been thinking about holding off until they are 3. When its time for the MMR shot I will have it separated, I'd rather be safe then sorry. Good luck with your decision, its a hard one to make, go with your instincts.

14. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

I know there is no scientific proof, but I work with TONS of autistic children who swear their children were developing normally (videos to prove it), then lost language and became withdrawn right after the MMR shot. I wasn't willing to take any chances. My ped didn't seperate the shots, but was willing to give me a perscription to get them in a seperate form. Then she administered the shots one month at a time starting at 16 months. I felt most comfortable with this. You have to do what you feel comfortable doing!

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

gave all vax on time per ped's schedule and have had no problems - in fact they get 4 more shots on 9/20 and then nothing until boosters for kindergarten...

16. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

My pediatrician gives the MMR at 18 months, so that is when we had it done.

17. lettered olive

lettered olive Well-Known Member

It is my belief that autism is caused by a genetic predisposition that is then triggered by some kind of environmental component. The environmental component is something that typical kids without this genetic predisposition can handle. Kids with the genetic predisposition are unable to process the multiple viruses in the vaccinations; are unable to rid their bodies of any traces of heavy metals; do not have the proper enzymes to get the nutrients they need from their food therefore their brains are starving; are unable to process certain kinds of food properly causing yeast overgrowth and neurological problems, I could go on....

In my opinion, it is best to give all vaccinations in a much slower pace than suggested. This includes breaking up vaccinations that are given in one vial.

Trust me, it is easy for the PP's whose children did not have any problems with the vaccinations to say, "sure it'll be fine, my kid was fine, go for it!" Pediatricians are only giving you the information that is fed to them in medical school and through the APA. There is a lot of information out there that better explains why ~sometimes~ the MMR causes problems in some kids. With my child, who is currently bordering on an autism diagnosis, I believe he has food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances that are causing his neurological problems. I DID split up the MMR! I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't. He got all of his other vaccinations on time, and did have some reactions. But I was told that was okay. I think that the heavy vaccination schedule ~contributed~ to his current condition, but so did other things (his food), but only because he was genetically predispositioned.

My advice to you is to split it up. Get the vaccinations on your own schedule, not your pedi's. You don't want to look back and have any regrets ~if~ you happen to have a child that does lose skills after getting the shot. JMO...

18. QUOTE(swiertel @ Aug 29 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]385520[/snapback]
    I know there is no scientific proof, but I work with TONS of autistic children who swear their children were developing normally (videos to prove it), then lost language and became withdrawn right after the MMR shot. I wasn't willing to take any chances. My ped didn't seperate the shots, but was willing to give me a perscription to get them in a seperate form. Then she administered the shots one month at a time starting at 16 months. I felt most comfortable with this. You have to do what you feel comfortable doing!

I also work with autistic children and AS usually manifests between 12 and 18 mo, so this could be coincidence too....

19. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lettered olive @ Aug 29 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]385700[/snapback]
    It is my belief that autism is caused by a genetic predisposition that is then triggered by some kind of environmental component. The environmental component is something that typical kids without this genetic predisposition can handle. Kids with the genetic predisposition are unable to process the multiple viruses in the vaccinations; are unable to rid their bodies of any traces of heavy metals; do not have the proper enzymes to get the nutrients they need from their food therefore their brains are starving; are unable to process certain kinds of food properly causing yeast overgrowth and neurological problems, I could go on....

In my opinion, it is best to give all vaccinations in a much slower pace than suggested. This includes breaking up vaccinations that are given in one vial.

Trust me, it is easy for the PP's whose children did not have any problems with the vaccinations to say, "sure it'll be fine, my kid was fine, go for it!" Pediatricians are only giving you the information that is fed to them in medical school and through the APA. There is a lot of information out there that better explains why ~sometimes~ the MMR causes problems in some kids. With my child, who is currently bordering on an autism diagnosis, I believe he has food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances that are causing his neurological problems. I DID split up the MMR! I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't. He got all of his other vaccinations on time, and did have some reactions. But I was told that was okay. I think that the heavy vaccination schedule ~contributed~ to his current condition, but so did other things (his food), but only because he was genetically predispositioned.

My advice to you is to split it up. Get the vaccinations on your own schedule, not your pedi's. You don't want to look back and have any regrets ~if~ you happen to have a child that does lose skills after getting the shot. JMO...

I just want to say, this is a great post! I agree with 100%. :)

20. nkirk

nkirk Well-Known Member

I have a two year old son and also faced the decision as to whether or not to give the mmr vaccine to my son. I wasn't aware that they could be separated (maybe this is recent?) However, ultimately I decided to give it to him because through my research and speaking with my ped it appeared as though there wasn't scientific proof that it caused autism.

Originally a coworker brought this to my attention and he proceeded to lend me 5 books that his wife had read about this topic! After reading these books, he and his wife decided not to give their son the vaccine. Coincidentally, his wife was an elementary schoolteacher as well..

I didn't end up reading the books, but I found some information on www.msnbc.com that explained autism and the vaccination debate in layman's terms. Here's a link to the website in case your interested. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13068292/ I found this to be quite a personal decision and was initially scared by the controversy. Good luck with your decision...

21. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

One of my twins was developing normally (more social, babbling tons, clapping, ect) until I would say between 10 and 11months, then he bagan to lose some skills and become more withdrawn. He slowly stopped responding to his name, stopped smiling as much,never claps, does not follow any direction and other humans may as well not exist except for his oldest brother. I began to notice a super gradual change in him, so gradual others may have never noticed until it was really obvious around 12 months. We did not vaccinate at his 12mo appointment, choosing to wait, for what I'm not sure. Obviously, the MMR was not the cause of his disablilty. He has not been diagnosed as autistic yet, but I have the feeling he will be. His identical twin is developmentally delayed, but developing within normal limits on most things. He was already evaluated and did not warrant any diagnosis or treatment. He is begining to talk and answer to his name. (The first twin has not had the formal eval. yet because he has been sick each time we schedule it.) This is all my round about way of saying that in his case, as in many cases of development disablilties, things are often right on track and then something happens. It could be biological or genetic or environmental, but I don't have the answers. I do know the vaccines did not cause this issue and I have never believed they have in the case of autism. My twins do have food allergies and I do believe that seems a more likely factor in neurological disorders simply because your body is assaulted with something it cannot process and it changes the actual chemical composition in the brain and body. We still have not uncovered all of the things he is allergic to, I don't know if we ever will. Sorry to ramble! Good luck with your decision, it is a difficult one with so many differing opinions out there.

Kelly

22. swiertel

QUOTE(lettered olive @ Aug 30 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]385700[/snapback]

Very well stated!

23. swiertel

QUOTE(three_precious_girls @ Aug 30 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]385710[/snapback]
    I also work with autistic children and AS usually manifests between 12 and 18 mo, so this could be coincidence too....

Not a coincidence for many of the families who had their child' mercury levels tested and they were off the charts. It's just so scary.

24. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

My kids' are getting their MMR shots seperately. They just got the measles part now at their 15 month appointment. They will get the other two parts over the next couple of months.

Better to be safe than sorry.

25. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

I struggled with this issue too. I worked in the health food industry for 7 years prior to having kids and I am aware of the concerns about vaccines. After talking to other people and doing some reasearch, DH and I decided to vaccinate. My kids weren't showing any signs of autism, which I know won't show up until later, but it is hard to tell what will happen. We did wait until 15 months, actually my pedi recommended it too, so I was happy about that. This is a very tough decision, of which we definitely don't know the answers to. I sure wish we did. I know the numbers are increasing all the time with ASD. It is sad. Won't it be wonderful when a cure is found. Let's hope it's soon.

26. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

All of my children are fully vaxed according to our peds. schedule. I think it was 12 months they all got the MMR.

ETA:None of my children have ever had any reactions to any vax.

Ditto, except ours had the MMR at 15 months.

Happy healthy kiddos here.

27. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

In nursing school, we were taught that immunizations do NOT cause autism!!! over and over they told us that....BUT, now that I am a mom, I agree with the previous poster that I believe a child has a genetic susceptibility to autism and that a number of things could activate it, one of them being the MMR vaccine. I am just stating this from what I have read and from people that I have talked to. This is why I have decided to delay the MMR vaccine for my girls until....???? I don't know when I will feel comfortable...maybe when they are 2 or 3??? I do realize that there is no "hard data" for what I believe, but it is just a gut feeling that I have....

28. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lettered olive @ Aug 29 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]385700[/snapback]

I agree with some of what you said as far as a genetic predisposition for autism & environmental triggers. But...there is no scientific evidence that I could find for your hypothesis about kids with genetic predispositions having trouble with the viruses in vaccines or dealing with heavy metals in vaccines. In fact what you are saying is in direct opposition to any scientific study - there is no proven link between vaccines & autism. I could say that cell phones have caused the massive upswing in autism since the increase in cases has corresponded to cell phone saturation, but I would have no more scientific data to back me up than you do.

I also have to dispute your statement that pediatricians are just "fed information in medical school & by the AAP". I sleep with a pediatrician every night & have been around physicians on a daily basis for the past decade. Medical school teaches physicians to think for themselves, research & study all available information & question everything. The AAP has committees of the best & brightest physicians who study & confer to create the positions of the Academy - they are an information gathering source for pediatricians & provide all the research & data that led them to their conclusion. Long before we had children I saw my dh researching & studying vaccination issues. Once we had our babies, I saw him spend hours studying & researching all the the latest information before each of our babies' vaccines. He is not the exception in my experience - all the physicians I know immerse themselves in all available information to make sure they have all the latest data. My girls have been fully immunized, based on a careful study of all published & unpublished research available. My dh & I opted not to break up the vaccines since the more vaccines a child receives, the greater the possibility of an adverse reaction - that is documented while the autism link is debunked conjecture.

My heart breaks for all the families affected by autism - I can't imagine how I would cope. I pray for a key to unlock the mystery very, very soon.

29. dueinapril

dueinapril Member

We have decided to not vaccinate our boys for a couple reasons.

The gov't entities who approve vaccines (CDC, FDA, etc.) also are allowed to own equities in these same pharmaceutical companies. It's easy for them to get waivers to do so. So they can profit from approving a new vaccine. That scares me. And there are Senators like Dan Burton-Indiana, who are fighting this whole shady process of how vaccines become "approved".

The testing done for vaccine safety is rarely long term, and if you read the reports, (I have read many), the studies are quite assumptive in favor of the pharm. co.'s. Go figure.
    To my knowledge, there have been NO well funded studies of the link between autism and MMR. That's why the only information people have to go on is circumstantial evidence. So my question is, what are they afraid of finding out? That the link actually exists?
    If you look at physicians' offices for Amish communities, they don't see cases of autism. "Coincidentally" they don't vaccinate either. Although they are starting to follow the mainstream in this regard.

When your child gets a disease, the body fights off the virus and it's symptoms through the mucous membranes and digestive system. The blood barrier to the brain protects your brain from the virus. When the virus along with mercury, fermeldehyde, and other vaccine toxins are injected into your childs bloodstream, it goes through the blood barrier directly into the brain. Is this what's causing so many neurological problems? I don't really want to find out. BTW, thimersol(mercury) is still being used in many doctor offices. The only way to verify it's not is to ask the doctor to see the "lot" and its packaging. The CDC was caught "misstating" this issue.

If you look at the actual charts on disease, you will find that these diseases came into the country, worked their way through the population, and then mostly went away. It was AFTER this that vaccines were actually mandated. So is there any actual proof that the vaccines did anything helpful? I don't see it.

My wife had no vaccines, but her two older brothers were vaccinated. They still got the chicken pox, mumps, mealsles, etc. They got a lot more sick than she did. Her symptoms were much more mild than theirs, and she became well much quicker. Coincidence?

How much do I want to mess with God's design of my child's immune system?

I believe Japan requires children to be at least 6 before they receive shots.

And finally, we would rather risk our boys getting these diseases and using the great modern medications to treat them (ie antibiotics), than expose them to the risk of getting a neurological disease that we can't treat effectively.

Tough issue, lots of opinions, parents need to do their own research. Doctors don't have a monopoly on information, and don't always have all the right answers. There was a time when doctors were killing mothers by going from delivery to delivery without washing their hands. The one doctor who stood up and said they were passing on germs was ridiculed out of his profession, ended up in a nuthouse, and eventually killed himself. It wasn't until later that the medical community figured out he was right. Thanks to the internet, we can all be better informed.

30. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

Mine were just getting over a cold at the one year apt, so, we waited until the 15 month point.

31. azmomto2

azmomto2 Well-Known Member

Although I have a lot of respect for the medical profession I have little or no respect for pharmaceutical companies. We have chosen to postpone MMR because I believe there may be a connection. It is mysterious to me that MMR and the onset of autism often coincide with the timing of language development.

If I had just listened to my doctors, I would never have gotten pregnant. I believe in getting the best advice possible, doing your own research and then making your own decision to protect your children. In the end, you are the one responsible for their safety.

32. avenable

avenable Member

Thank you everyone! All of your opinions were very informative and helpful. We are definitely waiting until 15 months, if not until two-
    :)

33. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cassidyandlogan @ Aug 29 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]385246[/snapback]
    I am a teacher in an elementary school, so I see and work with kids with autism all the time. The numbers keep going up every year and I've heard through professionals and nonprofessionals that there may be a link between the MMR shot and autism. Supposedly, the MIXTURE of the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines is what MAY cause autism, so some doctors actually separate the vaccinces and give them that way. I went yesterday to my girls' one year appointment, and they don't separate them in my office. My doctor didn't discount the theory that it may cause autism, in fact she said her own child will have her's separated. However, she said there is no SCIENTIFIC evidence to back up the connection between autism and the MMR. She said I could wait until their 15 month appointment to give them the shot or go somewhere where they separate them. A
    Any advice????
    What did you do???
    Amy

My kids didnt get that one or any other.

34. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

QUOTE(dueinapril @ Aug 30 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]385903[/snapback]

The gov't entities who approve vaccines (CDC, FDA, etc.) also are allowed to own equities in these same pharmaceutical companies. It's easy for them to get waivers to do so. So they can profit from approving a new vaccine. That scares me. And there are Senators like Dan Burton-Indiana, who are fighting this whole shady process of how vaccines become "approved".

The testing done for vaccine safety is rarely long term, and if you read the reports, (I have read many), the studies are quite assumptive in favor of the pharm. co.'s. Go figure.
    To my knowledge, there have been NO well funded studies of the link between autism and MMR. That's why the only information people have to go on is circumstantial evidence. So my question is, what are they afraid of finding out? That the link actually exists?
    If you look at physicians' offices for Amish communities, they don't see cases of autism. "Coincidentally" they don't vaccinate either. Although they are starting to follow the mainstream in this regard.

When your child gets a disease, the body fights off the virus and it's symptoms through the mucous membranes and digestive system. The blood barrier to the brain protects your brain from the virus. When the virus along with mercury, fermeldehyde, and other vaccine toxins are injected into your childs bloodstream, it goes through the blood barrier directly into the brain. Is this what's causing so many neurological problems? I don't really want to find out. BTW, thimersol(mercury) is still being used in many doctor offices. The only way to verify it's not is to ask the doctor to see the "lot" and its packaging. The CDC was caught "misstating" this issue.

If you look at the actual charts on disease, you will find that these diseases came into the country, worked their way through the population, and then mostly went away. It was AFTER this that vaccines were actually mandated. So is there any actual proof that the vaccines did anything helpful? I don't see it.

My wife had no vaccines, but her two older brothers were vaccinated. They still got the chicken pox, mumps, mealsles, etc. They got a lot more sick than she did. Her symptoms were much more mild than theirs, and she became well much quicker. Coincidence?

And finally, we would rather risk our boys getting these diseases and using the great modern medications to treat them (ie antibiotics), than expose them to the risk of getting a neurological disease that we can't treat effectively.

Tough issue, lots of opinions, parents need to do their own research. Doctors don't have a monopoly on information, and don't always have all the right answers. There was a time when doctors were killing mothers by going from delivery to delivery without washing their hands. The one doctor who stood up and said they were passing on germs was ridiculed out of his profession, ended up in a nuthouse, and eventually killed himself. It wasn't until later that the medical community figured out he was right. Thanks to the internet, we can all be better informed.

Very nice post. :)

35. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

I have to respond to this because this is xactly the kind of thing that hangs out on the internet and people only gt half of a picture.

QUOTE(dueinapril @ Aug 30 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]385903[/snapback]

Amish communties have to marry within their religion and therefore some bizarre and otherwise unknown genetic disorders surface in this population because of inbreeding I am not sure this is the population I would use for a case against vaccination there may be no genetic history of autism just as my family has no history of bizzaro genetic disorders that totally incapacitate. By your logic my families history of vaccination protects us from these genetic problems.

Umm the body fights off infection with white blood cells....

So explain the 3rd world countries wrought with disease and no vaccines...

Circumstantial

as much as I messed with reproductive system....

These diseases are viruses and CANNOT be fought with antibiotics.

Tough issue, lots of opinions, parents need to do their own research. Doctors don't have a monopoly on information, and don't always have all the right answers. There was a time when doctors were killing mothers by going from delivery to delivery without washing their hands. The one doctor who stood up and said they were passing on germs was ridiculed out of his profession, ended up in a nuthouse, and eventually killed himself. It wasn't until later that the medical community figured out he was right. Thanks to the internet, we can all be better informed. or worse and paranoid about nothing

There was a time that women and babies died in childbirth because of the inability to perform C-sections sooooooo I think that if the medical community is learning more and incorporating that into their practices there must be good reasons. And I, for one, am grateful for the benefits