is this ppd?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amazedits2, Nov 23, 2006.

1. amazedits2

amazedits2 Well-Known Member

Hi there. I think it is awesome that we have all become so aware of ppd and its devastating effects and how getting help can make such a difference to everyone.

That being said, I don't know if what I am feeling is ppd or if I just don't like being a SAHM. (Wow! do I ever have the "guilts" typing that!) I wake up every morning with a really deep sigh about how the day is going to go - the same as yesterday! The boys are on a pretty tight schedule (of their own making) and if we go out, it gets all screwed up and then they don't nap and then they are overtired and cranky and I have to keep them entertained until time for their next nap. I feel like I am watching the clock all day waiting for them to need to go to sleep again.

They are awesome and learning to crawl and all that fun stuff, but I just feel most days like I am putting in time. I try really hard to only smile and laugh when I talk to them so they won't know....But it is really hard to stay "up" when I just feel so blah!

Am I just a bad mom and should go back to work immediately and let someone who likes kids raise my children?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Tammy

2. amazedits2

amazedits2 Well-Known Member

Hi there. I think it is awesome that we have all become so aware of ppd and its devastating effects and how getting help can make such a difference to everyone.

That being said, I don't know if what I am feeling is ppd or if I just don't like being a SAHM. (Wow! do I ever have the "guilts" typing that!) I wake up every morning with a really deep sigh about how the day is going to go - the same as yesterday! The boys are on a pretty tight schedule (of their own making) and if we go out, it gets all screwed up and then they don't nap and then they are overtired and cranky and I have to keep them entertained until time for their next nap. I feel like I am watching the clock all day waiting for them to need to go to sleep again.

They are awesome and learning to crawl and all that fun stuff, but I just feel most days like I am putting in time. I try really hard to only smile and laugh when I talk to them so they won't know....But it is really hard to stay "up" when I just feel so blah!

Am I just a bad mom and should go back to work immediately and let someone who likes kids raise my children?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Tammy

3. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

It's probably a good idea to give your family doctor a call. PPD can come on anywhere from the first few weeks after birth through the first year. It is easily treatable...
    Lindy,
    Mom to Stephanie and her twins
    c/s 11/29/06

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

quote:

Oh Tammy, no, no, no, you are NOT a bad mom.

I think that maybe you are stuck in a boring routine, and as much as you may hate to break it, you may need to for your own sanity. It's crazy, but for me, DAYS and DAYS go by, until I realize that I have not left the house, and barely even stepped outside! It's an easy trap to fall into. When I do leave, things get all screwy as far as schedules and housework, but you do get caught up.

That being said....I have chronic depression, and if you at all think that it is PPD, make an appointment to at least speak to your doctor, and let them help you figure it out. [​IMG]

5. emmyshannon

emmyshannon Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Please don't feel like you are a bad mommy. You are doing a great job.

My days are very routine, I catch myself watching the clock for the next part of the "schedule". I have found myself finding excuses to go out. Even to just walk around Target with my boys or to go the post office. Just a little car ride helps me a lot.

I have also felt that I need to entertain all the time. I am know finding that they need quiet time. I feel bad when they are in their cribs just hanging out, but I know it is good for them and me.

I would give a call to your dr and express your concerns. It always helps to talk to someone.

6. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Tammy, you are in no way a bad mom! I think you are right to decide to see someone and to realize that you might need some help. But don't sell yourself short either! I known its hard to break your children's schedules (God knows I hate it) but I realize that I spend too much time at home doing the same old same old.

I found that with my first child I got very depressed at the begining because my life changed too much too quickly and I also spent too much time at home. I found that even though my DS would be cranky etc if we went out, eventually he started to get used to it and it brought me out of my funk.

This time around, I have already started taking the boys more places to avoid this problem. They are cranky and go off schedule but it will all work out in the end, cauz I did the first time around. Also I know the weather is getting worse now that winter is almost upon us, so I guess walks outside are kind of out of the question. But there is mall, and obviously Walmart type stores, grocery shopping. And you can find some playgroups or mother's groups, not to mention friends and family visiting. Do you have any friends who are SAHMs???

Here's a hug for now [​IMG]

7. minnieinafrica

minnieinafrica Well-Known Member

It sounds like you need a break in the routine, but the kids don't. Is there anyway to get a sitter for a just a few hours 1-2 times a week to get out of the house, maybe exercise, do a few errands?
    Melissa

8. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

quote:

Oh no, sweetheart, you aren't a bad mom! Being a SAHM is pretty hard at first. Your life has just changed very drastically! You went from working to having 2 babies and staying home all day! That's tough! I think what pp said about getting a sitter for a few hours a week would really help! But if you feel detached or just really "numb" inside then it could very well be ppd, then do call your doc right away!