"Incomplete" results on mammogram

Discussion in 'General' started by DATJMom, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Hey ladies-

I had my first mammogram done last week and the results on the left breast came back "incomplete," the right one was fine. I have to go back for another mammogram and ultrasound of that breast. Does anyone have any input on this? How about the positive stories? I am just a "little" worried :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. caba

caba Banned

It happens to my mom at almost every single mammogram she has. She has very fibrious (I think that's what it's called) breasts, and she is bigger chested, and sometimes it is hard for them to get a good read. In fact, I've heard that happen to a TON of people, where they have to go back again. Totally normally ... try not to stress!!!

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have no experience with this Rachel, but wanted to send you some :hug:'s

:hug: :hug: :hug:

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rachel, my three sisters and one of my sil have all been called back. My sister Kathleen (38) just had this. She went in for her first mammogram and was called back. A week and a half ago, she went in for a second mammo and an u/s. They told her then that she needed a biopsy. At the time, they said it was probably benign and a fibrous cyst (I think that was the word). Anyway, she had the biopsy on Thursday and it is benign. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, so it is that much more worrisome for us. My other two sisters have "dense breast tissue" and that's why their mammograms aren't always easily readable. (I had a reduction in 2000 and wonder if the removal of so much breast tissue makes mine easier to read?)

Anyway, :hug: it is scary to deal with. When do you go back?

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My mom has a ton of fibroids and has to have the tests redone and lumps biopsied frequently. I'm glad they aren't chalking it up to just a bad scan and are really going to double check it for you. When is the next one?

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jun 15 2009, 10:38 AM) [snapback]1354803[/snapback]
    Anyway, :hug: it is scary to deal with. When do you go back?

Thanks for all of your positive stories. You guys are making me feel better already. It's just so scary. My OB is mailing me a "script" to get the tests. I will probably go Friday.

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

My mom and sister are in the fibrous breast tissue club too. They get called back to be re-scanned and have U/S's as well. Plus, with this being your first mammogram, I am sure they want a good read to be able to compare it to for future reference.

8. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with this, just wanted to say good luck on Friday :hug: . I'm sure it's fine. My Mom had breast cancer so I know how scary it is. My sister and I are supposed to have ultrasounds on our breasts once we hit 35. (My Mom is fine BTW)

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: Rachel! I have no experience, but I hope everything turns out OK!

10. 4EverHis

4EverHis Well-Known Member

My mom has this happen almost every time also for the very same reason as stated previously! I just had my first one and last week also! Great to turn 40, eh? I hope things turn out well and try not to worry!

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: I had to have a f/u ultrasound done on mine- fibrous cysts and dense boobs :rolleyes: Good luck on friday.

12. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

This happened to me last year. i did have to get a biopsy, and it was clear. I got back every year now, for a mammogram. But things are fine. I dont have the fibrous cysts, but just a 'spot" of fatty tissue on my left breast. I also have a lump there. The biopsy wasnt bad at all..the ultra sound is very easy. The worse part is the waiting for the results. I am thinking of you..keep us updated.

Brandy

13. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I've been called back, too - once I was sent to the hospital for a second follow-up mammogram and was really freaking out. But everything was fine. They noted the results in my file, so now they know what to do to get an accurate mammogram to prevent my having to be called back. Good luck!

14. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just wanted to wish you luck on Fri! I had my first mammogram in Dec when we found two lumps. Turned out to be nothing, they did an u/s as well. Our place was great, its a new Breast Health place, all in one building and you get all the results that day so there is not torture of waiting...I wish they had that for everyone.

15. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I got called back---it turned out to be swollen lymph nodes that showed up. Had a follow up exam w/ Dr a month later and they were gone---prob was fighting an illness at the time I got it done.

I am also young (30) and am small chested (denser tissue).

Hope all goes well!!

KC

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Rachel, like others, this happens to my Mom, she has fibrous breasts too. Please let us know how you make out!

17. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

When I went for my first mammogram, they told me not to be surprised if I got a call back. Since it is the first, they don't have anything to campare it to, so they compare your right and left breasts, if there is a difference (and many people have different tissue in each breast), they will double check. From here on out, they have a baseline to compare to, so they can match left to left and right to right, to look for changes. This is the reason my OB had me go for a baseline at 35 (well, I didn't actually go until 36), and then start annually at 40.