Library books

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mama_dragon, Aug 28, 2016.

1. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

So my kids check out books from the school library but they are not allowed to read the books at school during quiet reading time. Both boys are a bit unhappy about this. They were excited to finally get to check out books at school and are very disappointed they can't read the books at school. They are allowed to bring them home. For my two they already have tons of books to read at home plus we go to the public library almost every week. So the book pretty much stay in the backpack completely forgotten. The teachers want them to keep the books in the backpack so they are not forgotten on library day (which changes). So what is the point?

I haven't asked the reason why from the teachers yet. I am already on the "parent from hell" list.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think that is ridiculous! At my kids school, they take books out of the school library and they are allowed to bring the books home and can read them during quiet time at school as well.

3. mama_dragon

They are not allowed to bring books from home to read at school either.

4. kingeomer

Oh that is crazy! I would be upset about that.

5. mama_dragon

I was thinking it was a bit crazy but this is our first year in public school.

6. kingeomer

I would be curious what other parents at your school have to say about this. It seems odd to me.

7. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

It seems to me that nowadays it is not necessary to go to the library to get a book to read. You can easily use this convenient resource with e books https://fb2bookfree.com/ and read the necessary literature for free. In my opinion, this is an excellent solution. And you can save a lot of time. I wish you all a pleasant reading.

8. Lanoyolar

Lanoyolar New Member

These restrictions are so weird. Didn't they encourage kids to ditch reading? Thank god my school wasn't like that. There were tons of different books at the library, and I spent an enormous amount of time reading. But honestly speaking, not because it was allowed to us to do so, it was because I didn't have extra space for books in my backpack to keep them there and bring home. I had a pretty small bag then; even my textbooks and some essentials hardly fitted in. Later, I found a spacious one at Backpacks Global, and it became easier for me. I can't imagine what would have been if my school had restrictions of that kind.