Is 13 old enough

Discussion in 'General' started by Donita, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

for shaving? Heather would like to start, but isn't all that concerned. But Megan has Vitiligo. So not only is more attention being drawn to her legs, but she is more self conscious and her dark hairs are more noticeable in the white places. So for those reasons, I'm considering teaching them to shave their legs, even though I don't think they're old enough.

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I think I started at about that age. Of course, I first did it at sleep away camp, because "all the girls" were doing it too. So, once I started, my mom couldn't make me stop.

3. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

I don't have teenagers but thought I would pop in and give my two cents. I would let them. I was super self-conscious of my leg hair as a kid (from about 11 on) and still remember the awful feeling of being super self-conscious. No one even bugged me about them, but it really bugged me. Shaving my legs was a much bigger deal before I was allowed to do it, than after - if that makes any sense.

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I think I was around that age. I am lucky, I have blond body hair, otherwise, I might have wanted to start at 12.

5. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

We let our dd start last week. She is 12. I shaved for her the first time, since she was really nervous. The other times i have been in with her to make sure she's doing it right and is comfortable with it. She feels alot better now that no one see's her "hairy legs".

Its hard facing the fact our little girls are becoming young ladies :(

6. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

QUOTE(walker006 @ Sep 7 2008, 01:57 PM) [snapback]967838[/snapback]
    We let our dd start last week. She is 12. I shaved for her the first time, since she was really nervous. The other times i have been in with her to make sure she's doing it right and is comfortable with it. She feels alot better now that no one see's her "hairy legs".

Its hard facing the fact our little girls are becoming young ladies :(
    Yes it is.

I think I'll show them how before their first cross country meet.

7. baby2hughes

baby2hughes Well-Known Member

I don't know if they still make them but my mom got my sister and I electric razors since she didn't want us using the razor blade kind. It came in a little kit. I think I was 12 or 13. Also think they were a Christmas gift. If you feel uncomfortable about razor blades you could look for an electric kind or battery (if they make them).

8. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Thanks! I had not thought about electric razors. I'll give that some consideration now too.

9. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I don't have an age in my head that I will let DD do her legs, though it is coming very soon (she turned 11 this summer). She is blessed <_< to have very dark hairy legs like me - poor thing. She has been asking me for a few months and I don't blame her. We have discussed options and how once you start that'll be it.

We started waxing her eyebrows (only the center) 3+ months ago as they were bothering her a lot.

When we start her legs, we will wax.

10. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

You know, I've never waxed anything. Where do you even get the stuff to do this? Or do you have to have it done?

11. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I use an electric razor you can use in the shower. I have to shave more often than with a regular razor and if I really need them super smooth I will use a regular one, but for quick shaves it works great. I will probably do that with Joy so I don't worry about her cutting herself. (oh man that brings back memories of walking out of the bathroom with little pieces of toilet paper stuck to my legs!)

12. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

I taught Char when she was 11! She was already menstruating by then and her leg hair was getting worse. I just didn't want her to try it herself and cut herself. I always try to keep everything out in the open. I didn't think she was old enough either but I got over it.

eta:she has also been getting her eyebrows waxed for a couple years now.

13. berebunch31

berebunch31 Well-Known Member

I started when I was in 6th grade. As a former middle school teacher, I would say that, by 8th grade, almost all of the girls were shaving their legs.

14. Zibeline

Zibeline Well-Known Member

My mother didn't let me shave until I was 16 and I still had to "obliged" her to let me do that... Why ? because when she was my age, girls of her school didn't care (and because the hairs grow much darker when you shave)! But when I was in high school, I suffered a lot and was very ashame ! Let's say I had my first period when I was 11... so you can imagined easily the rest... puberty is not the best moment of a life...

I'm blond... so it's not as if you could see that I hadn't sahve clearly but other kids used to laugh at me for that.

So, IMO, 13 is old enough... if she cares, but most girls care about their apperance !

15. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. I really don't remember when I started shaving.. but I too remember raking the skin on my shins off. :laughing:

16. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

My oldest started shaving her legs a year ago. Around her 11th b'day. She has a pink electric razor that I found in target. She had been begging to do it for a few months before I finally let her. Now that it isn't a big deal, she will only do it if she is going to wear something that shows her legs. She isn't the most coordinated child, so I figured the electric razor would save me on band aids and spare her some embarrassment.
    I get my eyebrows waxed and she is starting to show interest in doing that. I'm just glad she wants to talk about wanting to do this stuff instead of just going to friends and doing it like some of the girls in her class.

17. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

Both of my girls started shaving in 5th grade. I didn't realize they were such pioneers! They are always the last in their class to get to do something (make-up, ear piercing, etc). Around here 5th grade is when you start getting teased for hairy legs.

18. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Sep 8 2008, 12:47 AM) [snapback]968203[/snapback]
    You know, I've never waxed anything. Where do you even get the stuff to do this? Or do you have to have it done?

For her eyebrows I just buy it from Walmart. You can get pre-waxed strips if you prefer. Great for that small little area on her. For legs I have a pot of wax I got from my cousin (used to run her own business).

I highly recommend waxing.

19. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

I just started letting my 12 year old start shaving. I guess I waited this long (she just started JR. High), because she is a little immature, and I didn't trust her with a razor. Didn't need gouges in the legs! She said the other girls made fun of her, so she wanted to start. I don't want her made fun of so I taught her how the other day.

20. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so. I started shaving when I was 13 maybe closer to 14 I had very light body hair still do. My SD, however, has dark hair and her leg hair is pretty dark and very apparent. She is starting 5th grade in a new school tomorrow and I know it is just a matter of time before she asks but she will only be 11 in Jan. and IMO too immature to use a razor. She has a dry one for her underarms and I think by next year when she is in 6th grade (Jr. High) I may have to consider it but a year makes a big difference in maturity so we will see.

21. stinkyhobo10

stinkyhobo10 Well-Known Member

I started shaving at the end of 6th grade. So that made me 12. My twin though started shaving more towards the middle of 6th grade. All of our freinds were shaving so it wasn't a big deal. I say anywhere from 11-13 is an okay time to start.

22. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

This is weird to say, but I'm glad I sneaked in here (is sneaked a word?). I was so embarrased as a middle schooler when all of my friends were shaving and my mom wouldn't let me. I have often wondered what my stance would be for my girls and how old they would need to be before shaving. I have noticed that by 7th grade, most if not all girls are shaving. I, personally, think 13 is old enough, and will probably let mine start by the 7th grade, which will be around 12 or 13.

23. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started in 6th grade, i was probably 11. I didn't really need to, but all the other girls were doing it, so my parents let me. It was before I got my period (which was when i was 12 1/2.)

24. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

started at...oh I think 12 even.

25. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

It must not be as important to them as they thought. We don't have time during the week so I keep saying "this weekend". This weekend rolls around and neither of them say anything and I forget. Megan asked yesterday (again) and again I said "this weekend" :laughing:

26. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

We went to the $$ store last night and bought razors and shaving cream, went home and learned to shave. Nobody needed any bandaids!!

27. keejaylove

keejaylove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Donita @ Oct 3 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]1010475[/snapback]
    We went to the $$ store last night and bought razors and shaving cream, went home and learned to shave. Nobody needed any bandaids!!

I will always remember when my mom helped me shave for the first time... i was 12... in 6th grade... it was so weird feeling my legs with no hair on them... and gave me something to be excited about sinec i still wasn't developing elsewhere :) if you know what i mean...

28. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Shenelle @ Oct 3 2008, 02:42 PM) [snapback]1010487[/snapback]
    I will always remember when my mom helped me shave for the first time... i was 12... in 6th grade... it was so weird feeling my legs with no hair on them... and gave me something to be excited about sinec i still wasn't developing elsewhere :) if you know what i mean...
    Heather asked me if her legs were supposed to feel silky. :laughing:

29. vickyc76

vickyc76 Well-Known Member

Mine started shaving early...like around 10 because they were being teased about having "man legs". They are very hairy and it stuck through tights and stuff.

I know we place a lot of emphasis on this being a big step, but really it's just hair and if they are ready to shave then I say let them shave.