Maybe Twins...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twinmom2dana, Apr 11, 2013.

1. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I had my 12 week appt yesterday and when we checked for HB, it sounded kind of like two. Now with my history, this is very possible not to mention how I feel, super hungry, super sick, and feeling movement way up and way down. So midwife decides I should come back and have ultrasound, just in case, Here's what happened...

My midwife is one of 7 at a practice along with several docs. The one I saw yesterday was a doc I don't regularly interact with, only seen him once. He came in and said "You were here earlier?" I said yes and he said "Then why are you back?" I told him when we heard the HB it sounded to me like 2 (rates were 160 and 170) and the nurse concurred enough that a look was needed. He said "what makes you qualified to know it was 2 HB's?" I said this isn't my first twin pregnancy and Katie (midwife) went with my intuition. He said "Katie was just being nice and there is no reason for this" I asked him did he know my history and reminded him I have a set, miscarried a set, miscarried a twin from a set, AND I'm 39, so there is a risk factor. He said "Not enough for this, with healthcare costs" (Uh is HE paying or getting PAID?) Meanwhile he proceeds to start after his rant, and goes to LIFT MY DRESS UP without warning, I stopped him as I had on a halter and tank so I could pull it down. He says nothing, plops the gel on my belly, put the transducer on my belly button, says "See one baby" and starts scrubbing goo off of me. I stopped him, asked him not to touch, told him was rude and disrespectful, and he handed me a pic and said "you need another appt?" :woah: I told him NOT HERE! We're going with one baby, but I honestly am still not 100%. Was that one pass over my belly button sufficient? Ugh I'm still so upset.

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Oh, this doctor sounds so weird, I am sorry you had to go through that. I hope you have a great rest of the pregnancy.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Wow. Unbelievable... what a jerk! I would look him up online and give him a negative review... I don't know where you do that, but there must be some place!!! And, no way would I be paying for that ultrasound!!!!! Good for you for sticking up for yourself!!

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ratemd.com although I haven't checked it out recently.

Good for you for speaking up! I'm sorry he was so rude and clearly having a crap day. Not fair for him to take it out on you. :(

5. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

Not sufficient. When I came in at 12 weeks for vomiting/dehydration check we already knew twins from 10w u/s and the NP took quite awhile to find both hb on doppler. My Baby A is very low and it has taken the NP and MD a few extra times to find him. Sorry you had to deal with that and I hope you find a good doctor.
    ETA : sorry, you had an u/s with this doctor? I don't know...I'd still get checked out with a different practice...

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh. I would not want that person anywhere near me during the rest of my pregnancy or delivery. I'd also ask for another opinion.

7. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I just don't think I'm gonna rest well til I KNOW for sure. He was so determined to prove me wrong, and literally did not move the transducer anywhere on my belly except the one spot. We already planned on doing the 3D/4D gender ultrasound, the one you can pay for. My sisters have insisted and are chipping in so I hope we will be able to see for sure then. I love my midwife and several of the other docs, so I believe I will stay for now. But I swear I will deliver this baby myself if he somehow ends up being on call when I deliver.

8. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Wow, how rude! Hope you don't have to deal with him much!

9. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I am sorry that happened to you. I don't have any patience for doctors who don't have any 'bedside' manner.
    I would let at least one of the other doctors in the practice know about the incident. If he was having a bad day and this was a one time occurrence then fine. However, if this is his normal attitude then they deserve to know. His rudeness could be driving patients away and effecting their business.

I worked 13 years at a veterinary practice and clients did sometimes come to me with reports of 'mis-behavior'. If it was a problem I thought was legit, I usually asked them to share their report with the owner.
    we were always grateful when clients informed us of negative behavior. Since the exchanges usually happen in private, there is no way to know about these things unless clients/patients share.

To appear not to be 'tattling' you could phrase it in a question as to how the 'on call' rotation happens and explain your concern that he might be the doctor for the delivery.

10. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

So the midwives rotate through delivery with the doctors? The couple practices I've had with midwives, the doctors saw their own patients and were backup for the midwives in case of emergency but they weren't on the regular rotation for who you might have deliver your baby normally, if you'd chosen midwives.

I would be ticked!!! That behavior is totally unacceptable! I told my DH about it and he said he'd tell the practice we weren't paying for the U/S and call the insurance company and tell them not to pay for it either, because he didn't do it thoroughly. I don't know if that would work.