Middle of the night tantrums

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Mom2VLS, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I'm sitting here listening to about the 20th minute of Sophie's midnight tantrum. Wondering if anyone has any special tips or tricks for nighttime tantrums or even just stories of commiseration. It doesn't help that we are in a townhouse so I know the neighbors can hear it all. :(

2. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My first thought was is it a tantrum or a night terror?  Is she fully awake?  My son has night terrors and it starts with him crying and then behaviour that reminds one of a tantrum.  He is not awake though and doesn't want to be touched/comforted.  It is also very difficult to wake him up. This will happen when he is over stimulated or tired.

If it really is a tantrum I will deal with it in the same way as I deal with tantrums during the day.

I hope that you find a way to deal with this.

1 person likes this.
  3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, are you 100% certain it's a tantrum?  Alice would get night terrors and they were bad, bad, bad.  Worse than her tantrums actually were during daylight.  Good luck and let us know what time you ended up back in bed yourself!

4. Mom2VLS

I'm pretty sure it's a tantrum. Something will wake her up - teething, dirty diaper, whatever. I will pick her up to take care of the issue and comfort her (which she takes). She will get perfectly calm but as soon as she thinks I am taking her back to her room, she starts thrashing around and screeching. It's exactly like her daytime tantrums.

Tantrums are kind of a new thing for me. She's my first to regularly have them. Vivi and Livie have thrown tantrums of course but they are fairly rare, short-lived, and less intense. Last night's tantrum lasted 25 minutes and it was another 20 minutes or so before Sophie really settled down. During the day, we ignore the tantrum (if safe) and praise her when she calms down. I just feel bad for the other kids and neighbors in the middle of the night.

I'm guessing there's nothing to do but be consistent but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing.

5. Mom2VLS

Oh and nighttime tantrums only happen once or twice a month for her really. Mostly because I make every effort not to get in her room at night.

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

If you are 1000% sure it's tantrum. Then I would suggest totally ignore her when it happens, strict bed time rules, and do not take her out of her bed/bedroom no matter what. If its not necessary, do not come in. And if you come in, just comfort her then say nighty night. Don't pick her up if you don't have to. . Kids are smart. If they know they can't get their ways, they will stop. Gl!

7. Mom2VLS

Thanks. That's generally what I do unless the neighbors start banging on the wall. I'll keep on keeping on and hope she grows out of it quick!