Is it possible to child proof the dishwasher?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sara26, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

My girls keep pushing the buttons the dishwasher. It's driving me nuts - my dishes are nice and clean and dry and then they hit the button and everything is soaking wet again! Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know of a solution?

TIA :)

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Not really a solution, but my girls' fascination with this seems to come & go. They are mostly only interested in it when I'm standing right there loading it or something, so I just keep swatting their hands away. But I think some newer dishwashers do have some child of a child safety setting (where none of the buttons do anything) -- I just haven't been quite motivated enough to figure it out.

3. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My son won't leave it alone. He either won't stop pushing the buttons, he turns the knob to turn it on, or plays with the lock to keep it closed (but thankfully he doesn't play with tat one to often). The only thing I do is keep it unlocked so no matter what button he pushes or if he turns the knob it won't turn on. Every now and then I will hear him turnining it on but I get therre quick enough where my dishes haven't gotten to wet.

Good luck with finding something that works.

4. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becky02 @ Dec 20 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]542055[/snapback]
    The only thing I do is keep it unlocked so no matter what button he pushes or if he turns the knob it won't turn on.

I was going to suggest this too. Just open it enough so that it looks like it's closed, but not actually clicked shut.

If they keep trying to pull it open, use a "MULTIPURPOSE APPLIANCE LATCH" (Target/Walmart both sell them for about $2).

When you mount it, do it with the door closed, but ajar so you can 'lock' it while it's not clicked shut.

5. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

Mine has a button lock on it. Check your manual to see if yours has that function! Love it. We also used an appliance latch as well!

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Mine do it too. I have even tried leaving it open where it isn't clicked, but they figure that out, and close it, LOL Kids are too smart.

7. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

We literally unplugged the dishwasher for a year and half so they wouldn't destroy the dishwasher. Yes, that meant we had to do them by hand! BUT, we've got it hooked up again, and we found out that the knob that turns can be pulled off, so they can't twist it through the cycles. They push the buttons, but they cycle turning knob is what was going to destroy it.

Good luck!

Duct tape each evening might work?

8. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

So I tried just leaving it open, but they can push it shut. So I duct taped a little wooden block onto the inside of the ledge on the top of the door, and this seems to have fixed the problem! I just untape it when I want to run the dishwasher. I guess now I just need to make sure I put the block in after the cycle is over to prevent wet dishes!

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Crystal74

Crystal74 Well-Known Member

Check with the manufacturer and see if there is a lock function. Some of them have a combination of buttons you can push to lock them.

10. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

When I had that problem, my mom told me to look at the labels on the inside top of the door (you have to open the door to see these labels) and see if there are instructions for locking the buttons. She was right! They did have instructions for locking the buttons (I have to hold the "no heat dry" button down for five seconds).

11. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I love it... duct tape and a wooden block... my kind of childproofing! Glad it's working for you.

I can lock the buttons on mine and they are locked all of the time now but keeping the door closed is impossible. They love to spin those sprayer arms and they'll occasionally find the lower rack is empty so they'll pull it out and ride it like a go-cart! :angry: We're working hard now on directing their efforts toward evaluating whether the dishes are clean or dirty when they look inside, putting their own dirty plates & silverware in (they do better than their daddy!), and helping me unload the clean dishes (I've taught them to pat anything glass that is next to be unloaded rather than trying to hand it to me).

12. TwinMom205

TwinMom205 Well-Known Member

I bought a dishwasher with a child lock on it. When on, none of the buttons work so the twins can push and nothing happens. :)