IUGR one di/di twin

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by doreydo, Sep 4, 2010.

1. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

I'm just devastated. 3 weeks ago at the ultrasound twin B was measuring smaller than twin A, but I was told all was normal. I went Friday for another U/S and what the doc thought was a girl was now a boy and he was measuring too small. The doc wanted to do an amniocentesis right then. So, we did the amnio and now I'm freaked out. The baby was so active, both of them are. It's still very early 22 weeks for such a big growth discordance. I think now twin A is 1.2 pounds and B is only 11oz. I can't stop crying. My husband I don't think understands the severity of it and frankly he just doesn't have the same bond with the babies. I'm just so attached to both of them.

I need to hear stories good and bad of people who have been in my situation. I want to have hope. I really do.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I dont have any experience, but I am thinking of you. Just keep in mind that ultrasounds are educates guesses and can be off by about a pound.

3. irrelevancy

irrelevancy Well-Known Member

I don't really have any experience with it either, since I'm about as far along as you, but my babies measured one smaller than the other at our last ultrasound and my midwife isn't concerned. Try not to stress, just keep doing your best to take care of yourself and nourish those babies.

4. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of you and praying for your babies.
    Try to stay positive and hopeful if you can ( I know, much easier said then done) the power of a positive mind and attitude is amazing.

Lots of hugs,
    Melissa

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My jessy was an iugr baby. Do they think something is wrong with him? Jessy had a two vessel cord and absent flow. Has he been growing slowly? We didn't know it was twins till 24 weeks. By that point there was a significant difference. Jessy was almost 2 lbs smaller at birth. Did they advise you on anything to help with growth( laying on your side, drinking ensure)? We had twice weekly u/s to make sure they were growing but jessy only grew 3 oz a week. U/s measures can be up to a lb off so the gap could be narrower. I will answer any questions no matter how silly. I know how it feels

6. SparksSC

SparksSC Member

We're going through this right now. Di/di, Baby a is 4# and the other is 6-5#. Everything is totally normal except the weight. My wife is on 3x per week monitoring and is at 37 weeks. One thing to remember is that US weights are not exact so they could be lots closer in weight than it reads. Also we've seen growth spurts from each kid at different rates. Remember that these are two separate pregnancies so some variation should be normal.

It's too bad that the OB didn't do more to reassure you that things are OK. We've had no amnio and our docs are not worried because everything looks normal and the babies both appear very healthy.

It's stressful but don't get too freaked out (<---male talking. Haha)

7. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Twinxes- I asked about the cord and the placenta but they say all is fine. It is reassuring to know Jesse was ok at birth and that he also was only gaining 3 oz a week, although I think mine isn't doing that well yet. He IS very active which is totally reassuring!

Sparks-I think that the concern is that the discordance has started so early. I'll try not to get freaked out. The dad isn't as freaked out, but for sure I am!!

Thank you all for your replies and prayers. We need them!

8. TwinxesMom

Jesslyn was never very active so I do hope that yours being active is a good sign. Jesslyn does have some health problems but it's a chicken and the egg problem we don't know which came first.

9. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Twinxes..I'm preparing myself for the worst, but hoping for the best. Thank you for the kind words and all the best wishes for you and jesslyn and your other Twinkie.

10. TwinxesMom

That's all we can do. I had the girls u/s book out this afternoon and at 24 weeks jazzlyn weighted 1lbs 8oz and jesslyn weighted 1lb 3oz

11. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Mine were mono/di, but my Eve is an IUGR survivor, caused by a velamentous cord insertion. The girls were born due to it as a matter of fact. She was only 1#15oz at birth at 29w6d. I know it's frightening but you're one step ahead of the game just by knowing it's an issue. This is the time for you to be a major advocate for your child. You need, at the very least, weekly Doppler monitoring. If your OB won't do it, find someone who will.

She is 17 months old now and has absolutely zero residual effects of it, outside of being tiny (STILL not on the growth chart but following her own healthy curve).

I hope to hear some good updates from you as you progress. Advocate, advocate, advocate!

12. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

How are you doing doreydo? And when will you hear back from the dr regarding your amino results? Hang in there!

13. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Thank you for your stories they are giving me hope and helping me get from visit to visit without worrying myself silly. The amnio results came back yesterday and aside from the in utero sex change (hehe) to a boy, the FISH results show no down syndrome, trisomy 18 or 13. I'm waiting for the final results (another week or so). So now I'm just trying to do what I can to fatten him up. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for the support!

14. morgan57

morgan57 Well-Known Member

one of my twins had iugr. both had marginal cord insertions but one had a two vessel cord. as a result, his growth suffered and he started showing signs of a growth lag as early as 22 weeks. i went on bedrest and tried to make it week by week. i surprised the doctors and made it to 34 weeks. he was only 3lb5oz, 3rd (or less) percentile. he is still skinny...at 9 months (actual) he is about 16lbs (his bro is about 19lbs) but he is the sweetest baby there is! he has had some motor delays related to reflux and some transient stiffness in his trunk, legs and he gets PT. but he is moving along nicely and we couldn't love him any more!

good luck. feel free to contact me for any support or questions!

15. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Well, my OB and FMFs, decided to take me out of work to see if this helps the little guy to grow. We'll see!