Issues falling asleep

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Oct 15, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

is it normal for a LO to have problems falling asleep? one of my LO's needs to be held in order to fall asleep (every now and again he can fall asleep in his swing). once he's in your arms he squirms, makes sounds and cant fall asleep. i stand up, shake him up and down and bit and after some time, he falls asleep. is this normal or could osmething be wrong.

2. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to me that something is wrong with this! Shaking has the magic of making babies fall asleep. Same as when they are in the car. Could be that your baby is used to this now that it became part of his sleeping routine.

3. newtothis

i feel like he literally freaks out and moves around like crazy (squirms) until he falls asleep.

4. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

One of my girls will thrash her legs about when she is about to fall asleep. Pretty wierd when I first saw/heard this, but now know she is almost asleep when she starts to do it.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I dont think I would call needing to be held a "problem" falling asleep. At 4 months they still need lots of help self soothing. As they mature, they will learn to do it on their own.

6. newtothis

ok, thank you.
    we just always get so frustrated with him and i feel horrible. i then feel bad for him bc he cant fall asleep.
    i cant WAIT for him to be able to self-soothe!!!

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep what she said, they are still pretty young and need help soothing to sleep, give it a few more months and they'll start to learn how to self sooth. Paci's, white noise and lullabies all worked wonders to help my kids go to sleep on their own.