Mad Men

Discussion in 'General' started by Mama_Kim, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Mad Men Season 4 premieres tomorrow, July 25th!!

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Love Mad Men, especially Jon Hamm :wub:.

What did everyone think last night? It's interesting watching them build a new ad agency from the ground up. I didn't expect Don Draper's character to be so solitary after a divorce, since he's always been anything but. Since the XW's new marriage seems a little iffy, do you thing Betty and Don will get back together? All in all, I enjoyed the season premiere.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think they're going to set it up so that Betty starts having an affair with Don.

4. ladybutterflyrose

I thought they were setting up something too! An affair would be a interesting sub plot.

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Agreed on Betty and Don. :good: And Don was very solitary. Odd. It's gonna be a great season! :good:

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also think Betty and Don will get back together. I still think Betty is a witch, especially keeping the baby away from Don :grr: Sally Draper is one angry little girl.
    Don Draper was having the worst Thanksgiving ever! He is a very lonely man. I thought it was interesting when the reporter asked who Don Draper was...it really looked like he had no clue. He spent so much time hiding himself, I don't think he knew how to answer the question.

1 person likes this.
  7. ladybutterflyrose

Interesting observation Nancy.

Betty has the funniest faces to make her appear crabby. I can see why she's mad at Don, as he was a lousy husband in most ways, although playing games with custody is rotten. I hate the way Betty treats Sally :(. In an earlier season, there was a memory of Betty's shown where her mother treated her similarly. Isn't that the way it goes? Well, I still like these characters!

8. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Uhhh? Don is a schmuck who couldn't keep his pants up. And of yeah, he lied to his wife everyday of their marriage.
    He doesn't take the baby on his weekends. That's what Betty said. Carla was watching the baby because Betty knew that Don wouldn't take him.

And why do I care what these fictional characters do? :rolleyes: :lol:

9. Mama_Kim

Because it's fun and more enjoyable than picking apart our own lives? :rofl:

OK, I can see the Don/Betty thing. Don is a schmuck but he's a doll and a bad boy so you know where I stand probably!! (Sucker for the bad boy.) Betty is the ice princess and the perfect corporate wife. But they are in some ways made for each other. She wants the image and the money and he wants to have it both ways. Predictable plot but delicious nonetheless!

1 person likes this.
  10. kingeomer

Anyone watch this week?
    I was a little confused...the boy that wrecked the "Francis" house (except for Sally's room) was the same boy that Betty was trying to befriend or something last year, right (and his mother told Betty to stay away)?
    Don is train-wreckalicious. I don't see that secretary lasting long there and I'm not surprised Don walked out on the presentation by the psychology service and refused to fill out questionnaire. Hiring Freddy again...a good or bad thing. Loved how Peggy handled him, she's really come a long way from season 1.

1 person likes this.
  11. AimeeThomp

Yes, that's the same little boy and he is trouble! I bet he's going to be Sally's first boyfriend. I was pretty surprised about Don and the secretary. :nea: I gave you a point for using train-wreckalicious. :laughing:

Whatever happened to Peggy and that older man who left the agency, I can't think of his name. It's something like Bird? They showed them sleeping together on the recap but I can't remember why they broke up?

1 person likes this.
  12. kingeomer

Oh yeah, Duck. I don't know what happened to him, Aimee...I cannot remember why they broke up at all. I remember he was trying to get her and Pete to go to his new agency and they turned him down...not sure if that's why they broke up or there was another reason.
    I think that boy is going to be Sally's first boyfriend too...a little trivia...that little boy is played by show creator Matthew Weiner's son.
    Thanks for the point :blush: It's like you know Don's going to do something ill advised and stupid (like sleeping with the secretary and then giving her cash as her bonus and not even ponder how she might take that) you cringe but cannot look away.

13. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I think Glen trashed the house so that her Mom would want to move, remember Sally said how she hated it there. I love Don. He is so naughty, but I just can't help myself. [​IMG] I do think it's a little odd that a year went by in between the finale of season 3 and the beginning of season 4. As for Duck and Peggy, they didn't really tie that story up at all, I guess they broke up in the year since they left the original firm.

1 person likes this.
  14. AimeeThomp

I missed like 10 minutes of the show last night. So why was Joan's husband giving her some sort of injection?

15. FirstTimeMom814

She cut her finger and he was giving her stitches. The injection was to numb it.

16. AimeeThomp

Oh, I walked in the room, saw it, and thought he was trying to drug her up! :laughing:

17. kingeomer

:thanks: Trish for the refresher on the Glen story! I totally forgot about that!
    I'm not a fan of Joan's husband at all. Though I am glad he was nice to her when she cut her finger.
    I loved Don & Laine's dysfunctional night out. I felt badly for Don when he found out Anna Draper's prognosis. Was very glad he did not sleep with the niece!
    I did miss Roger, Pete, and Bert in this episode.

18. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I'm so late in getting in on the thread of my favorite show! So far it's a very good season.

Yes, Betty is an ice princess and she and Don did make a "perfect" couple of sorts. I didn't think about them hooking up again...interesting and possible of course. It won't take long for her new hubby see what a witch she is and for her to get bored with him. I don't like Joan's hubby either. I think she's very disappointed in her choice of a husband. I hope it turns out well, but I see him going to war and her having an affair with someone (Roger again, perhaps?).

I love Peggy's character. Not sure why she's dating that new guy who looks like he's 12,though! I always thought she and Pete made a nice couple. Too bad he's married.

19. Mama_Kim

I love Roger's character!! The Silver Fox! And I also liked Peggy with Pete although they are both strange folks, imo. Especially Pete. He rather annoys me.

I like Don/Dick when he is with Anna Draper in California. He seems more 'real' and not this fake image of what he thinks he is supposed to be.

20. FirstTimeMom814

Me too. I think he is my least favorite character. Comes across as somewhat of a weasel. [​IMG]

21. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right about that, Kim. I hadn't really noticed it before, but it's true. I guess perhaps because she "knows" him and loves/cares for him regardless of his past. Too bad he wasn't honest with Betty when he first met her. She probably still would have fallen in love with him and their marriage would have had a chance; IF he could've kept his pants on, that is! :headbang:

22. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

You know, Vincent Kartheiser (who plays Pete) used to annoy me when he played Connor on Angel. Maybe he is just an annoying actor... so they give him the same kinds of roles?? Whine much? ;)

23. FirstTimeMom814

I thought last night's episode was kind of blah. [​IMG]

24. kingeomer

Yes, Pete comes across as a weasel to me too. I actually thought he was going to ream Trudy a new one about getting pregnant and not telling him first. He actually took the news surprisingly well. I still think he and Peggy have a thing for each other.
    Don still keeps messing up with Allison...and I know it was not meant to be a funny scene but I had to chuckle at Peggy peering into his office after the drama with Allison.
    I don't think things are going to end well with Pete and his FIL, it seems like that without his in-laws Pete would be unable to bring in business.

25. AimeeThomp

Yes, he and Peggy obviously have a very strong attraction. And I felt so bad for her when she found out how excited he was about this baby with Trudy when she went through her pregnancy alone.

I cracked up when I saw Peggy peeking over at Don! Its so annoying how everyone assumes she slept with him when she was his secretary.

I really enjoyed last night's episode, but I have a question. At the begging of the episode a warning came on that there would be nudity. I was momentarily happy, thinking we'd get to see Don's butt or something! :laughing: I didn't see any nudity, did anyone? There is not normally a nudity warning before the show. I was half asleep when I watched it though, I will re-watch tonight and see if I can spot it.

26. FirstTimeMom814

They showed some nude pictures(the girl from Time magazine showed them to Peggy in the elevator), but that's all I can think of.

27. AimeeThomp

Oh yeah, I remember that but it's not like they showed anything. :unknw: That must have been it though.

28. Mama_Kim

Maybe because I was watching with a 16 year old boy in the room (Brian) but there was definitely nudity. It was the photos of the nudes. Bare breasts and all. He sure noticed. :lol:

I thought the episode was good. The drama/tension between Peggy and Pete after the baby announcement was well played.

29. kingeomer

Anyone watch this past week's episode?
    I thought it was better then last weeks. I really feel badly for Sally-having Don and Betty for parents is no picnic.
    If loving the red motorbike Peggy was riding is wrong, I don't want to be right!

1 person likes this.
  30. Mama_Kim

I watched! That Sally is all kinds of trouble, huh? Poor kid. Acting out. Man, that Betty is c-o-l-d. Ice princess! I thought the fake commerical scheme was a riot.

31. FirstTimeMom814

I agree Nancy, this week was much better than last week. Poor Sally. Betty is such a cold b*tch and takes no responsibilty for anything.

32. FirstTimeMom814

Did anyone watch last night? Poor Don. He is on a downward spiral for sure.

33. kingeomer

I just got done watching, it was painful watching Don in action. Though I thought it was a nice touch that they paralleled Don's beginning in the ad world with Jane's cousins...same amount of persistence. This was definitely the Don Draper Lost Weekend episode.

34. Mama_Kim

Great episode this week. Don is sinking further into the abyss. He and Peggy really have such a connection. So sad about Anna though.

Looky who made the cover of RS: A Fine Madness Too bad I can't link the entire article.

35. kingeomer

Great picture of Jon Hamm and the ladies on the front.
    I do agree that he and Peggy have a great connection and I absolutely went :wub: when he clasped her hand at the end of the episode. When he saw Anna saying bye, I had tears in my eye and he broke my heart when he broke down at the news.
    However, I really feel like Duck is supposed to be warning sign to Don that this could be him if he doesn't get his act together soon!