Kids and their funny names for pets

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Utopia122, May 2, 2010.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many of us have pets with weird names because we've let our children name them. At this age, I have no idea where they get this stuff!

We have a Minnie...50+lb dog (definitely NOT mini)
    we had a Lucifer and Dinosaur (both cats)
    Now we have Whitey...this cat is almost entirely black. When my DH's friend asked them why they didn't name it Blackey..they laughed at him like he was crazy!
    It just keeps getting funnier and funnier everytime we get a new pet.

Surely we're not the only ones...do any of you have crazy pet names because of your children?

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

My girls lack creativity so their names are all very boring...

We have Fred the Fish

Rosebud the dog who was named after the Buddy movies, although not a girl and looks nothing like a Golden Retriever.

The bunny's name was bunny :blush:

That is about as exciting as it gets in our house. :laughing:

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our pets were all named pre-children, but some of their toys are crazy.

Just recently I bought them new backpack/leashes that are dogs and Royce named his "Geesin" Alice's is "Dargba".

Their toys that they sleep with at night are "Fishies", I know I've told this story before but its funny, so the three of us were in BRU when I picked the stuffed animals up (yellow and green monster dolls). Alice started calling it a "Fishy" immediately, but it sounded like "feces". So I was mimicking her and calling it "feces" too. "Alice, do you like Feces?" "Royce, get the Feces out of your mouth." After I got some weird looks I realized what I was saying. :lol:

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We have a dog named booger and I can't blame it on the kids. :pardon:

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have three cats, all who have normal names but crazy nicknames thanks to DH (and now that is what the kids call them too)...
    Mia, our black cat, DH calls her Mr. Stinky...kids call her Stinky
    Cady, our grey cat, DH calls her Cady Bell (after Katie Bell in the Harry Potter books)..kids call her the same
    Izzy, our calico, DH calls her Izzles and so does the kids.

My son has some weird names for his stuffed animals. His My Pal Scout is called "Sockie" and he has two stuffed dogs that he sleeps with that he calls his "Snuggie" Dogs.

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Speaking of funny names for stuffed animals....Cooper named his lovey "Rashee". Not sure where in the heck that one came from!

7. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

No pets, but some other household names...

When I first started letting the girls use mouth-wash, I would tell them "Rinse, now spit!" well, afte saying this a few times to get the point across to them of how to do it, they now call it 'Rinse and spit' and my son (22 months) just calls it 'spit'. LOL :)

As recently as today, my son has renamed the common cookie 'Hot'. Becuase we made cookies today,and when they were fresh out of the oven and all 3 kids were leaning over the cookie sheet, I told them, "we can't eat them yet, they're still hot" and a couple of minutes later had to shout to them, "Don't touch, they're HOT!" So, now he got mad at dinner-time when we would not give him a 'hot' before he ate his food, and that we were confused as to what the heck he was even talking about! LOL

Oh, but he does call our dog 'Mokeeee'. His name is Smokee. The girls used to just call him 'Smoke' before they could say his name properly. :)

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

our older cat's name is Boo (born on Halloween) and Tony and I have taken to calling him Booza - so now the kids do too...we got a new kitten this weekend and his name is George because he climbs like a monkey...