In hospital at 30 weeks and 3 cm dilated

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KimmiLynn4, Aug 5, 2009.

1. KimmiLynn4

KimmiLynn4 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. So, I went to regular ultrasound check on Tuesday, since my cervix has been shortening. They decided to hook me up to the monitor to see if I was contracting. Sure enough, I had 4 in a half hour. So up to labor and delivery I go. When I get there, I'm contracting about every 2 minutes and I'm 3cm dilated. Now I'm freaking out, because I didn't really have any symptoms, and I wasn't even feeling all the contractions they were picking up. They have put me on magnesium sulfate and given me both steriod shots. The contractions are much slower (1-2/hour), but they're still there. They are taking me off the magnesium tomorrow, hoping that labor is stopped.

I'm so scared. Has any experience with this and still been able to hold on, at least a little bit? I'm just hoping that my labor has been stopped. I just feel so helpless and worried.

2. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

Oh gosh. That is scary! I'm so glad you went in and were able to get the steroid shots, though.

I never dilated past a 1 with my boys, but, I did contract from 28 weeks on, and I had my boys at 32 weeks. They gave me Terbutaline several times a day, and when that stopped working they gave me Procardia, and when that stopped working they did a different pill. Anyway, it kept my contractions under control, and when I delivered at 32 weeks it wasn't because of contractions. :)

Good luck - I hope your contractions stop and those babies stay put for weeks to come!

3. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Sorry I have no answers but just wanted to give you :hug:. Good luck momma!!

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm sorry for the scare. :hug: I'm glad they got the contractions to slow down and I hope you are able to cook them for longer. :hug:

5. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

YES!!! I was 3cm dilated at 20 weeks and made it until 31. Obviously the circumstances are different, but there is so much modern medicine can do to help keep your labor at bay when they catch it in time and it looks like for you they did :) My biggest pieces of advice would to be to hold onto hope as tightly as you can and do everything they tell you to do. Drink lots of water. Lay as flat as possible. Stay in bed as much as you can manage. Let them wake you up around the clock for meds. Whatever it takes! Bedrest and PTL are both very hard things to go through. We have posted some of our success stories under the bedrest forum if you want to check them out. Wishing the very best for you :youcandoit:

6. DayDreamin

DayDreamin Well-Known Member

:hug: I know how scary it can be... hang in there. I went in to the hospital at 30 weeks also. Same thing: dialated 3cm and contractions one right after the other - and I felt fine. Wasn't feeling a single contraction :shok: . I couldn't believe it! They put me on mag sulfate and gave me the steriod shots for their lungs. I only made it to 31 weeks 2 days, but not because of the contractions - the mag sulfate got that under control. Baby B's water broke - within a few hours my cervix had dialated to 6cm, and there was no going back. I am wondering about the mag sulfate for you though... They kept me on that until just shortly before wheeling me in for the c-section. That is what kept me from contracting. I would be a little concerned about your contractions coming back if they take you off of that - unless they are going to try something else :pardon: ?

:hug: Good luck, and let us know how you are doing!

7. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: Momma! I had almost the same thing happen to me, but I was only 24 weeks along! It is truly amazing how fast things can change. I was not even aware at the time that you could have contractions you didn't feel. I hope you are able to keep those babies in a while longer. Everyday you can keep them in your tummy is 3 days they won't have to be in the NICU. Keep up the god work!! :hug:

8. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Oh how scary I don't have an answer for you, sorry! It looks like you are in good hand, hopefully your little ones will stay baking. Hang in there and good luck.

9. fahrenheit79

fahrenheit79 Well-Known Member

I have been dilated for the last 9 weeks. I never got the mag sulfate. My 1st 3 weeks I was on terbutaline, and got switch on procardia because my dr didn't want my body to start getting used to the terb so we could use it again if and when the contractions broke thru the procardia. So don't lose hope and stay in bed as much as possible. I have daily shower privilege, but decided to only shower every 2/3 days. I only get up to use the loo, and heat up my food in the microwave, so I try to kill 2 birds with one stone and warm my food only when I am ready to use the bathroom. ;)
    My cervix is still shortening, so if it got shorter by my next u/s, I may even stop getting up to heat my food. I pray that I make it to 35w. God willing, if I make it that far, I will have been on 12w of hospitalized bedrest and 1w of home bedrest (I am suposed to go home at week 32),. So I have no doubt you can make it thru 5-8w of bedrest!
    Goodluck

10. KimmiLynn4

KimmiLynn4 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your support. The magnesium sulfate has stopped the contractions, and now I'm on procardia and staying in the hospital until further notice. The longer I can keep these babies in, the better. I am staying positive, and celebrating every day that passes that nothing happens. Thank you all again for your support and stories of success.

11. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

that is great news your contrax stopped. I am also at 3cm, but a bit ahead at 33weeks. Still I want to get further and am getting d/c home tomorrow. I am glad they are keeping you! going home scares the crap out of me! post in bedrest fo, i did and it is lonely over there!

12. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

GReat news mom, lets hope those babies stayput for awhile.

13. betha

betha Well-Known Member

At 24 weeks I started to have contractions, dilate and my cervix dropped down to 6 mm (almost nothing). They thought an early birth was imminent. I went through all of the usual stuff, hospitalization, drugs, bed rest, steroid shots. I went home after a week in the hospital and returned probably 4 more times. I ended up making it to 36 weeks on strict BR. My twins are now 11 months and terrorizing our house :blink:
    Yes, they can stop labor and you can make it further. You have already passed one of the big milestones, 28 weeks for viability. Hang in there. Every day and week helps them grow stronger. I was on bed rest all last summer. I hated it and it's a bad memory. But it's worth it to give them the best start that is possible. I know it's scary, but hang in there.
    take care, Beth

14. kierasmom

kierasmom Well-Known Member

That happened to me at 32 weeks with my twins. My doctor did a cervical check and I was 3cm, so he sent me to the hospital for U/S and NST. U/S went well, the babies were head down. When they did the NST I was having regular contractions that I didn't even feel. Then when they checked me again they said I was 3-4cm dilated so that earned me steroid shots and a night in the hospital. They used terbutaline and the contractions slowed(and stopped for some of the time). The next morning the contractions started up again and I noticed they increased when the lady was constantly pushing on me to find the heart beats. This time I started to feel the contractions. I requested to transfer hospitals because my doctor was out of town at the time and the only other doctor was very inexperienced in multiple births. After switching hospitals they wanted to give me magnesium but I refused it. I got more terbutaline. My contractions stopped until they wanted to keep messing with me to find both heart beats, and then the contractions started up again. I decided that they were the ones irritating my uterus and I started to refuse constant monitoring. I agreed to a certain amount of time every few hours. I also stopped letting them check my cervix because I was afraid they would put me into active labor by messing with my cervix to much. After several hours of no contractions they agreed to release me on Procardia. I only took a couple pills because they made my body feel so still/calm that I didn't feel alive.

I went to my doctor when he got back from vacation and he agreed with all of my decisions. He put me on bedrest and said he felt everything was okay. I lasted until 35 weeks(and 2 days I think) when my water broke.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there.