Kids kitchens

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MusicalAli, Nov 27, 2006.

1. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

My boys love playing with the kitchen set at daycare and at this indoor play ground we go to. I would love to get them something like that but DH is adamant against it because they are boys. Is it really that big a deal? THey just like to open and close the doors and things.

2. MusicalAli

My boys love playing with the kitchen set at daycare and at this indoor play ground we go to. I would love to get them something like that but DH is adamant against it because they are boys. Is it really that big a deal? THey just like to open and close the doors and things.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I think a man should know his way around a kitchen! I hate stereotypes! [​IMG] I think Clayton loves the play kitchens more than Audrey! I don't think it is a big deal. It's not as if you are putting them in dresses and playing dress up! [​IMG]

4. I bought one for my twins when they were 2 and they both love it. It is now outside in their playhouse and they love it. My ds goes in it all the time to fix me something to eat and brings it to me (pretend play of course). They are now into the vacuum, broom, mop, cleaning period. I think it is good for a boy to have those things too. cooking and cleaning is not just for girls anymore....

5. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

Considering my husband does most of the cooking in our house, I think boys and kitchens are a great mix! [​IMG]

Honestly I think the idea that play kitchens are just for girls is just ridiculously sexist, and IMHO it's especially crazy since you already know your boys have fun playing with them. Ugh...I gotta say I would really not view it favorably if my husband had some silly idea like that. Lots of the kitchens they make now are quite gender neutral, not all pink and purple frilly.

Besides...tell your husband that they'll grow up to be the next Bobby Flay/Jamie Oliver/Emeril/Wolfgang/insert-other-celebrity-chef-name-here and will support you in lavish style in 25-30 years or so. That play kitchen could really pay off!! [​IMG]

6. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Does your husband use the kitchen in your house? Does that make him any less of a man? Come on! It is a TOY to play with and mimic what they see their parents doing. That's how kids learn. We're getting a kitchen for our three kids for Christmas and we have (GASP!) 2 boys and 1 girl. I'm sorry, but your hubby needs to get over it! [​IMG]

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I don't think a toy kitchen is a "girl" thing. I remember having one as a kid and my brother played with it too. There are so many famous chefs that men, maybe tell him that. My girls love opening and closing things, standing at something their level, taking things in and out of containers, that's all it is, doesn't really matter that it's a kitchen.

8. JodiF

JodiF Well-Known Member

MY 2 1/2 YR OLD TWIN BOYS LOVE TO PLAY WITH FOOD AND PRETEND TO COOK. I JUST ORDERED THEM A PLAY KITCHEN FOR CHRISTMAS AND KNOW IT WILL BE THEIR FAVORITE PRESENT. HEY I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COOK!!!

9. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My boys got a Little Tikes kitchen when they were 2. We just sold it a few weeks ago. They enjoyed it for a while (they LOVE cooking!), but lately have been more apt to "fix" it with their play tools than to pretend to cook, so Brady is asking Santa for a tool bench, and we needed to make space for it.

They did have a blast with my niece's new kitchen set from Target a few weeks ago. It's the wooden/metal one that I think is a Target exclusive. It comes with metal tools and bowls, and my boys looked like little experts whisking various items in the mixing bowls. I think they liked it so much because everything looked and felt so authentic.

10. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I got my girls a play kitchen on one side and a grill on the other. Maybe your husband won't mind so much if it has a grill on it too, since that is manly. Even though I do the grilling in our house.

11. MusicalAli

I agree he neds to get over it.

12. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

We got one when our boys were 2. We have the one with the grill on the outside so it is very neutral.

However, I have to say I am not one to give in to stereotypes considering my boys are getting the Dora Castle for Christmas.

13. mom i am

mom i am Well-Known Member

I got the wooden blue one from Target for E&J on their 3rd Birthday. They had so much fun with it but I wish they had it much earlier because they stopped playing with it all of a sudden and have no interest in it. If it is not vehicles, building materials, art materials, books, tools, educational toys and games, have dirt, mud or sand involved...they are not interested in it. [​IMG]

14. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

quote:
    I think a man should know his way around a kitchen!

I agree...although, my DH has still to find his way to the kitchen in the 9 years we've been together....lol!!!

I agree with Becky02. My girls are getting that kitchen that she mentioned from TRU with the kitchen in the front and on the back is the grill and bench set-up. I think that would be perfect for boys! And, Becky, I do all the grilling at my house too! For Father's Day I bought DH a grill set of tools and a grill cover. Who covered the grill...ME! Who uses the grill set...ME! I thought maybe he would get the hint [​IMG] LOL!

Here is the link to that kitchen.

15. * Dana *

* Dana * Well-Known Member

We have the wooden kitchen from Target. It is gender neutral and mine both LOVE it. It's also only about $80 compared to some of the other pricier kitchens. I say go for it!!! A man who cooks is extremely sexy in my opinion [​IMG]

Here is the Target kitchen link:
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B000BKEMTO

That is a slightly different one than we have but it looks very similar.

-Dana

16. * Dana *

* Dana * Well-Known Member