Losing the mucus plug

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by theklafkas, Jul 23, 2008.

1. theklafkas

theklafkas Well-Known Member

I started losing my mucus plug last night. I have a cerclage in place that they will be taking out next Tuesday if I make it till then. My family and I think I will go into labor on my own this weekend, but we will see. I guess my question is how long after you lost your mucus plug did it take for you to go into labor?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I lost my mucous plug at 24 weeks and didn't deliver until I was 28 weeks. I was told that its not an indicator of imminent labor. Good Luck, you are getting close!!

3. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure if it was my mucus plug but I think I lost it the day before I went into active labor. But again I don't know if thats what it was for sure.

4. kimadams

kimadams Active Member

I lost some of mine at around 31 or 32 weeks. I freaked out and called my doctor. The doctor on call
    said it wasn't a big deal, especially if I wasn't having contractions and if it was clear. Mine was like
    firm gel. Sorry! It was a very small amount. This was around 1 a.m. and I could barely sleep the rest of the night, I was so scared!

Then, it wasn't until 35 weeks that more came out when I went to the bathroom. Along with that was
    a very strong odor when I would go to the bathroom. I can't even describe it. I wasn't too concerned,
    as this was the same clear gel like stuff. This happened for a couple of days.
    Then, at 35 weeks and 5 days, I went to bed and woke up with strong cramps. I was up for an hour
    with them and could not go back to sleep. I went to the bathroom and more of the mucuos came out
    and this time it had pink in it. I knew it was time! I woke up my husband and said we're out of here.
    We called the doctor and the same doctor was on call this time and she asked if my water had broke.
    It broke as my husband was on the phone with her. We had the girls that night, well early the next day
    I guess you would say!

That is how it happened with me. I have heard of a lot of people who lose their plug all throughout
    their pregnancy. Apparently it regenerates itself!

Good Luck!

5. kimadams

kimadams Active Member

I forgot to mention that I, too, had a cerclage.
    They ended up taking it out right after the c-section.

6. sv2001302

sv2001302 Well-Known Member

mine came out in one big plop at 35 weeks and 4 days and i started to go into labor at 37 weeks. But then if i hadn't had an emergency csection and they let me go naturally...i think i would of had them in a day or so.

7. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I started losing my mucus plug around 34-35 weeks. It didn't come out in one big clump though, just bits at a time. Some was a little pink and others not. I kept having contrax and dilating a little. By the time my OB took pity on my and scheduled me for an induction because I had been back and forth to L&D so manyt times, I was 39+ weeks and almost 3.5 dilated. I hope it is a sure sign for you though if you are ready to deliver these babies :)

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Started losing mine at 32 weeks and it was brownish tinged. I was contracting every 3 minutes and was dilated 3cm, and I was admitted for PTL. After stopping labor, my water broke at 36 weeks.

9. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I only lost mine with my oldest DD, but after I lost it it was two more weeks.

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I lost mine like a week after my cerclage (17-18 weeks), but it apparently re-generated because I delivered at 31 weeks.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I lost mine a few weeks before delivering.

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

It was 24 hours for me to start contractions after I lost my MP with my older DD and she was born about 14 hours later. With the boys I didnt have a chance too.

13. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

I had a cerclage as well. I lost my mucous plug at 29w1d and delivered my girls at 32w3d. With my singleton pregnancy, I lost my mucous plug at 33w1d and delivered at 35w6d. Both times it was one big glob and streaked with blood. I wouldn't say labor is imminent, either.

14. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

It took me about 30 seconds after losing the plug to go into labor. Hope that doesn't scare you!!

15. Twins08

Twins08 Well-Known Member

I started loosing some of my plug yesterday after the doc checked me for dilation. But I think it's gonna take a LOT to put me into labor, lol! Since then I've been doing yard work, shopping, and eating out. No signs of labor.

16. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

a few hours! But I think that's an exception to the rule