keeping babies warm on a cold night?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jacook82, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jacook82

jacook82 Active Member

My twins are 10 months old. We live in snowy and cold upstate New york where sometimes the temps go down below zero. We have a furnace but it only goes to the upstairs. We haven't yet built a way to get the heat to travel upstairs where we all sleep.

i know i sleep fine with just regular pj pants, socks, and t shirt with a blanket. but i dont give my babies a blanket, and i wont until they are old enough. but i dress them in those thin two piece pj's that are snug that you can get at walmart or whereever. than i put them in a larger blanket sleeper that is fleece. i was thinking maybe a just a long sleeve onesie and blanket sleeper may be good for days that are not below zero.

i keep the temp in the house at 70 at night so it can warm up a bit and i run space heater in the evening in the room but turn it off at night for fear of fires.

should i be bundling up more? or less? i am so paranoid when it comes to my babies and being too warm or too cold.

thanks =)

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always checked their cheeks, and their hands. If they were cold, then I added blankets. A regular cotton blanket, or better a crotched or woven blanket won't suffocate them, they can breathe through them if they get it over their face.

I think if they house is 65-70 jammies and the sleeper might be warm enough. I keep my house cool (63 at night) and used to put jammies, sleep sack and a blanket on my kiddo's.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We keep our house at 57 at night (we did turn it up to 64 the first winter when the babies were <6 months). I always dressed them in a heavyweight blanket sleeper with a fleece sleep sack on top, and they seemed fine. If it was below zero outside and/or the wind was howling through the drafty windows, I would add an undershirt below the sleeper.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I live in Ottawa, Canada and it gets cold. My girls room (which was my sons when he was a baby) is over the garage so it's always cooler than the rest of the house. I always used heavy fleece sleepers and winter weight sleep sacs, if it was really cold I would put a onsie on under the PJs. They were always nice and warm. I used Grobags and they come with a dressing guide based on the sleep sac weight you were using and the temperature of the room which I found really helpful. It's on their website if you want to take a look at it.

5. jacook82

jacook82 Active Member

thanks Everyone for your replies. It seems one of my boys is always warmer, course he is bigger, much bigger =)..and put him in long sleeve onesie and a blanket sleeper and when he woke this morning he was warm. The other is like me, hands and feet cold often. So I keep him nice and cozy in pj's and blanket sleeper. I was thinking of getting sleep sack by halo this weekend. They are on clearance anyway. =)

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Don't forget socks if his feet are cold. Even if he's wearing footie jammies, socks can help trap that heat in too :)

7. jacook82

jacook82 Active Member

thanks i do that too=)