Infant/children's medicine recall?

Discussion in 'General' started by rematuska, Oct 11, 2007.

1. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard about a recent recall of infant or children's medicine? A friend told me she heard about it on the news, but I looked for details and couldn't find it anywhere. Even the news site where she said heard it from... Just checking to see if I am missing it or if she got it wrong.

Thanks!

2. TD

TD Well-Known Member

Infant cough and cold medicines recalled
    Debra Sherman, Reuters
    Published: Thursday, October 11, 2007
    CHICAGO -- Johnson & Johnson's McNeil Consumer Healthcare unit is recalling certain infants' nonprescription cough and cold products because of the danger of overdose, the company said on Thursday.

Data show that when misused, the medicines can lead to overdose, especially in infants under two years old, McNeil said.

It said it is recalling Concentrated Infants' TYLENOL Drops Plus Cold; Concentrated Infants' TYLENOL Drops Plus Cold & Cough; PEDIACARE Infant Drops Decongestant (PSE); PEDIACARE Infant Drops Decongestant & Cough (PSE); PEDIACARE Infant Dropper Decongestant (PE); PEDIACARE Infant Dropper Long-Acting Cough; and PEDIACARE Infant Dropper Decongestant & Cough (PE) products from the U.S. market.

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Thank you!

4. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

5. kim j

kim j Well-Known Member

There was something about this on the Today show a couple of weeks ago too! Kind of scary as the previous week my girls had colds and I was giving them Infant Tylenol Cold medicine. AND I had given them the little colds stuff too when they were about 5 mos. with their first cold. No more though.

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

7. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

If I read correctly the products are not tainted but the recall is related to a few parents/child care providers abusing and over dosing the product. It's sad but true but many an over tired parent or a frustrated child care provider has found that a little cold meds make the baby/child drowsy - so they think a little more can't hurt. It clearly says on the product that babies under the age of 2 - consult your physcian. It's the same on the infant tylenol drops (not the cold formula) and I hazard that most parents have consulted their pedi's to find out dosages for teething, after getting shots, etc.

My fear is now that the infant products have been recalled, parents will try to adjust dosages of adult meds for the same purposes. To me that is much more dangerous than having infant medications on the shelf that the vast majority of parents and child care providers use responsibly. I can just imagine those same parents/child care providers that were the ones to abuse and overdose infants on the cold meds will resort to adult formulas and liquid benadryl.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not sure the recall is the appropriate solution. When the boys had their first colds the pedi told our daughter that they no longer recommended decongestants for infants. This same group of pediatricians saw my own daughters and in those days dimetapp was the recommendation. After thinking about it and reflecting on reading how day cares had overdosed babies, I just concluded that the real reason might just be that people were overdosing the little ones - now it's confirmed.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

HERE is the list!

9. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aandax246 @ Oct 11 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]445899[/snapback]
    My fear is now that the infant products have been recalled, parents will try to adjust dosages of adult meds for the same purposes. To me that is much more dangerous than having infant medications on the shelf that the vast majority of parents and child care providers use responsibly. I can just imagine those same parents/child care providers that were the ones to abuse and overdose infants on the cold meds will resort to adult formulas and liquid benadryl.

Exactly my reaction when I heard about the recall. The people they're trying to SAVE will just move to adult formulas. Yeesh.