Looking for toy ideas for boys

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Timothy just turned 4, but I'm starting to wonder what sort of toys are out there for boys, and I'm also really wondering what kind of toys are out there that dh and I will approve of.

Dh and I have agreed no guns or video game systems. We do allow some Disney computer games or the paint programs on the computer.

Timothy has no tolerance for anything scary or violent like Superhero's or Transformers. We wouldn't have encouraged the violent anyway. We also don't do thing with double meanings or body humor like Shrek or Spongebob. What kind of programming or characters fits that is for slightly older kids? We really don't watch much tv, but I do like to know what's available.

Are fine motor skills due to improve over the next year? Timothy does like the little Lego's, but only after dh or I puts the set together where he can then play with it. Are there other creative building systems that you like? We have Lincoln Logs, but that's more Sarah's.

What kind of boardgames have you found that are you like? Timothy really likes board games and is doing well learning them. We have Uno, Triomino's, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and The Lady Bug game. He plays all those pretty well.

I guess I just feel clueless when it comes to figuring out what Timothy might like. Sarah is the ultimate girly-girl and that's easy for me. Timothy would rather be at the zoo or singing or pretend cooking. He also likes board games and playing with his toy cars. He also is a huge "helper" child. He wants to be hands on with dh working in the garage or with me cleaning, cooking or gardening. I just don't see things that look like Timothy when I go to the store and look through the toy aisles and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Marissa

2. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Aaron and Connor both loved getting a cleaning kit. It came with a broom, squirt bottles, dust pans, etc.. in a little trolly. Connor also loves his vet kit. It was a little dog that came in a cage and had vet equipment. Playdoh is still big. There is a dog that you fill with playdoh and do stuff with. They will sit at the table for at least 45 minutes playing with playdoh, which is great for their gross motor. (I also make the playdoh, it is better than store bought) Mike and Melissa sell a wonderful wooden pizza maker/puzzle and other ones that are like playing "cook." Actually, we also bought Connor a set of "real" pots and pans since he plays in Joy's kitchen more than she does!

In terms of games, the boys love Hulabalooh. It is interactive and lots of fun for the twins to play together.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

The first thing that I would suggest is a Leapster, while it is a handheld game system, all the games are educational--and a year later my boys are still playing it regularly--despite the fact that some of their friends have Nintendo DS's. Most games my boys really didn't start playing until they were closer to 5, although they did LOVE playing Dominos.

Hope this helps!

4. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

My son was very into his wooden train set at that age (and didn't outgrow it for quite a few years to come).

ETA: Hi-ho Cherrio is a good game for fine motor skills.

5. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Everybody knows about me and my UNO thing... you could get different character cards for him, Thomas, Pooh, Little People.

As for CD ROMs, my 4 year olds have loved Putt Putt games list of them here. All the Humoungous games are great (Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Spy Fox) but Putt Putt is aimed at 3-5 year olds.

His fine motor will probably get better for Lego in the next few years but you may want to get some Duplo, the bigger blocks. Something that popped into my mind when you mentioned fine motor is Straws and Connectors. (we also have some of those Structure Sticks on the link but those are HARD for older kids and are pretty much ignored)

6. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

My boys really love legos now (though at that age they were just like your son: we put the kit together and they destroyed it). They will sit for long periods and build rockets, castles, etc. Along the same line, they love their dinosaurs, stuffed animals and little plastic figures. They set them up and play war or "best friends". I am not entirely clear on that game, but it involves lots and lots of conversations along the lines of, "My parents are dead. Are yours?" "No, my parents are in heaven." "Oh, then they are dead." "Yes." "Do you want to have a sleep over?" "Yeah, but I need to ask my mom." "OK!" They like to play behind the couch and I love sitting there listening in!

Sorry, got off topic there :blush: After not really expressing any interest at all, my boys started drawing like crazy last summer. I ended up buying them sketch books so they could keep all the drawings together, and they will sit and draw hours. So, crayons and art supplies.

My boys love card games. Crazy 8s, go fish. We have little sets made especially for just those games. So they are easier than using regular cards. And they love matching games/memory games (you know the games with the cardboard tiles with images that you turn over and try to find the pairs?).

7. double dribble

double dribble Well-Known Member

My boys really like marble runs. We have a plastic kind like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2970346 and also a wooden kind like this http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/HA1136...E-SHIPPING.html. They really like playing with the wooden one better because you can change the configuration and add different things. HABA makes a lot of fun, creative toys you might want to check out. We also have this pulley http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/item/HA4811...and-Tackle.html ,which believe it or not keeps my boys entertained forever. As for the Legos, have you tried the Lego mosaics? Also, I don't know if Timothy likes dress up stuff, but things like superhero capes, pirate hats, etc. are always a hit around here. As for games, we have a couple of Cranium games and have played a few at friend's houses and those are always fun. Hope that helps some. :)

ETA: Sorry, I can't seem to figure out my links tonight...hope they're working!

8. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Let me second the wooden marble runs! My oldest Joel is seven, but due to neurological issues is more like a 5 year old. He spends HOURS playing with his marbles. It is by far his favorite thing to do. There are some cheapy plastic ones at the stores that are cheap, but they do not hold up and are very frustrating for younger kids. They are so educational and fun!

Aaron and Connor also love hotwheels. The favorite accessory is the one you hang on the back of the door and the cars slide down. They play with that forever!

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have lots of nephews:

I would say any kind of race track, Toys R Us used to have Home Depot tools/gardening, etc not sure if they still do. If he likes singing, how about a toy guitar or keyboard to help him perform. Candyland Castle was fun when my kids played at a friends house. We also got Don't Tickle Elmo which is on the idea of Operation. And the GeoTrax from Fisher Price are good, too.

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks guys. I love the idea of a Marble Run. I will also look into the specialized card games. We already have Hullabaloo, I just forgot that one.

We already have bigger Lego's, he just really likes the littler ones when we're at someone elses house. He also already has a real guitar (actually a ukelele). Sarah has a lap harp and mommy has a piano, clarinet, flute and bassoon. We do pretty well there. Grandma has some dress-up, but he doesn't seem very interested in it. He also has his own real vacuum. It's a sweeper that has a charger. The handle was made up of sections so we made it his height.

I'm happy to hear that our train table still could have a few years left of use in it. Grandma also got them a new Dora kitchen for the xmas and Timothy has been "cooking" up a storm.

It sounds like we're on the right track then. Something that just occurred to me about the fine motor is that Timothy is probably struggling a little because we're thinking he's going to be a lefty (I'm one also). He'll try and use his right hand to do things and then bring his left hand over top to help his right

Thanks,

Marissa

11. ehm

ehm Banned

Marbles and a laundry basket can be fascinating for hours (never heard of the runs before)! Tinkertoys rock! Coloring was huge here too! Dinosaurs (I don't agree with any of the guns, video game systems except V-Smile either), they don't have to be 'evil', our dinosaurs love to play baseball/hockey/basketball etc. Foosball, found a little table top one that we actually keep on the floor!

That's all I can think of now for indoor items, outdoor is soo much easier.......anything that has anything to do with any sport!!

12. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

some of my boys favorite board games are Trouble, Connect 4 (not a traditional board game, but they love it), and I Spy board games (they have character ones, like Dora or Diego, etc.)...