Maternity clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by gina_leigh, Nov 23, 2013.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I guess this is more of a general rant and I decided to put it here because I think it applies to all pregnant ladies- twins, or after. 

I remember when I was pregnant with the twins (granted- that was 6 years ago...) there were maternity sections is basically all department stores. Now it's nearly impossible to find affordable maternity clothes! I live in a large city and so far my options have been 1 Destination Maternity store (so a Motherhood Maternity and A Pea in the Pod all in one store), Kohl's with limited selections, Target, and Macy's which just has the Motherhood Maternity stuff.  GAH!!!  :gah: 

As of right now, I'm rotating 2 pair of knit/cotton pre-pregnancy yoga-style pants. The waist still fits under my belly and they are mostly comfortable. I have one in black and one in navy. I just bought one pair of maternity leggings and some basic black (non-dress) pants, both with the full-panel because I find that the most comfortable. (And my doctor suggested it since I'm having hip pain. She said the more supportive maternity wear would help.) That's all the pants I have right now. I haven't found any blue jeans because I'm short and overweight. I seriously haven't found one pair of petite maternity blue jeans. 

I have 2 short sleeve shirts- the same shirt in 2 colors. And I have 2 3/4 sleeve shirts. Again, same shirt in different colors. And I have one long sweater to wear with the leggings. 

I just needed to vent and maybe get ideas on where else to shop of maternity clothes that's not online. I have to try stuff on because I have a weird body type.
    So frustrated! 

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3. gina_leigh

I went there yesterday and they said they only carry them online now. :(
    And that sucks because I remember them having a nice selection before. 

The only department store I didn't go to in the mall was Dillard's. And that was because it was on the other side of the mall and I was tired and frustrated after going to Kohl's, JCPenny, Sears, and Macy's. 

ETA:

Thankfully, I'm a SAHM, so I don't need a ton of clothes. I think I'll go back to get another pair of the full-panel generic black pants because they're pretty versatile. I just hate that I basically wear the same thing all the time, just in different colors. LOL 

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I loved Target. If you have a Gap with a Gap Baby section, they often have a maternity clothes section between baby and kids with great sales. I LOVED Gap for tees and casual stuff.

And also, some of our consignment stores will have maternity. Or even Goodwill? I just donated a TON of stuff to Goodwill.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I have the same problem where I live, the only place that has maternity clothes near me is Kohl's.  And of course at the end of the summer they brought out fall stuff but it's too hot to wear fall stuff here.. sooo???  Anyway, I've had good luck with Old Navy online.  They were the one place I could find that had shorts & pants with a beige colored over-the-belly part, instead of navy blue.  I actually just got a pair of jeans from them in the mail this past week (and a couple baby onesies and pants for my boys) and the jeans are super super soft. 

Check retailmenot.com for promo codes and shop the sales.  

6. gina_leigh

Thanks ladies!

I'll have to check out the Gap. I'm pretty sure it's a joint store so hopefully they'll have something. 

Kate, you'd think that stores would think about their local climate a little bit before totally switching out for seasons! Crazy!

7. Katheros

I always think that but it's never true!  They have like full out winter gear in the stores here!  And it started back in Aug-Sept.  Although the local Floridians continue to assure me that 65 degrees is indeed very cold.   A friend from here visited me the other day and we were outside, I was in a tank top and shorts, she was in jeans, flannel shirt, light jacket, scarf and boots.  Ooookie dokie.

8. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

When I was preggo with the twins, I went shopping at our local mall to get a new dress for my baby shower. We went to several different stores and found NO maternity clothes. NONE. I ended up hysterical in jcPennys because I was so upset! I ended up having to buy it online.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yeah Target has a maternity section, I'd forgotten about that. And you know, a pair of brand new maternity shorts appeared after DH cleaned out my closet. They still have the tags on them and are full panel, size large. I'm so tall, they were too short for me while pregnant. Do you want them? If you pm me your address I can stick them in the mail next week or we could meet for lunch again one day.

10. Vividor

Vividor Member

I bought all my maternity clothes online.
    Zulily.com
    Gilt.com
    Haute look.com

The cheapest one is zulily, I got some really nice pieces from them, too bad I can't wear them now since I am in the hospital bedrest for a month already..

Good luck!

11. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Gina, I feel the same way - it has become so difficult to find stores that carry a decent selection of maternity wear. I dragged DH and the kids to town on Saturday because I need some office clothes and came home frustrated and with empty hands. When I was pregnant with the twins I went on bedrest so early that I only had one pair of maternity pants for the office, so I can't go shopping in my closet. I work in a pretty formal work environment so I need proper business maternity clothes and those are hard to find even online and so expensive that I really want to try them on: returning them is a hassle and many online shops only give you a credit instead of real refund and what would I do with lots of credit in a maternity store?

Kate, here it is the other way round: All the maternity wear is not warm enough although we do get cold winters (we have frost every morning, no snow yet but bound to come soon) but I was told in more than one store "but pregnant ladies are always hot". No, I am not, I am freezing because my blood pressure plummets when I am pregnant and I need something more than those thin tops, many of them short-sleeved even in the fall and winter.

12. gina_leigh

We should do lunch again! 

As for the shorts, I'm not sure I'd use them. But maybe Kate could? She mentioned being in shorts. I think I'd be too cold in shorts now! LOL

13. gina_leigh

I've seen some great deals in Zulily. I'm just nervous to buy them without trying them on and then be stuck with something I can't wear. 

I'm so glad I don't have to search for business wear! That would make things much more difficult. I can't shop in my closet either because I was put on bed rest with the twins too. 

I did find a few more things at Destination Maternity. I shopped the Motherhood Maternity side because it's cheaper and little more practical for my needs. And I'm going back to Target today for a few other things, so I think I'm going to pick up a long sleeve tee there to add to the rotation.

I honestly just wonder why most of the department stores got rid of their maternity sections. To me it doesn't make sense!  

14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yup, Target and Old Navy were my go-to. I also got a TON of stuff from a girl on freecycle. Maybe your local buy/sell/trade facebook group?

I did buy one dressy outfit from Loft maternity online.

I was SO frumpy throughout my pregnancy. Either I could find the clothes and they were way too expensive for me to justify them or the selection at our local stores was cleaned out. I feel your pain.

15. Katheros

Maybe you need a little vacay to Florida to get... winter clothes?  :laughing:

16. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like the online places with free shipping that you can return to a local store.  I remember doing that with old navy.

I was in target over the weekend and was surprised at how nice the maternity section looked.

17. Vividor

Vividor Member

I agree, but I just buy leggings and stretchy tops- that's all I can wear now:)

18. Oliver009

Oliver009 New Member

I feel your pain.I got some nice products from ebuy24hours when i was pregnant.
    What i like most is the adjustable belly jeans.It is stylish and comfy.
    [​IMG]

19. amee

amee Member

I think the word affordable ran away a long time ago. I have found more deals online than in any local store and I am not sure why the prices have shot up so much. It is not like we don't have enough to deal with being pregnant and then try to find clothes that fit and won't break the bank.

20. DauntricaMStewart

DauntricaMStewart New Member

I totally agree with amee! Gone are the days when any store could provide with comfortable and affordable maternity clothing. Even big cities don’t have them anymore, it’s like they expect us to remain uncomfortable but in fashion. In these days all you like doing is putting on a plus size long sleeve with some loose shorts and relax around. So forget these shops and wear what you love.