IUGR

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I posted this over in the health issues forum too, but thought I might get more answers here.

Does anyone else have one twin with IUGR? Mine is due to the TTTS, but I just wondered what everyone's experiences were. Hopefully Dr. Quintero can fix this for us on Tuesday!

2. Mommy2PJ

I posted this over in the health issues forum too, but thought I might get more answers here.

Does anyone else have one twin with IUGR? Mine is due to the TTTS, but I just wondered what everyone's experiences were. Hopefully Dr. Quintero can fix this for us on Tuesday!

3. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Yup, our Baby B is tiny - 5th percentile on Wed at 32 weeks and only 2p10oz. Ours is due to cord blood flow issues.
    There's really nothing we can do about it but give birth, my peri/OB said. But for now we're continuing the pregnancy unless things take another turn for the worse.
    From the research I've been able to do, IUGR has it's own set of problems, but the gestation is still a bigger factor than weight. In other words, a tiny 35 weeker is much better off than an avg 30 weeker, KWIM?
    Good luck in FL - I've followed your posts and am really praying for a successful surgery!

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boy/baby B (i wonder if all IUGRs are the B babies..?) is IUGR - my dr. think it's a placental issue, but I'm having a doppler study on Dec 5th to make sure there isn't a cord issue.

At our 30 week appointment he weighed in 2 pound 11 ounces and his sister is 4 pounds! He has continued to grow since being diagnosed at my 25 week appointment so my dr. will keep me pregnant as long as he grows. We get growth u/s every two weeks.

IUGR is a general diagnosis which basically means your baby is small for their gestional age - the causes are varied. We have ruled out all genetic causes...and if the cord study doesn't show anything, we probably won't know until he is born. The Dr. already said both placentas will go to pathology after they are born.

I"m hoping that if i make it to 37 weeks, he'll be over 5 pounds and avoid NICU time.

Miriam

5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Well-Known Member

Hi. My dd had IUGR and was born at 3 pounds 15 and her sister was 6 pounds 1. They were born at 36 weeks and both were super healthy. No NICU time!! The nurses said that they were theoretically allowed to leave the hospital before I was. But they also said that Carys was the smallest baby they have ever kept at the hospital because most of them were sent to a bigger hospital with a better NICU.

6. Mommy2PJ

Thanks ladies... it's so nice to be able to hear others' stories! I'm driving myself nuts waiting for my surgery. At least tomorrow will be busy airlining to FL with 10 month old DS with us! And my mom will be there when we get there, I haven't seen her for months (DH is military)!

Then on Monday, we have a really extensive pre-op u/s so at least by monday morning I'll feel like I'm doing something to help!

7. ballerina

ballerina New Member

HI !

Welcome to Tampa. I have been going to Dr. Quintero's office
    since September. Our boys had discordance in the levels of the amniotic fluid. Thanks to God, they got better quickly and our boys are doing fine, no TTTS. I have to say that I really like Dr. Quintero, he is very good doctor and also takes time to talk to the patients. So you will be in good hands.
    I actually have my next sonogram in his office early on monday morning, so maybe we'll meet there... have a safe trip!

ballerina and the boys ( 30 weeks)

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Our girls were TTTS babies and the Baby B was IUGR. She was our donor baby and also had a 2-vessel umbilical cord. When the girls were born at 35.3 weeks, she was 3 lbs 15 oz but healthy. She joined her sister in the NICU for a few hours and then was sent to the Special Care Nursery just to prove she could eat and grow before she came home. While Ainsley (larger baby) was on a ventilator in the NICU, Sierra (smaller baby) was just in a regular bassinett like any other baby in the nursery. She was by far the smallest one there and came home before most of the other kids, including her sister.

9. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Our baby A Madison had severe IUGR, she was less than the 3rd percentile for a LONG time. At 32 weeks when they were born she was 2 lbs 12 oz and BRooke was 3 lbs 12 oz. At delivery they saw that Madisons umbilical cord was off to the side instead of where it should have been placed...same thing happened with my ds too (a singleton)